Report: Several killed in shooting at Munich shopping mall

TheMountain

TheMountain

(CNN)[Breaking news alert, posted at 1:57 p.m. ET Friday]

At least one shooter is still on the loose after a shooting inside a McDonald's at Munich's Olympia shopping mall Friday, police spokeswoman Claudia Küntzel said.

"There could be several dead and one or even several shooters are on the loose," Küntzel said.

The shooting at the McDonald's happened around 5:50 p.m. (11:50 a.m. ET), she said.

It's unclear whether shootings have occurred at other locations, and whether the gunfire has stopped.

[Previous story, posted at 1:34 p.m. ET Friday]

Gunfire rang out Friday evening at a shopping mall in the German city of Munich, leaving several people dead and others wounded, CNN affiliate NTV reported.

The shooting, which started at about 6 p.m. local time at the Olympia shopping mall, is over, police spokeswoman Claudia Kvenzel said. Kvenzel had no immediate information about casualties or what led to the shooting.

Lynn Stein, who said she works at the Jack Wolfskin store in the mall, told CNN that the shooter was inside the mall.

"I heard several shots," Stein said. "(I) was just going to buy something while my co-worker was still in the shop.

"People started running. I went outside as well; more people (were) running outside. I think I heard more shots. Then it sounded like he went to the parking house next to the mall -- several shots there."

Stein said she then went back into the mall.

"I saw ... somebody lying on the floor, presumably dead, I don't know. Or badly hurt. And there's a woman over them, crying."

Eventually, she said, police "told everyone to clear off the area and go to the other side of the street."

"And we just stayed there for a while until police told us to go further back and further back," she said.

A string of recent terror attacks have put Europe on high alert.

A truck plowed into a crowd of Bastille Day revelers in Nice, France, last week, killing more than 80 people.

This week, a teenager who said he was inspired by ISIS stabbed passengers on a German train before police shot him dead.

CNN's Claudia Otto, Bharati Naik, Vasco Cotovio, Laura Perez Maestro, Catherine Shoichet and Donie O'Sullivan contributed to this report.

CNN

• Views 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived