Adguard DNS Beta

Petrovic

All our users know how to block ads. Be it Windows, Android, Mac or iOS – you simply install Adguard app, and the ads are gone. But now there is a different, yet very simple way to filter ads – Adguard DNS.

Probably, not everyone knows what exactly is DNS and how it can help us to block ads, so let us explain it real quick. Simplifying it a lot, one can say that DNS (Domain Name System) is a system that translates websites ‘names’ into something browser can understand – IP addresses. Thus, each time you go to a website, your browser sends a request to a special server. That server either redirects the request to another server or replies with an IP address.

But how can it help us block ads? We create our own DNS server, which you can tell your browser to send all requests to. Our server works as a redirect DNS server: each request will be directed to its original destination, except for ads. This way, instead of ads there will be only empty spaces. Simple, isn’t it? :)

But there are, of course, some drawbacks to this scheme compared to ‘traditional’ ad blocking. First and foremost, not all ads can be blocked this way. Some websites (like Facebook, for example) use same domain names for both its content and ads. By blocking ads there we will harm websites functionality, so they are whitelisted. Also, there are no filtering rules with this approach, and that means no ‘cosmetic’ rules (which are responsible for making the page look ‘clean’ after ads are blocked) either. Even if the ad is blocked, it will leave an empty space or a frame with an icon behind itslef.

Adguard DNS can work in two different modes:

‘Default’: Ad Blocking + Stealth Mode + Browsing Security
‘Family protection’: Ad Blocking + Stealth Mode + Browsing Security + Parental Control

We’ve already covered ad blocking, and the Stealth Mode is responsible for blocking trackers and analytics. Browsing Security and Parental Control work similar to each other. Each has its own ‘black list’ of domains, and every request to that domain is redirected to a neutral page. The difference is, Browsing Security looks for requests to phishing and malware websites, and the Parental Control cares about websites with adult content. These black lists are not customizable, though: you only select which DNS server to use.

You can easily configure Adguard DNS on any of your devices. Just open our setup guide and read the instruction for your platform. You can even set up your router to use Adguard DNS servers.

It is only left to say that Adguard DNS is completely free to use. Why free? Later we will introduce a Pro version that will have wider options and will be paid to use. We also plan to use this technology in our other products.

A couple of useful links:

• If you want to follow development process, check out our GitHub repository;
  • To discuss Adguard DNS with other users, visit the forum thread

Article source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! This is too good. Router level ad blocking so any device in the network is ad free.

Now we should be able to bypass those websites which detect ad blockers maybe.

5 hours ago, jamesDDI said:

They log?

We do not save any personal data and do not log any of your actions.

6 hours ago, jamesDDI said:

They log?

What a funny question and a answer ( We do not save any personal data and do not log any of your actions) where you don't know it is true or it is a lie

If you have to be sure that there is no logging you must take a dns from a list like

0nnaxqN.png

https://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS

7 hours ago, jamesDDI said:

They log?

Most likely,  Adguard  are from Russia , Russia  seized PIA  VPN Russian servers without even telling them 1st . If they dont log now soon by law they will have too under  Russia's New Anti-Terrorism Legislation.

Edward Snowden says it's a 'dark day' in Russia after Vladimir Putin introduces draconian new surveillance laws

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/edward-snowden-vladimir-putin-russia-surveillance-laws-extremism-crackdown-dissent-a7127311.html

1 hour ago, Togijak said:

If you have to be sure that there is no logging you must take a dns from a list

I will keep using the DNS like these too not just because of anti logging  but because I like too use DNS  that match my IP country using a different DNS  from you're  IP country  anyone who checks will figure you're hiding.  There is a fine line between privacy and security. I have my DNS setup for when i change Ips i can easy change my DNS to match the country  ip im using,  all dns  servers I use  from those list are non logging ones . Just one of many things i do to score high on privacy  test . I use ublock ,  simple popup blocker and a script blocker to block ads . Why do i need DNS  to do it?

@steven36

The list was just an example and I think you are right that it is a good idea to use a DNS  that match to the IP country.

Archived