New virus blocks calls to your bank, so you can’t stop the theft

Petrovic

In old good (well, more or less) times, if a victim of cyber attack realised something’s wrong, he/she just could call the bank to check if everything’s all right and subsequently prevent theft.

But cyber criminals are always evolving. This time they’ve designed malware to block phone calls to your bank. How? Well, let us tell you, we found a nice article about it.

Android.Fakebank is a malware for  Android smartphones (obviously). When it got onto user’s device, it tricks the victim into replacing apps of banking institutions that they have installed with fraudulent versions that gives the attacker access to the victim’s funds.

First the virus was detected by Symantec (company engaged in web security) in October 2013, but this trojan has unfortunately evolved. Now it has nasty functionality of blocking the calls. Meaning, that virus monitors all outgoing calls on the infected device, and if the victim tries to contact his bank, calls to such phone numbers are automatically blocked.  Even if you’re worried about your account and want to just check things up – you won’t be able to call your bank, and the fraudster will have more time.

This virus mostly targets people in South Korea and Russia, and banks in those countries — but such malware could exist elsewhere in the world too. You can protect yourself by only downloading trusted apps from Google Play app store or official website that you know and trust 100% 

Because you see, some seemingly secure apps may be advanced viruses in reality.

Article source

• Replies 2
  • Views 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good reason to remember that in case of emergency you can call your bank using a conventional phone. Have the number available!

Now, considering that RUSSIAN bank clients might be endangered, maybe Russian authorities might take some positive steps against cybercriminals behind this malware.

By the way, I never do banking operations on my smartphone, don't even check my balance. So if someone somehow tries to connect my banking account from my smartphone, the bank starts making some stupid security questions with answerss not known to anyone, sometimes I'm afraid not even by me. I have them copied in a well guarded notebook in some well hidden site!

Archived