Win7 and 8.1 patch KB 3173040 throws full-screen Win10 upgrade warning

Karlston

Sorry to interrupt, but this is important ... or so says Microsoft

Microsoft just released yet another Win10 upgrade nag system, disguised as a "Recommended" patch for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 systems.

According to the KB 3173040 article, if you have Windows set to automatically install updates, and have the Windows Update "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" box checked, your machine will suddenly sprout a full-screen purple message that says:

Sorry to interrupt, but this is important.

Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29.

Microsoft recommends upgrading to Windows 10 -- the most secure Windows ever built. The upgrade is free and you can easily roll-back to your current operating system within 31 days if you decide Windows 10 is not right for you. We'll check for compatibility before starting the upgrade. Over 300 million people have upgraded. Upgrade your PC before the offer ends!

Windows 7 and 8.1 customers are offered four choices:

• Upgrade now
  • Remind me later
  • Notify me three more times
  • Do not notify me again

Notably, there is no "X" in the upper right corner. There's also no indication if any other combination of keys, clicks or swipes might simply tell the full-screen ad to buzz off.

For all two of you who didn't know that Microsoft wants you to upgrade to Windows 10, this should serve as a welcome reminder.

The KB article says the full-page ad won't appear if you have a "recent version" of the Get Windows 10 app installed, if your machine is known to be incompatible with Win10, or if you have previously rolled back from Win10 to your earlier operating system. Also, we're promised that those of you who have run GWX Control Panel, Never10, or manually set the appropriate registry keys won't see the ad.

The download weighs in at a hefty 5.5 MB.

No, I don't make this stuff up. You have to wonder how many TV weather announcers, how many broadcasting game players, and how many unattended kiosks will suddenly find themselves festooned in Microsoft upgrade purple. I predict a field day in the mainstream press by tomorrow.

There was a second patch released an hour ago, as well, KB 3163589. It's for Win7 customers who aren't using Win7 SP1, and for Win8 users who aren't running Win 8.1. There's no information about Windows 8.1 users who haven't installed the Win 8.1 Update 1.

Sorry to interrupt, but this is important.

Source: Win7 and 8.1 patch KB 3173040 throws full-screen Win10 upgrade warning

InfoWorld - Woody on Windows

AskWoody.com - Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows and Office

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another patch too not install on the windows 7  machines  around here lol  when  July 12 rolls around when i bother to do updates on them again the abuse people with auto updates on people have too  put up with on Windows 7 and 8.1 .  Thanks for the heads up as always ! ...There's never nothing exciting  on Windows updates no way but security fixes on patch Tuesday since windows 8.1 got service update 3 . Windows 10 is the only one that gets any real changes on Windows tell they decide to make something else. :)

Microsoft Installs New Update on Windows 7/8.1 to Nag About Windows 10 Upgrade

microsoft-installs-new-update-on-windows

Gigantic screen telling users the upgrade offer is ending

Microsoft has just released a new update to computers running Windows 7 and 8.1 whose role is to inform users that the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer is coming to an end.

Users on these systems who install Windows update KB3173040 are provided with a gigantic screen telling them, “Sorry to interrupt, but this is important. Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29.”

There are several options in this screen, including the typical upgrade now and remind me later buttons, as well as two different entries that let you configure the reminder to notify you three more times or never notify about this again in the future.

The official KB page indicates that the update was released on June 30 to computers running Windows 7 and 8.1 and is being listed as “recommended,” so it’s by default selected, downloaded, and installed on these systems.

Why you might not see the screen

Microsoft explains what the role of the notification is:

“This notification is a reminder that the Window 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29, 2016. Microsoft recommends that you upgrade to Windows 10 before the offer expires. You can choose to upgrade directly from the notification, dismiss the notification permanently, or choose to be reminded later. For more information about the Windows 10 upgrade and how to manage notifications, see the ‘More Information’ section.”

According to the KB page, the message should not appear if you blocked the Windows 10 upgrade by any means or in case you are already running the latest version of the Get Windows 10 app (this app will be removed on July 29, Microsoft promises, as the free upgrade offer ends on this date). Additionally, if you previously uninstalled Windows 10 after upgrading, you shouldn’t see this notification.

So if you don’t intend to upgrade to Windows 10 and just want to avoid being interrupted by this screen, add KB3173040 on the list of updates you need to block.

Source

That's actually a great thing! 

what's wrong with that? Microsoft don't want another old lady (like the previous story) charge them for another stupid reason, and this time, because Microsoft didn't inform her well before the free upgrade deadline and she can claim she didn't know there was a free upgrade ending in June 30. pffff...

TheMountain

You don't get it. 

Don't shove Windows 10 down my throat & I won't point out the Windows 10 flaws. 

A lot people believe after July 29th Microsoft is going focus on what they said before about making windows 10 a service . Were if you dont pay you will lose all you're data and there will be a revolt back too windows 7 . The reason they don't want to upgrade because there afraid they will be in debt  to M$  forever

https://techcrunch.com/2015/05/11/with-windows-10-the-os-becomes-a-service-instead-of-a-series-of-major-releases/

http://www.neowin.net/news/confirmed-windows-10-is-the-last-version-of-windows

On the other hand some even believe that there going do  something to Windows 7, too make it not as useful , if you don't pay a service fee  before long  . If this ever happens  Windows want be worth a hill of beans anymore and very glad im use to using Linux . A lot of rumors floating around . :)

Archived