Seagate makes 60TB SSD

DKT27

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2016 at 11:36 PM, oliverjia said:

darn, still remember my first computer with a massssive 3 GB hard drive. 

My first real HDD had 10 MB, before that we were using disk packs which were removable storage and could be configured to increase storage.  First disk pack was 5 MB.

On 8/28/2016 at 7:13 AM, mona said:

@LeetPirate

All what you wrote in your post is absolutely true, but what do you think about such scenario :

I lately felt it's time for my first ssd. Decided to buy the one of around 250 GB capacity. Favorite brands :  Cruicial MX200 or Samsung EVO 850.

BUT .... while shopping for a good price my husband unexpectedly stumbled upon the great deal on 500GB Samsung EVO 750.

The 500GB capacity EVO 750 was brand new at that moment. It has been introduced to the market like 7-10 days ago only and in fact - it was the first 500GB 750 EVO offer/deal I've ever saw.

The price was around $105, the same as for the BEST deals on 250GB Samsung EVO 850.

We went for it immediately (there were only 7 items on sale).  Was it a mistake ?

The 750 Evo is similar to the 840 Evo which started out with a bang but developed problems over time that were never solved by Samsung despite their best efforts in releasing firmware updates. The issue had to do with the error correction system, basically the TLC nand flash has tons of bit errors and the SSD relies on error correction algorithms to piece your data back together.

This is why TLC is never my first choice because the concept seems flawed to me that we must accept corrupted data bits as the standard and rely on error correction 100% of the time and hope for the best outcome.

However, even though the 750 Evo uses standard TLC nand as the 840 Evo, Samsung did something new, they used the 850 controller which uses a more robust hardware and software combo error correction called low density parity check.

This means that in theory everything should be OK and for the price you certainly got a great deal. It may be too soon to tell but given that the only major issue with the 840 Evo was addressed in a significant way in the design of the 750 Evo, I believe Samsung may have gotten it right this time around. I think the 750 Evo retails at around US$150 + taxes so I don't think your purchase was a mistake, you got a great deal and an SSD that could very well outlive the rest of components in your pc.

Archived