Linux Desktop Marketshare Just Passed 2 Percent

vissha

Linux Desktop Marketshare Just Passed 2 Percent

Screen-Shot-2016-07-01-at-12.45.15.png

Worldwide Linux marketshare has passed 2% for the first time, according to data from analytics company Netmarketshare.

The stat firms figure for Linux desktop usage in June 2016 is the highest share they’ve ever reported.

Interestingly, Netmarketshare do track Android and Linux separately, something that many similar companies do not.

Penguin fans can take some heart from the figure but, like all stats, the figures are wide open to interpretation and debate.

Rival tracking companies vary differently in how they track and report Linux desktop marketshare. Netmarketshare tracks browser visits to  an “exclusive on-demand network of HitsLink Analytics and SharePost clients [which] includes over 40,000 websites, and spans the globe.”

Just 40,000 websites? That isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things, is it? Can extrapolated aggregate data for an entire desktop operating system be accurately deduced from visits to a small handful of websites?

How long is a piece of string?

Wikimedia, for example, track visits to just one network of sites, albeit one that includes one the web’s single most visited sites in Wikipedia! Their tracking data shows the more familiar figure of ‘around’ 1.1% for Linux, based on data ending June, 2016.

But head over to W3Counter and things look better for Linux with an estimated 2.48% of wworldwide platform share during the month of June, 2016.

Fact Is: We’ll Never Really Know Linux Marketshare

Trying to track Linux usage is always going to be fraught. With multiple distributions, kernels and browsers, there’s never a truly clear picture. Whatever point percentile you think Linux may have is largely moot: the OS remains so comparatively small on the desktop that it’s hard to attribute much significance to any rise or dip in values.

But 1%, 2% or 2.48% — Linux is still awesome, no matter how many desktop users actually use it.

Source

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article says what everyone knew for years no one really knows how many  people uses it , because it's free other than the few paid distros for enterprise the free distros don't have no market value what so ever. So how do you put a market on something that don't have one ? It's non profit so you can't compare it to proprietary OS .

Here's a article about it in 2008  when  net market claimed it only had 1%

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/67031.html

Here's a article in 2001  that said it only .25 percent  .

.http://www.macworld.com/article/1020545/linux.html

People have been trying take something that has no market  and write news about  it's market for  years and years.  it's not really news because it's non profit  it has no value.. the money they get goes to pay for there web sites and build new O/S . That's like comparing Nsanedown to YouTube  :P

Alot people enjoy this site everyday but it's non profit it's money goes to keep the site going ,Youtube  makes a profit and pays people to post. You dont get paid here . Just like Microsoft makes a profit and pays people . It's stock is owned by 10 billionaires even . Wake up people and get with reality. .

That's like going to disrowatch to see how many uses it ..That don't tell you much ether because people who use a certain distro is not going too go there to get it. There going go to the distros download page to get it . I only go there too  see if any new distros came out . If i want to see what's updated for the distro i use i go to my distros site a lot times  it dont  get even posted at distowatch  and who wants to visit 90 pc news sites that has linux press to find out something that you can read from the horses mouth ? :)

I read linux news from coumpterworld and zdnet some but when i really want to learn about what's going on with Linux i visit Linux forums and Linux sub  Reddit were comments are posted by real Linux users and not non Linux users.

2% yay! no wait see the stats when Microsoft releases Redstone update. nobody today wants to spend so much time, again, to learn a different OS because it's free? at what cost? nah come on..Linux stats is never gonna get even near Windows' stats. not even after 100 years. why? cuz Microsoft not gonna sit idly by there and see some uncooked OS take the lead from it. I mean even if Microsoft wants to do that, people won't let go because of a thousands wise reasons ;) 

why try to fix something when it's not broken! Windows with all of its cool software and hardware compatibility is here and it's getting even better day by day. 

peace

okay

5 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

2% yay! no wait see the stats when Microsoft releases Redstone update. nobody today wants to spend so much time, again, to learn a different OS because it's free? at what cost? nah come on..Linux stats is never gonna get even near Windows' stats. not even after 100 years. why? cuz Microsoft not gonna sit idly by there and see some uncooked OS take the lead from it. I mean even if Microsoft wants to do that, people won't let go because of a thousands wise reasons ;) 

why try to fix something when it's not broken! Windows with all of its cool software and hardware compatibility is here and it's getting even better day by day. 

peace

then why cant they boost their mobile market it is practically DEAD and is completely dominated by Linux,,, OSx Andriod is a modified Unix which in return is called Linux but they are so clever they change like 15% of it and call it a different name tho it is linux.

No one comes to nsanedown to read the Linux news no ways .. I can go over to linux sites and stay and I would not even know windows existed besides the fact i have some pcs with it on it, life don't revolve around software code no ways.more people use smartphones than Windows and Android is Linux . Linux is not a Desktop O/S its a kernel .Microsoft counts phone installs on there numbers  .

Just now, D1v1n3D said:

okay

then why cant they boost their mobile market it is practically DEAD and is completely dominated by Linux,,, OSx Andriod is a modified Unix which in return is called Linux but they are so clever they change like 15% of it and call it a different name tho it is linux.

Yes, they try to boost it but the market is pre-dominated by Android. it's like Internet explorer vs Chrome. Internet explorer has been dominating browsers war for more than 20 years and even after all that time it's still got a huge market share, you know what i mean? it truly sucks but people don't let goooo

the same thing can be true about Microsoft's mobile market share. I'm not talking here without prior knowledge. I tried them, there is nothing wrong with Windows phone and i'm not the only person saying this. it's just people. they can't let go Android for the same reason they don't let go Internet explorer after more than 20 years :) 

I am in the computer industry and I have hundreds of clients not a single one of them use Explorer and haven't since windows 8 release roughly since Chrome and Firefox are a much better option over IE. and these are elderly people that installed firefox or chrome on their own some even found classic shell own their own to fix the start menu's even in latest windows 10.

if it aint broke dont fix it unless you want to make more money then brake it intentionally. 

2 minutes ago, D1v1n3D said:

I am in the computer industry and I have hundreds of clients not a single one of them use Explorer and haven't since windows 8 release roughly since Chrome and Firefox are a much better option over IE. and these are elderly people that installed firefox or chrome on their own some even found classic shell own their own to fix the start menu's even in latest windows 10.

if it aint broke dont fix it unless you want to make more money then brake it intentionally. 

about Internet explorer market share, i read it here.

32% of market share isn't something neglectable.

I didn't really get the last part. you're saying that Microsoft breaks Windows intentionally to make more money? how come?

IE was  a monopoly made up by Microsoft thats past news..  and many tired to sue hem for it , Just like the EU is trying sue Google for being a monopoly on Android . Windows is a monopoly too . As soon Google comes out with Android apps that can be used offline there going put a hurting on windows just like they done with browsers people are looking for something different most people use Android on there phone anyway its according to were you from . Alot people uses IOS too so its a lot less of monopoly than  Windows . It will be nice to see someone competing against Microsoft . Google and Apple both is worth more than Microsoft anyhow. :)

Microsoft Is the 2nd wealthiest company after Apple. Alphabet is third :)

Monopoly, oh really? when there were no other browsers people used Internet explorer like crazy and praised it like god cuz they needed it and now that other browsers came out Internet explorer is pants?

No matter how much money Microsoft makes in a year the fact still remains Microsoft lost money on Windows that's from there own reports , PCs have not sold good since 2013 , and didn't gain from it O/S since windows 7  Google Andorid and Apple IOS had gains . Linux is non profit so it don't even have a real market except for in the server world. I have Windows 10  did i buy Windows 10 no it was a giveaway  , I bought Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 but never bought Windows 10 and im one of  the few who bought Windows 8 . All my PCs but one can activate windows 10  so i got it free 3 times. :)

one of the few in your village who bought Windows 8 or whole world? though I'm sure they all hate Windows in there, thanks to a guy named steven.

Lol  the best Windows 8 ever done was back when it mange to pass XP  the 2nd or 3rd time XP kept taking the lead back  it was one year ago to  today  Jul 1, 2015 it had was 13.12%  right after that Windows 10 came out and they was on a downward trend.

JduJIjj.jpg

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-81-finally-dethrones-windows-xp-second-most-used-desktop-pc-os

How does Free Windows compete  against something most people never used?  it cant really, Windows 8 didn't have a chance against Windows 10 , but Windows 7 is a different story .

July 29th Windows 10 will have to put it's money were it's PR is it's as simple as that free vs paid is cheating in a race against itself because its a monopoly. :P

Because this is the truth in desktop its mostly only windows and there competing  against there self whats the fun in that?

245jtYt.png

What would be more interesting to know is how many Windows destop users are left  compared to 1 year ago and losing them to phone O/S they lose some to Mac OSX and Linux ever year so you know they most be losing a lot too phones. 

PC are far from dead yet but it's declining market people use to buy them every 4 years now they buy them about every 6 years. It's far more easy to take you're old phone in trade it in and lease to own a new one than to buy a new PC.

http://news.filehippo.com/2016/06/-pc-market-dead-says-intel-boss/

Windows 10 doesn't come as a free OS. only for those who already have Windows 7/8/8.1. those who have the cracked version or buying a new PC or never had a genuine version of Windows in their lives then they need to buy. also those who have the home version of the mentioned OSes but want to switch to Pro Windows 10 then they also need to buy ;) 

LOL  75% of everyone was on windows 7 or Windows 8x  when windows 10 came out . and just a small number of business have bought Windows 10 yet they had over 350 million installs so far and most all of it was free . Part of it is PCs in shops never been sold yet. They  count windows 10 pcs in stock as well Linux people and Apple people  never planed to buy Windows no how Linux people may buy a  windows PC and duel boot it or wipe windows from it and install Linux. Not many users have left XP  in a while  but it don't mean they will  go to Windows 10 ether  if they stayed on a OS over 2 years with no updates they may migrate to Windows 7  .

Mark my words,  If Windows 10 is no longer a free upgrade July 29th .  Windows 7 will do good for at lest a few more years and  it will become the next XP  and Microsoft will have failed . That's what the giveaway was about anyways   they wanted everyone to leave Windows 7 so it don't become a zombie O/S like XP .

I used every O/S since Windows ME  and the only ones that done really Good were XP and Windows 7 so far. Windows 98 done good but i had other things on my plate back then i was still sowing my wild oats. Windows 10 is yet too take the Marketshare  so it still has to prove it's worth.

July 1st 2015

JduJIjj.jpg

July 1st 2016

boFmQAc.png

Windows 8.1 has not lost much market share it never had any to began with it only lost  5% from 1 year ago lol.Windows 7 only lost 11% from a year ago even with all the nagging  and pushing  and it being free  to most. :P

• Administrator

Happy to see my sister's laptop is contributing to this numbers. Yes, I did promise her to install another OS, but no time for it. :P

As for you two, arguing over OS, really. We all know both the OSes are good. Both have got their positives and bad sides. Both have their own uses, both are perfectly capable in their own, including common usage. Arguing one over the other, instead of just keeping it each to it's own is silly. Even saying other person's choice is wrong is silly too.

Archived