KickassTorrents Mirrors and Imposters Spring into Action

steven36

It has been just over a day since KickassTorrents (KAT) was shut down by the U.S. Government, following the arrest of the site's alleged owner. While the official site is still offline mirrors and copies are being launched left and right, with some misleadingly claiming to be an "official" resurrection of KAT.

With an active community and millions of regular visitors, KickassTorrents has been the most used torrent site for quite some time.

This ended abruptly earlier this week, following the arrest of its alleged founder in Poland. A criminal complaint from the U.S. Government revealed that entire operation had been compromised by the Department of Homeland Security.

Starting a few hours ago, the first Kickass domain was signed over to the U.S. authorities. Others are expected to follow during the days to come.

Kickass.to now displays a seizure notice, which means that the associated domain registry was quick to respond to the U.S. warrant. People who visit the Kickass.to address today will see the following banner, specifically tailored for KAT.

KAT’s seizure banner
Lcb1flq.jpg

As expected, the U.S. authorities are not the only ones to ‘lift’ KAT’s logo, many others are doing the same, but for a different reason.

Shortly after KAT went offline dozens of people began promoting mirrors and copies of the site. Some are just trying to keep lost files accessible, but there’s also a group trying to take over the brand, similar to the efforts seen following YIFY’s demise.

For example, the operator of Kickass.la sent an email to several reporters promoting a new KAT address. In a follow-up, we were told that the site is an “official backup,” and that a copy of the database is in their possession.

However, the site appears to be little more than a partial copy and the person behind it later admitted that they are not related to KAT.

Only adding to the confusion are the many other copies and alternatives claiming to be the official resurrection of KAT. Some even advertise themselves as such, but most have been available for a longer time as proxy/mirror sites.

Kickasstorrents.to, for example, has been around for a long time, hosting cached pages of the original site. The latter is also true for others, such as Dxtorrent.com. But in any case, there is no true backup with freshly added content available.

Another mirror that has been widely discussed is kickasstorrents.website.

Unlike others, the people behind this site are very clear about the fact that they are not related to the original KAT team. Their copy currently lists torrent files from the past one and a half years, but like other mirrors it doesn’t have a working forum or upload functionality.

“It’s not perfect but if users need to save and archive something it’s time. We don’t know how long it can last, but at least it’s something,” the site’s operator told TorrentFreak.

The people behind the site, who describe themselves as a group of individuals who stand for freedom of the Internet, also launched a petition on Change.org calling for the release of KAT’s alleged owner Artem Vaulin.

“We are protesting against violent attack on our right to share information and arrest of Kat.cr founder Artem Vaulin. Our freedom to share is the human right which Artem Vaulin has been providing to millions of users from all over the world,” they say.

While a notable effort, the banner promoting the cause appears to show a photo of an entirely different Artem Vaulin. The image was removed from the petition after we pointed this out, but it’s still present in the manifesto at the time of writing and being shared in news articles and on social media.

What is clear is that former KAT users are grasping at straws to get their old community back. While mirrors and copies do look like their old home, without a working forum and new content they don’t provide much of an alternative.

For now, people are probably better off not trusting any “KAT resurrection” claims. The chance of getting your password stolen is higher than finding a site with a true backup of the user database.

Source:

https://torrentfreak.com/kickasstorrents-mirrors-and-imposters-spring-into-action-160722/

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

It's time to ban the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant::duh:

Complaining about the USA is not going to bring that site back lets ban the UK, Spain , France , Poland  ,and Sweden  for closing down sites as well . If they was not uploading the USA's  media and using servers in the USA they would had no reason to shut  it down now would they?  . You can  go find you another website or you can just be angry ,  if you want to get them back go download as much you can..

Being on top is great  while you're on top ,but it also brings the heat down on you and somebody is going bring you down . Most likely if you get back up you will never be on top again While the little sites that's not on top continue and  flourish  . This is the 1st major close down the USA done since 2012  All the others  was done by the EU or former EU since that time. .

