Afghan Teenager Spoke of Friend’s Death Before Ax Attack in Germany

SnakeMasteR

SnakeMasteR

WÜRZBURG, Germany — Over the weekend, an Afghan teenager who had arrived as a refugee last year told confidants in Germany that he had lost a close friend in Afghanistan, but who had been killed, and how and where, remained unclear.

The news seemed to unhinge the 17-year-old, who had been specially selected for foster care because he seemed to be adjusting well to his new life in Germany. His foster family noticed that the normally quiet young man appeared agitated and that he spent a lot of time on his phone.

But when he told them on Monday that he was going out for a bike ride and might be gone for a while, they had no inkling that he had left armed with an ax and a knife, determined to carry out a brutal attack in the name of the Islamic State.

Hours later, five people were hospitalized — two of them critically — after the teenager slashed them about the head and torso on a passenger train, shouting “Allahu akbar,” or God is great. The Afghan teenager, whom officials did not identify, then fled and attacked a woman walking her dog before he was cornered and killed by the German police.

Coming just days after a Tunisian man ran over and killed 84 people at a Bastille Day celebration in France, the assault in a quiet corner of Germany has once again raised questions about the lure of the Islamic State, for the mentally unstable or distraught who are willing to carry out violence.

Erik Ohlenschlager, the chief prosecutor in Bamberg, who gave the preliminary account of the episode at a news conference in Würzburg, said that the authorities were concerned about the speed with which the young Afghan appeared to have radicalized. He insisted that pending the outcome of their investigation, they could not confirm a link to the Islamic State, which released a video and claimed responsibility for the attack.

“We are aware of the video and are checking whether the identity of the person in it can be confirmed,” Mr. Ohlenschlager said. “It needs to be checked and the content to be analyzed.”

Yet Mr. Ohlenschlager said investigators had already found clues that the attacker sympathized with the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL. They included a hand-drawn flag of the Islamic State found in a notebook in his room and an Islamic State symbol printed on the T-shirt he wore during the attack.

Source: http://nytimes.com/2016/07/20/world/europe/germany-train-ax-attack.html

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Some posts hidden.

Enough of this religious nonsense. If we keep discussing, especially bashing of religion on this forum then there will be no room to discuss technology on this forum.

As for question why so many religion exists, then the answer lies in another question. Why so many languages, nature types, culture exists. Everything, everywhere on the earth is different. Religion, including other things, have been specifically made to suit that part of the world / culture / area whatever you call it.

Whether you are a believer or not. Respecting others belief is as important as respecting your own belief of believing or not.

Do not let religions, which are methods to reach the one above, be a reason for the divide for the humanity. Whether in real, or on the forums.

6 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Some posts hidden.

Enough of this religious nonsense. If we keep discussing, especially bashing of religion on this forum then there will be no room to discuss technology on this forum.

I agree.

and also

I dont think that having a "General News" forum promotes this site at all. This site is about software, software as it should be, which is why I dont understand why there is even a General News forum on this site. You could reduce or eliminate mostly all the bad feelings and improper posts if you would just delete this General News forum from the site. Also all 3 forums in "Off Topic Chat" should be deleted too IMO. If General News Forum is deleted we will just post in "off topic chat" the same stuff. They are the 4 forums on this site (except for "site related forums") (and "Entertaiment Exchange" - but you like to see "what am I eating right now" so got to keep this forum :) " ) that have nothing to do with software at all. You should realize by now that as long as nsane forums has these 4 sub forums then you will have much more than necessary bad feelings and improper posts. We are humans and will never get along or agree nicely, mostly fight and argue. You are only making hard work for yourself and making members argue and doing nothing for software by having such sub-forums.

5 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Some posts hidden.

As for question why so many religion exists, then the answer lies in another question. Why so many languages, nature types, culture exists. Everything, everywhere on the earth is different. Religion, including other things, have been specifically made to suit that part of the world / culture / area whatever you call it.

Whether you are a believer or not. Respecting others belief is as important as respecting your own belief of believing or not.

Do not let religions, which are methods to reach the one above, be a reason for the divide for the humanity. Whether in real, or on the forums.

That's like an Indian!

