Windows 10 Dominates PC Gaming, New Steam Data Shows

tomm

Gamers have always been among the first to adopt new technology and software and new data provided by Valve for its Steam platform confirms that Windows 10 is no exception.

28032481555_d0d77d7c0d_o.png

The 64-bit version of Windows 10 was already the number one platform on Steam since a few months ago, but the operating system keeps growing at an incredible pace and is very close to reaching the 50 percent threshold by the end of the summer.

Last month, for instance, Windows 10 improved its share by 3.26 percent on Steam, reaching no less than 42.94 percent Windows 7 64-bit, which is currently the runner-up in these charts, lost 1.64 percent to eventually drop to 30.61 percent, so the gap between the two increases with every new month.

Windows 8.1 64-bit is also declining, with June 2016 data showing a drop of 1.01 percent to 10.07 percent. The 32-bit flavor of Windows 7 collapsed by 0.41 percent to 6.36 percent.

Windows 10, the only Windows version growing

Windows 10 was the only version to increase its Steam share last month and both the 32-bit and the 64-bit flavors gained new points last month. On the other hand, all the other versions of Windows lost ground, most likely as everyone moved to Windows 10 thanks to the gaming improvements that Microsoft implemented in this version, including DirectX 12 support.

As far as non-Windows platforms are concerned, there’s still no reason for Microsoft to worry about gaming competition on the PC.

Mac OS X has 3.60 percent of the Steam market and version 10.11.5 is the only one that improved its share last month, growing 1.13 percent. As for Linux, there’s a new small decline, this time by 0.04 percent, and Ubuntu 16.04 is the only one that improved by 0.01 percent.

Windows continues to lead the market for gaming and this new Steam figures show an increase 0.08 percent, so Microsoft’s desktop OS is now at 95.50 percent.

The Source

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shorty6100

For the most part, I do think Windows 10 IS awesome. What OS didn't have issues in its' infancy?

2 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

No surprises, DX12. Gamers adopt new tech faster than most.

Spot on!

Gamers love technological innovation. :yes:

59 minutes ago, shorty6100 said:

For the most part, I do think Windows 10 IS awesome. What OS didn't have issues in its' infancy?

None, but W10 is over a year old and still feels like a freakin' beta.

1 hour ago, PrEzi said:

None, but W10 is over a year old and still feels like a freakin' beta.

maybe you and your fellas just imagine it's beta. it's a pretty solid OS and that's why it gains more users day by day as the stats show. gamers would switch back to 7 or 8.1 if it wasn't stable. i only mentioned gamers here because we're talking about Steam's stats ;) 

6 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

maybe you and your fellas just imagine it's beta. it's a pretty solid OS and that's why it gains more users day by day as the stats show. gamers would switch back to 7 or 8.1 if it wasn't stable. i only mentioned gamers here because we're talking about Steam's stats ;) 

They are switching (and/or are forced to switch) because of DX12 (and Nagware).

I am on W8.1 x64 (custom tuned and without telemetry/spyware) and I see no friggin reason to switch. And yes - already tested W10 several times (I don't only own one computer you see).

Each and every time it was unstable, had weird problems etc. 

On different HW.

I mean.... Come on! Microsoft released like a month ago a tool to fix the Start Menu problems the users are facing...  WTF! This sounds like a stable for you ? Then your requirements are on a quite low level... 

I will switch... eventually. But not to a beta OS like it's in the current status (compared even the slow and the fast ring). 

And I was an early adopter... I tested early Whistler betas, tested Vista betas, 7 betas... on most of them I stayed till RTM. But a big no-no for 10.

8 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

They are switching (and/or are forced to switch) because of DX12 (and Nagware).

I am on W8.1 x64 (custom tuned and without telemetry/spyware) and I see no friggin reason to switch. And yes - already tested W10 several times (I don't only own one computer you see).

Each and every time it was unstable, had weird problems etc. 

On different HW.

I mean.... Come on! Microsoft released like a month ago a tool to fix the Start Menu problems the users are facing...  WTF! This sounds like a stable for you ? Then your requirements are on a quite low level... 

I will switch... eventually. But not to a beta OS like it's in the current status (compared even the slow and the fast ring). 

I exactly put it on a lot of stress and use it for a lot of works and many different kinds of software and hardware, old and new. not only there wasn't any series problem, but i can also say that there were even fewer problems comparing to Windows 8.1 and 7. a few of them can be related to the Windows update section because older versions don't use cumulative updates thus suffer a lot of problems.

it works great with 7 years old hardware as well even though their manufacturer officially say the latest Windows version they're supposed to work on is Windows 7. 

Let's agree to disagree. I have a quite different experience that you.

And doesn't it make you suspicious that they are shoveling it to you in every possible way? 

I have learned one thing --- in this world nothings comes for free.

TheMountain

Micro:shit: is using scare tactics to force the public to upgrade to Windows 10. 

The people that refuse the Windows 10 upgrade are figuratively sent to the gallows to hang for their insolence. 

35 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

Let's agree to disagree. I have a quite different experience that you.

And doesn't it make you suspicious that they are shoveling it to you in every possible way? 

I have learned one thing --- in this world nothings comes for free.

yeah I agree with that, you were quite unlucky or didn't know how to solve your problems.

nope, it's because people will miss it and after 1 year they have to pay money for it and won't be free anymore.

lol you just learned it? pfff

I knew it for YEARS that they're all :shit:. that's why I don't use Linux . XD

visualbuffs

win10 is more good on gaming! dx12 is great

i've been using win10 since RTM released on my main pc

win7 on my portable usb hdd :)

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

yeah I agree with that, you were quite unlucky or didn't know how to solve your problems.

nope, it's because people will miss it and after 1 year they have to pay money for it and won't be free anymore.

lol you just learned it? pfff

Dude, this is not that I couldn't solve my OWN problems (MS problems I cannot solve sometimes). I was doing computer repairs and diagnostics... since... forever ? DOS-Times and then later on ?

And don't play with my words... "I have learned it" is a past tense... If you are not sure look into a grammar book.... "pffff".

Just now, PrEzi said:

Dude, this is not that I couldn't solve my OWN problems (MS problems I cannot solve sometimes). I was doing computer repairs and diagnostics... since... forever ? DOS-Times and then later on ?

And don't play with my words... "I have learned it" is a past tense... If you are not sure look into a grammar book.... "pffff".

Lol Microsoft's problems are well-known and there are also well-known solutions for them. you don't have to blame others for your own lack of knowledge ;) 

I don't play with words, actually I never said  "I have learned it". next time open your eyes when quoting me pffff..

1 hour ago, saeed_dc said:

Lol Microsoft's problems are well-known and there are also well-known solutions for them. you don't have to blame others for your own lack of knowledge ;) 

Except they don't announce it officially (or deny them -- like it happened.... thousands times already?).

Then you can blame whomever... but of course not them. They are saints in your eyes it seems.

EOT for me. Pointless discussion with a blinded person. HOWGH!

7 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

Except they don't announce it officially (or deny them -- like it happened.... thousands times already?).

Then you can blame whomever... but of course not them. They are saints in your eyes it seems.

I just tell what I see. you and some others just use words like "beta" "experimental" and other useless things without telling exactly what you are referring to. maybe because there is nothing to refer to? I don't know. because you don't explain things, so I won't bother explaining either, thus my replies are like this..

I just tell the truth and what I see and that is this, Windows 10 at the present state is very much solid and a great alternative to previous versions.

Conley Powell

It's very difficult to not believe that some, at least, of the Micro$oft disciples are just plain lying. Why would they do so? Who knows?

Looking at the latest market share numbers, Windows 10 has 19% and the combined Windows 7 and 8.1 has 57%. That's three Windows 7/8.1 users for every one Windows 10 user.

The "adoption" rate after nearly a year for this free OS is hardly breathtaking, especially given the extreme lengths Microsoft has gone to.  If Microsoft are aiming at a billion Windows 10 devices by 2017, then getting the remaining 650 million while (1) charging for it, and (2) having to scale back their "enthusiastic upgrade encouragement", looks an impossible task.