I very seldom used a torrent at all, and then only for legal things.  There are several reasons for that but I won't go into them now since with the takedown of KAT it should be obvious that a slew of John Doe warrants are going to be sought for the major uploaders/sharers in days to come.  Hope you used a good VPN that doesn't maintain ANY records, otherwise you are easy to track.  The fact that the servers were seized ought to have a lot of people destroying their drives, backups, etc., anything that could forensically connect them with KAT.  When you become over confident it just means you fall that much harder.  People have been pointing to TPB and how it came back, but honestly, it is just a shadow of its former self.  The most dangerous thing now is the false 'mirrors' of KAT which can be hosting all kinds of malware and how does one really know what is safe and what isn't.  Doesn't do any good to tell people to stay away from torrents for a while because an idiot does what an idiot does and in the end gets what an idiot deserves.

2 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Hope you used a good VPN that doesn't maintain ANY records, otherwise you are easy to track.  The fact that the servers were seized ought to have a lot of people destroying their drives, backups, etc.

Only big uploaders at  KAT  would have to worry  about such  also it depends did they just use a fake email to join or not.  they cant prove you downloaded anything  from kat on a public p2p site anyway its a open tracker you could downloaded from anywhere. .Besides  people download torrents everyday and in the USA  all they have is a  voluntarily warnings at some of isp but not all of them even sends out warnings  so its not required . all the governments  be watching everyone download all time since the early 2000s because anyone can go on p2p and get you're Ip if not using vpn and they never do nothing . Every now and then  a BitTorrent Troll  that works for the MPAA or RIAA will  take someone to court but never the government  And in some countries  its legal to p2p for personal use . They been after the owner of KAT since 2010 . In the USA its not illegal to visit torrent sites even they dont block them.

It''s illegal to download copyright protected stuffs  but the government dont ever do nothing too no one unless there making money on warez .If they did the USA would not have the 3rd most highest piracy rate in the world  they rank up there with Russia and China . :P 

What gets me the Government will take  down some big trusted p2p  site  but then 1000s of fake sites that spread malware  and have password stealers popup  and they dont do nothing about them they dont do there job and make the internet a safer place all they worried about   is catching 1 person and  let people sperd  malware and never take there sites down .

LOL and you got all these people who download Movies and Music from the USA saying ban the USA  . If they was to ban the USA from P2P there would hardly be nothing left on P2P because 90% of it comes from there,  so sorry you make no sense and you want to cause the death of p2p because that will be what happens.  .Most people speak before they think.  Be careful  what you wish for  or it may happen and you want have nothing left to download. The US government  has been shutting  down the most popular p2p programs and sites  since the days of Napster 2001 and i never seen  complaining  bring anything back .Ask all the people who use to use these dead programs and dead sites did it do any good . You have to move on and adapt with the times.  Its all in part of being a pirate is too keep cool  and adapt. :)

Welcome to the jungle
It gets worse here everyday
Ya learn ta live like an animal
In the jungle where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see
You'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me

GUNS N' ROSES

When they shut down Limewire people made clones of Limewire  hoping  to bring the   gnutella network back too life  but you cant save something unless the people who own it can save it . Same with KAT  it makes no sense to use mirrors when they were open they deleted many torrents anyway . It just shows you have a hard time grasping things  for the way they really are  . there's all kinds sites still open that has more stuff than them . Just because you're the biggest  dont mean you have the best selection of stuff .  

I wish i had a $100 for every site and program i seen die out over the years id be rich by now .

Israeli_Eagle
6 hours ago, Akaneharuka said:

Kat never require register to download the torrent that site is fake

SORRY!!!

I tested some hours before and really worked normally. I uploaded and downloaded myself! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :rant:

27 minutes ago, KP333 said:

Another one to try

try to search  for anything new that came out you find nothing  i serch a release that came out on 1 day ago i get 0 results  at TPB  i get like  30 results . :P

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

try to search  for anything new that came out you find nothing  i serch a release that came out on 1 day ago i get 0 results  at TPB  i get like  30 results . :P

Another backup clone then

niTe_RiDeR_Pr0

Bloody f***ers a-holes ! get these FDA & other fk-ers out of this world & let us internet lovers live in freedom ! :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant: Never brought & will never never buy Apple products ever ! Oh, the holy god, please bring my fav wesbite kat.cr back! Just like ThePirateBay! LONG LIVE PIRACY

On 7/23/2016 at 1:36 AM, Israeli_Eagle said:

https://kickasstorrents.to/

This is a real mirror and works at moment fully!

That site is now down :(

Archived