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Vic Vega said:

I agree. I dont think that having a "General News" forum promotes this site at all. This site is about software, software as it should be, which is why I dont understand why there is even a General News forum on this site. You could reduce or eliminate mostly all the bad feelings and improper posts if you would just delete this General News forum from the site. Also all 3 forums in "Off Topic Chat" should be deleted too IMO. If General News Forum is deleted they will just post in "off topic chat" the same stuff. They are the 4 forums on this site (except for "site related forums") that have nothing to do with software at all. You should realize by now that as long as nsane forums has these 4 sub forums then you will have much more than necessary bad feelings and improper posts. We are humans and will never get along or agree nicely, mostly fight and argue. You are only making hard work for yourself and making members argue and doing nothing for software by having such sub-forums.

We had this discussion within the staff about this, we decided to keep things like this. That is because of many reasons.

First of all, we are a community and a community cannot excel without being broad, both in mindset and actions. This broadness comes from broad range of things, from news to expressions to opinions to ideas, there is a limitless possibility. There are sites which do not offer people to express their opinion like this, some of them are still there, some of them are not. These sites, with such approach can cause inconsideration among members, something that does not contribute to a community. By all this, we giving members an opportunity to express themselves as a community.

Second, yes, we are a tech forums. The whole idea should be sticking to the tech forums status. But we cannot be single minded in our approach, especially if we want to grow as an community. When the non-tech issues takeover from the tech issues, especially when they get off track, this is when the staff step in, bringing normalcy.

Third, we are also a news site. Many members that come on nsane see it as their main source of news. Many members are not aware about things around the word, atleast not directly. We cannot isolate members to a certain limited section of news. Allowing all type of acceptable news not only improves everyone's acknowledgement of world but also makes site and community complete.

By doing all this, we make members into a community and community into a family here.

1 minute ago, DKT27 said:

We had this discussion within the staff about this, we decided to keep things like this. That is because of many reasons.

First of all, we are a community and a community cannot excel without being broad, both in mindset and actions. This broadness comes from broad range of things, from news to expressions to opinions to ideas, there is a limitless possibility. There are sites which do not offer people to express their opinion like this, some of them are still there, some of them are not. These sites, with such approach can cause inconsideration among members, something that does not contribute to a community. By all this, we giving members an opportunity to express themselves as a community.

Second, yes, we are a tech forums. The whole idea should be sticking to the tech forums status. But we cannot be single minded in our approach, especially if we want to grow as an community. When the non-tech issues takeover from the tech issues, especially when they get off track, this is when the staff step in, bringing normalcy.

Third, we are also a news site. Many members that come on nsane see it as their main source of news. Many members are not aware about things around the word, atleast not directly. We cannot isolate members to a certain limited section of news. Allowing all type of acceptable news not only improves everyone's acknowledgement of world but also makes site and community complete.

By doing all this, we make members into a community and community into a family here.

Very intelligently worded! I see your point. I believe that you've just changed my mind (which I try to keep an open one)! 

• Administrator
Just now, Vic Vega said:

Very intelligently worded! I see your point. I believe that you've just changed my mind (which I try to keep an open one)! 

Thanks. We appreciate openminded members.

TheMountain
On 7/20/2016 at 3:28 PM, Vic Vega said:

You should realize by now that as long as nsane forums has these 4 sub forums then you will have much more than necessary bad feelings and improper posts. 

Software related posts & topics are the worst offenders for promoting arguments between members. A perfect example is when uBlock (Origin) was first posted on this site & two members ran their mouths. Roughly 100 pages of arguments & their still Nsane members. I've seen (& experienced) members get ban for far less. 

You learn fast (if you want to) nobody on this site will defend you. It's up to you to stand up for yourself. People usually crumble when they realize you won't back down.

Lastly, you had no qualms posting a (closed) topic in the 'Off Topic' section. ;)

1 hour ago, pc71520 said:

No Religion promotes Killing.

This is Not Religion; it is Absurdity.

it's not religion that kill, but the people following it.

just open an history book, you'll have thousand & thousand of example

22 hours ago, flitox said:

it's not religion that kill, but the people following it.

Religion is just an empty idea without People...

What happens when Religion promotes Hatred for other Religions? Absurdity.

1 hour ago, pc71520 said:

Religion is just an empty idea without People...

What happens when Religion promotes Hatred for other Religions? Absurdity.

sure but you know how it works, it's always someone preaching that starts the hate.

Religion  is like food, everybody has his own liking and wonders why others don't like what they like themselves. But every food is good in its own way, you just need to taste it. Same goes for religion. 

except if your body needs food to survive, your mind do not need religion to survive.

you might say that your soul does but soul is just like religion, a concept invented by humanity because it could not stand the idea of having to die one day.

Archived