Microsoft confirms exact cut off time for free Windows 10 update

steven36

Users in the UK have until 11am Saturday to push the button

TiAixXA.jpg

FROM TONIGHT, a year will have passed, Windows 10 will become a paid-for product and, if you've not grabbed your free upgrade despite an entire year of Updategate and nag screens, it will be too late.

For anyone having last minute jitters and wanting an upgrade, a Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to The INQUIRER that the free offer stops at midnight tonight UTC-10, meaning that people in the UK have until 1059 on Saturday 30 July. 

Of course, for a lot of people 'too late' isn't the phrase but rather 'thank flip' as it means that, if Microsoft is true to its word, there will be no more nagware for Windows 7 and 8.x users who don't want to make the change.

Microsoft's current figures suggest that 300 million machines now run Windows 10, but this is significantly short of the target of one billion that the company projected by the end of year two.

Just a few days later on Tuesday 2 August, Microsoft will release Windows 10 Anniversary Update, known internally as Redstone (phase one), which adds a whole bunch of new functionality.

This is the evolution of the old-style Service Packs to reflect the new Windows as a Service. It will be followed by a second Redstone early next year to tie in with new hardware, after which it is expected that the "10" will be quietly dropped in favour of simply "Windows". 

Next week's update includes Windows Ink, allowing direct annotation on the screen using a stylus, improvements to Cortana, which now replaces standard search altogether, and a new batch of games using DirectX 12, one of which is racing game Forza Motorsport 6: Apex which will be free to all upgraders.

But not everyone wants to upgrade and, despite reports of buoyant uptake in the SMB sector, there are still a large number of enterprises that simply don't want to, or can't for logistical reasons, take up the offer.

But these customers, for the most part, will be enterprises for which there has been no free offer and so today is just another day in the diary.

From the deadline, Windows 10 Home will cost £99.99 and the Professional edition will cost a hefty £189.99. Businesses will need to talk to Microsoft about the Enterprise edition as several enterprise features have been removed from the Professional edition, to the chagrin of SMBs everywhere.

Source:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2466327/windows-10-becomes-a-fully-fledged-paid-product-tomorrow-as-free-offer-expires

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and yet, there will be some people bitching they were not informed in time to get their free version

Adding to it --- with Anniversary Update you are no longer able to switch Cortana off... Cortana will always listen, always use resources. No matter what.

Also with Anniversary they cut out some Group Policy settings in the Pro (e.g. the one responsible to disabling the suggested bloatware apps by Microsoft --- like Candy Crush etc.).

40 minutes ago, dMog said:

and yet, there will be some people bitching they were not informed in time to get their free version

Why would they bitch?   you think  1 year of free in 41 years of windows is going too make a big  difference ?  Things will go back to the they was in 2015 , some will pirate it and some will get it once they buy a new PC .  And some will hold to windows 7  for many years, like they still are millions holding on too XP. 

After today it will  be a Microsoft problem if it don't sell . For 40 years it  was not free  and never was really free it was just a promotion that harmed them more than helped them , Windows phones lost them billions and they were counting  on these devices so it came out too be windows 10 was only half of what they expected it too be. . Even many  Pro Microsoft users  hurt Microsoft more than helped them  lol they be saying how good Windows 10 via there Apple or Android phones.  :)

12 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

Adding to it --- with Anniversary Update you are no longer able to switch Cortana off... Cortana will always listen, always use resources. No matter what.

Also with Anniversary they cut out some Group Policy settings in the Pro (e.g. the one responsible to disabling the suggested bloatware apps by Microsoft --- like Candy Crush etc.).

IIm already have RS1 on 2 pcs  the only think that cant be got around is Lock Screen being disabled  . The rest are noob  problems that would only effect noobs :P

7 minutes ago, steven36 said:

IIm already have RS1 on 2 pcs  the only think that cant be got around is Lock Screen being disabled  . The rest are noob  problems that would only effect noobs :P

N00b or not n00b. Actual n00bs are working in M$ and doing that sheet to the users.

If they will spit in your face will you then also laugh and explain that those are the rain drops or what?

How further should they push us till we will start resisting and sue them in a class action lawsuit?

I would not laugh/ignore what this frankenbuild of W10 is becoming...

19 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

N00b or not n00b. Actual n00bs are working in M$ and doing that sheet to the users.

If they will spit in your face will you then also laugh and explain that those are the rain drops or what?

How further should they push us till we will start resisting and sue them in a class action lawsuit?

I would not laugh/ignore what is this frankenbuild of W10 becoming...

