OneDrive - downsizing storage capacity -told it not to

summer-shower

summer-shower

At the beginning of this year in January or December last year on this forum I read Microsoft's plan to reduced OneDrive storage down to just five GB, but it said it could be prevented if you took action before some certain date in February (I think). This entailed simply going to a special web site and stating you want to opt out (of the demotion) So  that's what I did and thought no more about it until about a week ago when I get two emails specific to me from MS-OneDrive people informing me to take action to reduce stuff as it will take effect on 10 August. 

My thoughts were WTF. Anyone else in a similar situation?

• Replies 5
  • Views 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Airstream_Bill
3 minutes ago, summer-shower said:

At the beginning of this year in January or December last year on this forum I read Microsoft's plan to reduced OneDrive storage down to just five GB, but it said it could be prevented if you took action before some certain date in February (I think). This entailed simply going to a special web site and sating you want to opt out (of the demotion) So  that's what I did and thought no more about it until about a week ago when I get two emails specific to me from MS-OneDrive people informing me to take action to reduce stuff as it will take effect on 10 August. 

My thoughts were WTF. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I guess I was fortunate.  I was able to keep mine but my girlfriends even though I told them as you did I wanted to keep was taken away and she was just given 5 Gig.  ????

At the moment I have all my GB's, but I believe that unless you pay, everybody's OneDrive space will downsize to 5 GB, on August 14, 2016.  I forgot where I read it, but that's the reminder I had jotted down in notepad.  I think the 'opt out' was only for early demotion.  I did this too, that's why I was able to keep everything until the mandatory 5 GB demotion in August.

kowalski215

I currently have 130GB right now to be used. Leaving a "Bing Bonus" of 100GB aside which will expire in 2017, I still hve 15GB free and 15GB Camera Roll untouched. I joined the "promotion" you mentioned in your first post.

From the way I read it... what affects me and my 40gb of free storage ;

Camera Roll 15gb goes away.

The basic 5 gb stays

Any other promotions stay.

Seems to be the bottom line on how this page explains things

https://blogs.office.com/onedrive_changes_faq/

What happens if I have extra storage from a promotion or some other offer?

The storage you have as part of other promotions is not affected by this change.

Archived