And yes, DX12 would be a huge factor in the adoption by gamers. One wonders how many would have "upgraded" had DX12 been made available for Windows 7 and 8.1. I bet that if DX12 had come out only for Windows XP, Steam XP usage would have soared... :P

12 hours ago, Karlston said:

And yes, DX12 would be a huge factor in the adoption by gamers. One wonders how many would have "upgraded" had DX12

I hate to be a party popper ,If the truth be told most old pcs upgraded to windows 10 dont even have DX 12  while they  may be more windows 10 users 

DX 12 GPUs

okSK4y7.png

DX 11 GPUs

RVMuZQa.png

DX 10 GPUs

BqxNQ1t.png

DX 9 GPUs

WThFQfd.png

DX 9 and Dx11 are the most used at steam no one uses windows 10 much because of DX 12 they use it because Windows 10  was free , DX 12 would be a reason to buy new  hardware or PC something many steam users not done yet. the data is  public the op dont even give you a link to it.. but i do and this post is rehash  Windows 10 has been most popular at steam for months nothing new, but it dont have nothing to do with DX 12. Windows 10 was a free upgrade  to win 7 and 8.1 users but DX 12  cost a hardware upgrade too many . Also  you will have to register you're PC with Microsoft to change it  and maintain activation after redstone comes out  lol  . Most will get DX 12 when ever they buy new PC  . Many people parities  windows and games ,  you think  they going to buy a HW upgrade?    :P

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/207598-demystifying-directx-12-support-what-amd-intel-and-nvidia-do-and-dont-deliver

How is this new news it took the lead back in April ?

And i have windows 10  but this old news  lol.

Wow that's a new record for MS:shit:

It just took them a year to successfully enforce W10 on people with minimal knowledge on computers in order to beat a SEVEN year old OS and all this to avoid what happened with Windows XP.

Now enjoy your unified tablet OS with the innovation to legally steal your data while offering you cortana in exchange :D 

Enjoy an event log spammed with errors , updates failing to install , auto installed drivers crashing systems and much more new MS crap.

Lets not forget the 10k MS paid for just a single Win10 enforce and i believe more lawsuits are in order.

8 minutes ago, haxzion said:

Enjoy an event log spammed with errors , updates failing to install , auto installed drivers crashing systems and much more new MS crap.

I dont even bother to put Windows 10 on my old pc even though it has Windows 10 digital entailment   because of this,  Its only on my newest  PC because it has Windows 10 drivers and Windows 10 firmware, it was meant to upgrade to windows 10  . Even on surface 4 Microsoft has been pushing out firmware updates for a year  on Windows 10 and that's Skylake  . No wonder HP is the most bought Windows 10 PCs and they say there junk even :P

19 minutes ago, haxzion said:

Wow that's a new record for MS:shit:

It just took them a year to successfully enforce W10 on people with minimal knowledge on computers in order to beat a SEVEN year old OS and all this to avoid what happened with Windows XP.

Now enjoy your unified tablet OS with the innovation to legally steal your data while offering you cortana in exchange :D 

Lets not forget the 10k MS paid for just a single Win10 enforce and i believe more lawsuits are in order.

lol if you're right then show us some proof at least for Microsoft stealing our data. or else without the proof your statements are as worthless as the :shit: emoji :D 

O&O shutup  does pretty good at blocking all that but it still calls out SIH Client to windows updates and i keep it blocked  with a firewall and dont have nothing to do with me getting windows updates so why does it be calling out?

LOl here is 22 pages of people talking about windows 10 privacy  so the problem do exist and if you're a noob  they just  own you..

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-10-privacy.377785/

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

O&O shutup  does pretty good at blocking all that but it still calls out SIH Client to windows updates and i keep it blocked a firewall and dont have nothing with me getting wing windows updates so why does it be calling out?

LOl here 13 pages of people talking about windows 10 privacy  so the problem do exist and if you're a noob  they just  own you..

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-10-privacy.377785/

Lol look who calls me a noob. can't stop laughing :D 

kid, even Snowden couldn't prove Microsoft is stealing data, what the hell are you talking about by showing me some forum posts? Lol

Archived