So don't use it,  use something else if you don't like it.  But i don't want too hear peoples reasons why they try to justify why or why they don't want too use something., If you don't  have a solution like i do you just add to the problem. .I already heard everyone complain for a year about it hijacking there PC . I sure don't want hear people complaining for another year about  it . especially if they still use windows 7 and not windows 10 because its not there problem after today.

26 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

that's not true because you can easily disable Cortana just changing language to none, thats all.

Most likely dMog  iis going to be the opposite of what you think people who didn't  upgrade will will find reasons  to bitch about it  But it want be about missing the free upgrade it will be about  how bad it is . The Windows 10 haters club.  even though they don't even use it. Most of the complaints I heard about  issues in Windows 10  were from Pirates  fixing to  Pirate enterprise  Microsoft don't gain nothing from them no ways no matter what they use... But the majority of the complaining came from Windows 7 and  Windows 8.1 users were Windows 10 is not even there problem . :P

For users in the UK, this means you have up to 10:59 AM, July 30th to complete your upgrade, for those in New Delhi, the window closes around 15:59 – just after lunchtime. Microsoft defines complete as reaching the “Welcome” screen, so don’t think you can procrastinate till 11:59 and then start the upgrade – you’ll be in for quite the shock.

The free Windows 10 Upgrade offer will expire tomorrow for some

22 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Most likely dMog  iis going to be the opposite of what you think people who didn't  upgrade will will find reasons  to bitch about it  But it want be about missing the free upgrade it will be about  how bad it is . The Windows 10 haters club.  even though they don't even use it. Most of the complaints I heard about  issues in Windows 10  were from Pirates  fixing to  Pirate enterprise  Microsoft don't gain nothing from them no ways no matter what they use... But the majority of the complaining came from Windows 7 and  Windows 8.1 users were Windows 10 is not even there problem . :P

Personally I only bitch about the non Enterprise LTSB versions.  The Enterprise LTSB version is fine so far and it is the only version I currently use.  It doesn't have all the bloatware, cortana or edge and it doesn't get a bunch of crappy updates that change the way it works.  I also have full control of the group policy.

On another note I saw on the news this morning that Microsoft is going to layoff another 2850 people.

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

Personally I only bitch about the non Enterprise LTSB versions.  The Enterprise LTSB version is fine so far and it is the only version I currently use.  It doesn't have all the bloatware, cortana or edge and it doesn't get a bunch of crappy updates that change the way it works.  I also have full control of the group policy.

On another note I saw on the news this morning that Microsoft is going to layoff another 2850 people.

Now you try to justify why you bitch lol ..,Most people bitch because they like to bitch and got nothing better to do.  When it comes to windows 10 i don't take sides because I believe in freedom of choice. About you using Enterprise LTSB you're just one person out of 1,5 billion windows users most people don't work at a place were there boss give them free keys like you

So they have too steal it if they want it. So how is what you  use  helpful too to the other 1.5 billion users of windows ? unless they own a business  and most business who use Pro don't want have to pay for Enterprise LTSB ether so you are not even helpful to them ether. Only thing Enterprise does is help out Microsoft a lot   from the person who really buys it. 

OEM windows 10 grew 20% last quarter Enterprise only grew 2% this is new PCs  as far as Windows keys no ones buying them now. Maybe it will pick up or maybe not since its not free after today.. The reason they remove group policy don't got nothing to do with home users ..most home users who buy OEM never had group policy . It was business buying Pro Windows 10 PCs  and upgrading for free that caused it. now everyone who has pro must suffer.

Why can't M$ build operating systems we want.

I want Windows seven (7) G.U.I. with added steroids.

That is it.

I don't want an operating system that is trying to make Apple jealous, with little apps and touchy feely design.

I want rough n ready, a fighter, a bitch a King!

I like the stability of Windows 10, but will wait to see if Cortana can be disabled before I install the anniversary update.

1 minute ago, dac said:

I like the stability of Windows 10, but will wait to see if Cortana can be disabled before I install the anniversary update.

Yes it can be disabled  i been testing out RS1 for like a week. Windows Privacy Tweaker and O&O shut up got rid of it.. i just got normal search .  Its been really stable for me on both my AMD  and Intel machines .

Everyone can say what the're going to use or not use but the real truth is you all will be using 

windows 10 eventually because it's the only OS out there that will run everything you can throw at it

not to mention if you didn't use windows you wouldn't have anything to bitch about(and we couldn't have that)

think about it,

Linux doesn't match it

OSX isn't there yet

unix,and solaris -forget about it

what's left -windows 

you can cry(and we all know you will)

either use it or don't 

So it's a stable OS, i remember some people here said once it was still beta...funny how people change lol

2 hours ago, bigcid10 said:

Everyone can say what the're going to use or not use but the real truth is you all will be using 

windows 10 eventually because it's the only OS out there that will run everything you can throw at it

not to mention if you didn't use windows you wouldn't have anything to bitch about(and we couldn't have that)

think about it,

Linux doesn't match it

OSX isn't there yet

unix,and solaris -forget about it

what's left -windows 

you can cry(and we all know you will)

either use it or don't 

According  to what i read what sysadmins are saying they are really mad because of what  Microsoft is doing to pro windows , They way there headed  companies are going switch to Mac OSX  and Linux by 2020 . All it will take is one or two big companies to move to Linux and developers will start making great apps for it too  Only people will be left on windows will be gamers if this happens if Microsoft don't mess up gaming and run them off too.

Even Enterprise versions  you have to block stuff like candy crush no professional O/S should come with such crap. that's just ignorant to put stuff in them people don't use at work . Enterprise versions  come with all the crap and waste there time with having to block it .

RTM not equal with stability anymore.

They used us as a lab rat to test their broken software.

I removed Windows 10 after i tried.

I don't need bloatware they integrated recently.

People can  use what they want at home but when it becomes between losing you're job or learning Red Hat KDE   ,They will learn it just as fast as they would mitigating to  Windows 10, And business are mad and back lashing  many have been using refreshed computers with  pro versions of Windows since XP  .

People will pay for enterprise versions when Microsoft cuts off extended support.

Microsoft knows this and targeting SMBs for more profit.

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

According  to what i read what sysadmins are saying they are really mad because of what  Microsoft is doing to pro windows , They way there headed  companies are going switch to Mac OSX  and Linux by 2020 . All it will take is one or two big companies to move to Linux and developers will start making great apps for it too  Only people will be left on windows will be gamers if this happens if Microsoft don't mess up gaming and run them off too.

Even Enterprise versions  you have to block stuff like candy crush no professional O/S should come with such crap. that's just ignorant to put stuff in them people don't use at work . Enterprise versions  come with all the crap and waste there time with having to block it .

Everywhere I go ,whether it's a government,police station ,7-11,etc

they use windows and 80% of households use windows so it's no contest for years too come

people will still buy and use windows because it's the household name,it would take a miracle

for linux to get a sizable chunk of the market away from microsoft even with all of their issues

I'm just looking at the reality   

8 hours ago, dac said:

a few posts up will explain this for you

7 hours ago, bigcid10 said:

Everywhere I go ,whether it's a government,police station ,7-11,etc

Go tell that to all those businesses who are upset  that  Microsoft are trying to force into buying windows 10 enterprise just so they can disable apps that should never have existed on a professional PC to began with,   that still  use Windows 7 pro that have to pay for it and have to chose by the year 2020 .Why do  they even have Pro now ? they may as well stop making it  if they going turn it into Windows 10 home.  It would not matter to me if they used Linux instead i already know how to use it.

They have 2 choices  they can bend over and take it from Microsoft and sign a  enterprise contract and Microsoft will get bloody rich off windows 10 because  it has apps in the O/S that they don't want at work  or  they can migrate to some other O/S. were don't  have candy crush  and Cortana to began with.

I warned everyone if they will shit on Windows 7 and 8.1 users who  paid for windows it's just a matter of time tell they shit on windows 10 users too and this starts Aug 2nd and again there going after those that pays .. Businesses is were Microsoft makes most of it's money on Windows.

I hear things are going to get worse if  it comes down to me having to look at ads and Cortana, just to use Windows  it will be time too move on to Linux for good even as a home user . At home i just simply install witch ever O/S i want in about 20 minutes. Linux  is free and so was windows 10 for me .. So far Ive been able to get around the ads  and using  Cortana  . But if the O/S starts  controlling me instead of me controlling it  I will nuke it and install something else . The only reason I use windows is because of  a few apps I already know how to live without if i wanted too . I used  Linux more in 2016 than I have windows so far I just switch back to using windows mostly about a month ago . Any production windows apps I use on windows at home  i can put it on my old computer  with windows 7 that collects dust because I'm use to to using Linux Apps too .

I'm sure not going going to use windows 7 alot  because ive not used it as my main O/S since 2014 and it only has 3 1/2 years of updates left .  i migrated from windows 8.1 to windows 10 then  I went  back to Windows 8.1 and picked up Linux  and now  Im back on Windows 10 . At home I have freedom of choice to use what i want and change my mind when i want.  .My old windows 7 PC just mostly collects dust now.  :)

Archived