For Your Eyes Only: Inventor Creates A ‘Ghost Phone’ That Can Only Be Seen Using Smart Glasses

vissha

For Your Eyes Only: Inventor Creates A ‘Ghost Phone’ That Can Only Be Seen Using Smart Glasses

• The phone has an altered screen combined with glasses
  • Phone display appears to be white to the naked eye with no content
  • It is unclear when the technology will be available or how much it will cost

When reading messages on your phone in public, you can never be too sure which prying eyes could be sneaking a look.

But there might be a new way to make sure that messages are for your eyes only.

A Turkish inventor has created a way to hide iPhone information using a special screen used with glasses.

358BEADE00000578-0-image-a-52_1466602413
In four months, he came up with the 'ghost phone', which he plans to name C.COGER I. The phone is modified using a chip which makes the screen appear white

The idea came to Celal Göger from Diyarbakir, Turkey, when he was travelling around on crowded public transport in Istanbul, and felt strangers' eyes peering over his shoulder at business messages on his phone.

Despite growing up in a small village without any electricity, Mr Göger has a technology studio where he invented this way of hiding his screen from others.

Mr Göger said:'I think I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

'If I had been born in the UK I think I would have gotten a lot more support to move this project forward and start mass production of my invention.' 

In four months, he came up with the 'ghost phone', which he plans to name 'C.COGER I.' 

358BEABF00000578-3654448-image-a-53_1466

Despite growing up in a small village without any electricity, Mr Göger has a technology studio where he invented this way of hiding his screen from others 

358BE7E800000578-3654448-image-m-4_14666358BE7E300000578-3654448-image-m-6_14666

Mr Göger said:  'If I can get funding I am planning to take this project further and install an on/off button on the phone which means that the user decides whether to activate the function'

The phone is modified using a chip which makes the screen appear white. A second chip in a pair of glasses then connects to the phone, making the screen visible to the wearer. 

No other details have been released about exactly how the device works, and Mr Göger has yet to respond to MailOnline for comment.

Mr Göger said: 'Someone's phone is a very personal item and I think it's extremely disrespectful when other people stare at it.

THE METALENS THAT COULD MAKE YOUR PHONE AS THIN AS A CREDIT CARD

Scientists at Harvard University have invented a flat lens that they say could revolutionize optics.

Composed of paint whitener on a sliver of glass, the device is just 2mm across and finer than human hair that can magnify nanoscale objects with a sharper focus than leading microscope lenses.

Researchers say metalenses can shrink down the bulky optical components and ultimately transform smartphone camera or contact lens into a compound microscope.

Unlike curved disks of glass in cameras and binoculars, this lens is made of a thin layer of transparent quartz coated in millions of tiny pillars – each just tens of nanometers across and hundreds high.

The pillars strongly interact with light individually, but slice through a light beam and remold it as the rays pass through the array when their efforts are combined, reports BBC.

Researchers used computer calculations to find the precise pattern which can easily replicate the focusing effect of a traditional lens.

'When I finished my invention I started telling people about it but nobody believed me.

'They thought it must be some kind of magic trick until they saw my invention which left them absolutely gobsmacked,

'If I can get funding I am planning to take this project further and install an on/off button on the phone which means that the user decides whether to activate the function.'

It is unclear when the ghost phone will be available, or how much it will cost.

358BEA3200000578-3654448-image-a-54_1466

To the naked eye, the phone screen appears to just be white. But when you look at the same screen with the modified glasses, the true display becomes visible

358BEAA000000578-3654448-image-a-55_1466

The phone is modified using a chip which makes the screen appear white. A second chip in a pair of glasses then connects to the phone, making the screen visible to the wearer

Source

• Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived