Indie rock musician Ali Azimi: 'It's heartbreaking that I can't perform in Iran'

Vic Vega

Iranian performer makes his music in London, where he can avoid the censorship ‘that makes songs impotent’

1301.png?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Ali Azimi as depicted on the cover of his latest album, Till Glory Finds Us. Composite: Negin Karbasian and Navid Ghaemmaghami

Ali Azimi is sitting back to front on a donkey on the cover of the his latest album, Till Glory Finds Us. The shot of the Iranian indie musician evokes Molla Nasreddin, a folkloric Sufi figure whose dealings with his donkey are the subject of countless Iranian jokes.

The image reflects “the story of our life as immigrants,” Azimi says, sitting in his private studio on Pitshanger Lane in west London. “It takes us to a place unknown, but with our face always looking back to where we’ve come from.”

The 38-year-old’s fanbase is in Iran, where thousands follow his music online. On one platform alone, RadioJavan, one of his most famous songs, Pishdaramad – which translates as Prelude – has been played nearly 2m times. His music was also used in The Salesman, the latest offering from Iran’s Oscar-winning film-makerAsghar Farhadi.

Iranian authorities, however, view his genre of music with deep suspicion, associating it with a perceived western “cultural invasion”. When Azimi founded the band Radio Tehran, he was forced to operate underground before deciding to pursue his career freely abroad.

read more/source

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, as i guessed the source is guardian, well known for spreading lies and releasing political-based articles like this. what else could we expect :D 

SnakeMasteR

Where is your proof of them lying? Not a single argument or proof you posted. Next.

6 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Yeah, as i guessed the source is guardian, well known for spreading lies and releasing political-based articles like this. what else could we expect :D 

Greetings from The Great Satan1!  Are you suggesting he plays up the level of censorship and government interference he would face in Iran to gain sympathy or attention in the UK? 

1 Yes, I know it's better translated as "The Great Deceiver", but it doesn't sound as cool.

8 hours ago, n0_risk! said:

Where is your proof of them lying? Not a single argument or proof you posted. Next.

I don't need to prove u anything. Start reading previous articles about Iran and war in Syria..full of lies. The only reliable source I can suggest u read and is fair about whats happening in the world is RT.com or PressTV

1 hour ago, jtmulc said:

Greetings from The Great Satan1!  Are you suggesting he plays up the level of censorship and government interference he would face in Iran to gain sympathy or attention in the UK? 

1 Yes, I know it's better translated as "The Great Deceiver", but it doesn't sound as cool.

To answer your question: No

SnakeMasteR

What does war in Syria has to do with censorship in Iran? And why would i care about your personal opinion dealing with the subject? I don't care about what you think seems fair, only facts matter, that you didn't provide. So the article is perfectly the truth to me.

I mean Guardian is famous for spreading lies about Iran, war in Syria was an example but pff...who am i talking to, lol

even I can't confirm all that's written there is true, who are u to confirm? xD

SnakeMasteR

Your post is actually implying that the article is a lie, yet you can't give proof for that but everyone knows that censorship in Iran exists, like in almost every other country. But anyway, i'm no longer wasting my time with a manchild, keep showing.

Molla Nasreddin, a folkloric Sufi figure whose dealings with his donkey are the subject of countless Iranian jokes.

haa mulla nasruddin along with his donkey... jokes r very famous :D

don't they know cultural invasion also start with cars, the internet, crappy tv shows, in other words modernity....

uses electricity, you're fucked and culturally invaded

6 minutes ago, flitox said:

don't they know cultural invasion also start with cars, the internet, crappy tv shows, in other words modernity....

uses electricity, you're fucked and culturally invaded

better than getting fucked by ISIS every other months ;) 

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

better than getting fucked by ISIS every other months ;) 

this is what you get when you go in the way of archaic moronic people.

2 minutes ago, flitox said:

this is what you get when you go in the way of archaic moronic people.

I know very good people from France, they always complain about the society and what kind of crazy people they are living with...I couldn't believe them until now that im talking to ya. thanks 

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

I know very good people from France, they always complain about the society and what kind of crazy people they are living with...I couldn't believe them until now that im talking to ya. thanks 

you're welcome

20 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

and yet, in Turkey when having the choice to either travel a long & dangerous way to europe or heads east and enter Iran, most of the refugees choose to go to our shitty fucked up societies....

crazy isn't it??? maybe Iran should send their religious police to Turkey so they can put back muslims on the good way, even if that against their will, cuz they know better what is good for ya ;)

8 minutes ago, flitox said:

and yet, in Turkey when having the choice to either travel a long & dangerous way to europe or heads east and enter Iran, most of the refugees choose to go to our shitty fucked up societies....

crazy isn't it??? maybe Iran should send their religious police to Turkey so they can put back muslims on the good way, even if that against their will, cuz they know better what is good for ya ;)

you have more access to those people so why don't you ask them yourself? maybe they think Europe is better for them but poor refugees dunno that how they are going to be treated by the so called civilized people..thanks to EU governments all people are so angry and mad. soldiers also can't even go fight terrorism and ISIS, who is f***king Europe all over, because governments don't let them. 

religious police? if by that you mean what im thinking you mean then they are gone with the previous president. 

nah they don't get treated badly, yet they sure cause loads of internal tension between the native people in the country they come to. some will even say they get treated way better than poor native people.

i'll avoid you the theories that all this was planned for various reasons.

look like what you're thinking about what i was thinking about is not what i'm thinking about. a more correct term could be morality police...you gotta love your Gershad app ;)

i remember also that the religious police department is also responsible for the revisionist views on holocaust (as seen as on one of the links you once send me)

18 hours ago, flitox said:

nah they don't get treated badly, yet they sure cause loads of internal tension between the native people in the country they come to. some will even say they get treated way better than poor native people.

i'll avoid you the theories that all this was planned for various reasons.

look like what you're thinking about what i was thinking about is not what i'm thinking about. a more correct term could be morality police...you gotta love your Gershad app ;)

i remember also that the religious police department is also responsible for the revisionist views on holocaust (as seen as on one of the links you once send me)

at least we are free to talk about holocaust and challenge that incident to see whether it's true or not, they will silent you in there if you do such things ;) 

yeah morality police, better than sexualization of girls policies and countless rapes.

while i don't know what are the talks about the holocaust in your country, all we hear, especially from the authorities is a denial.

here too we can discuss about the holocaust but not deny the fact it has happened.

even that guy is not denying it, not even it's country while it is famous for having totally been against the USA for a few decades....

https://www.rt.com/politics/226707-russia-putin-auschwitz-history/

and i think he is well placed to know more than you, as alfter it's the army of his country that entered those camps 1st.

but yeah i could be wrong, i'm pretty sure you'll plenty of people to tell me that this guys is a complete liar and a land stealer, which certainly is the best proof he is in fact part of the tribe.

nah sexualization of girls do not increase the rape rate. if that was the case, only nice looking girls would be raped but unfortunatly ugly/old ones do get raped too.

and the rapes rate would be skyrocking on the nudist beaches/ area which is not the case.

and no women in the islamic world would get raped which of course is not the case, in plenty of those countries, they even get jailed for having been so.... just imagine you'd get jailed if you have your car stolen, would you think that it is fair??

Archived