How to reset your Windows 10 password

Jordan

How to reset your Windows 10 password

You are asked to enter an account password on most Windows 10 machines before you get access to the operating system.

Windows 10 users may choose a variety of authentication options: from traditional passwords to a Pin or biometric authentication options called Windows Hello.

Most Windows 10 users are probably signing in to accounts using passwords though.

Tip: if you are the only user on a machine, set it up to sign in automatically on Windows 10.

Windows 10 supports two different account types: local accounts and Microsoft accounts. Local accounts are identical to accounts on previous versions of Windows. Data is stored locally, and the account is only known on the local device.

A Microsoft Account on the other hand is an online account, and as such, introduces new options to reset the account password should the need arise.

Windows 10: local account vs Microsoft account

windows 10 accounts

The main distinguishing factor is that Microsoft accounts use email addresses as the username. Also, a local account works only on the machine you create it on, while you may use the same Microsoft Account on any device you own, and on the Internet to access Microsoft services such as OneDrive or Office365.

Basic Windows 10 settings are also synced across devices that you sign in with the same account.

Another difference is that local accounts can only be attacked on the local machine, while Microsoft Accounts may be attacked online as well.

A Microsoft Account is required to interact with windows Store. Last but not least, a Microsoft Account can never have a blank password, while a local account can.

If you still have access to the Windows 10 device, you can find out which account type you use in the following way:

1. Use Windows-I to open the Settings application.
  2. Navigate to Accounts.
  3. There you should see listed whether the account in question is a local or Microsoft account. The Microsoft Account is listed with its email address.

windows 10 all accounts

If the settings application does not work for you, or if you want to check other accounts on the system as well, do the following:

1. Make sure you are signed in as an administrator.
  2. Press Windows-Pause to open the System Control Panel applet.
  3. Select Control Panel Home.
  4. Select User Accounts. You see whether the current account is a local one or not right there.
  5. Select Manage another account.
  6. The next page lists all accounts, and whether they are local or Microsoft accounts.

Resetting a Microsoft Account password

Microsoft puts Microsoft Accounts front and center on Windows 10 by making it the default option during setup. It is likely that the majority of users are signing in using Microsoft Accounts and not local accounts because of that.

Good news is that it is easy to reset the Microsoft account password.

Step 1: Open the Password Reset page on the Internet

i forgot my password

Since you are using a Microsoft Account, you may reset it on the Internet. That is handy if you are locked out of your PC but have a smartphone or other device with Internet access as you can use those for that.

The "why can't you sign in" page lists three options:

1. I forgot my password.
  2. I know my password, but can't sign in.
  3. I think someone else is using my Microsoft Account.

Select "I forgot my password" and click on next to continue.

Step 2: Enter Microsoft Account email address

recover your account

Enter the email address or phone number associated with the Microsoft account on the page that opens.

You are also asked to solve a captcha on the page. If you find it hard to solve, try the audio button and listen to it instead.

Click next once you have entered your information on the screen.

Step 3: Verify your identity

verify identity account

You need to verify your identity on the next page. Microsoft lists options on the page that depend on information you provided the company with earlier.

You will see listed the primary email address associated with the account, but may also get options to use text, secondary email addresses or an application.

If you select email or text, Microsoft generates and sends a code to the email or phone number which is used to verify ownership of the account.

Step 4: Enter Code

enter security code

The code is a seven digit number that you need to enter on the next page. For that to work, you need access to your mobile phone or email account.

Step 5: Two-factor authentication

password reset one more time

If you have enabled two-factor authentication -- you should -- you are asked to repeat the same step again, but with another verification option.

You are asked to enter the second code on the next page to complete the process.

Step 6: Reset your password

reset your password

If verification was successful, you may select a new account password for your Microsoft account on the next page.

The password needs to be at least eight characters and cannot be the same password that you used previously.

your account has been recovered

Please note that users signed in to the account on a Windows 10 machine won't be logged out once the password is changed.

The password won't be accepted anymore however when they try to sign in the next time on the device. Also, some features that rely on a Microsoft Account won't work anymore immediately. This is for instance the case when you try to access Windows Store.

Resetting a local Windows account

Local accounts are a different beast as you cannot use a handy online form to reset the account password.

You can check out our reset local Windows password guide for starters, or use one of the following tools or guides instead.

Tools

Guides

SOURCE

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very good material to study and learn in case it is required. Many thanks !

It is interesting that no one is talking about how to use the built "Administrator" account, which have no password, till computer user changes it. And if to change, then can add hint, which helps remember the local administrator password. Also can use USB stick to restore password etc.
It's a much simpler way to use at first and then go to internet and change Your Microsoft account password as usually.

By default the "Administrator" account is not protected by any password, it is empty, and anyone can use it. Also, a thief, if he is able and knows how.

• 1 month later...

For microsoft account or domain account, password reset is very easy. The most difficult is for local password reset. In the past, we preferred reinstalling the windows os but this would cause data loss and take a lot of time. However, there are a couple of tools being developed in last few years to help you easily reset the password. Here is the one for windows 10 password reset. You only need create a bootable usb drive to reset the password,

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2016 at 3:36 PM, Kalju said:

It is interesting that no one is talking about how to use the built "Administrator" account, which have no password, till computer user changes it. And if to change, then can add hint, which helps remember the local administrator password. Also can use USB stick to restore password etc.
It's a much simpler way to use at first and then go to internet and change Your Microsoft account password as usually.

By default the "Administrator" account is not protected by any password, it is empty, and anyone can use it. Also, a thief, if he is able and knows how.

Isn't the built in Administrator account hidden by default? If I forget my admin account password in windows 10, how can I enable built in Administrator account?

Yes, it is hidden and also isn't activated till You itself will activate.
How to activate? Has been already more thousand +1 times written here and everywhere else. Open Google Searc and look for "Activate Administrator account", it is a bit different in XP and Vista, but similar in W7-W10.
And of course is different if You can Login and if You cannot log in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Activate+Administrator+account&oq=Activate+Administrator+account&aqs=chrome..69i57.2631397j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• 7 months later...

What to do, if You forgot Windows 10 password and it is not the same as is Microsoft account password, but is local password.
Most likely the the previously shared tutorial may not help You. Why? Windows is a bit changed and the Microsoft account related login is the same, but there are some changes if You have only local account. 
My recommendation is to create a password reset USB stick. How?
It is also a bit changed and the tutorial, what You can find using Google search, may not help You. But You can find something from here.

Spoiler

I forgot my Windows logon password, what to do?

Maybe this tutorial helps 

https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

or this

https://www.reneelab.com/reset-windows-10-password-without-reset-disk.html

To avoid such problems in the future, make a password reset USB/disk

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Write in search (right top) Create a password reset disk
  3. Insert USB Flash Drive
  4. Click on link (left) Create a password reset disk
  5. If Wizard opened, follow the instructions 

One another way what may help.

If this has already happened, on another computer download and install Lazesoft Recover My Password Home which is free. Create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI/BIOS settings. I am not sure of the key to tap, but it may be ESC, F2 or something else, it depends what computer You have. This will only reset your original local password, not the Windows Account Password.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

It may be safer to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and login to it to reset your local password

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

A lot of success for You and everyone who thinks it was helpful.

Archived