vissha

5 Reasons to Install Linux on Your Laptop

qaremjehnggermfuzh1e.JPG

You can choose something other than MacOS or Windows 10 when it comes to an operating system for your computer. If you’re prepared to be a little more adventurous, Linux has plenty of great features that will save you time and make working a little less dull. The best part is that Live Installations allow you to try out the software before you wipe your entire hard drive.

Linux comes in various flavors called distros (distributions) and it’s up to you to determine which one you opt for. Ubuntu is by far the most popular desktop distro and is a good place to start for beginners, so we’ve focused on that one here, but once you’ve grasped the basics feel free to explore the pros and cons of some others out there.

1) You don’t have to ditch Windows (or OS X)

duov40fnkbg9al0hrdom.JPG

You don’t need to wave goodbye to Windows (or macOS) to give Linux a try—Ubuntu can run very happily on a dual-boot system or even straight from a USB drive. Follow the instructions provided on the Ubuntu website to get up and running: you need a blank DVD or a USB stick at least 2GB in size, and the setup process is very straightforward.

Of course the benefit of using a USB drive or DVD is that your existing OS remains untouched. On the other hand, performance and responsiveness won’t be quite as good, and you’re limited in terms of some system operations (to install apps and save files permanently, you need to create a USB stick with the persistence option enabled).

2) It’s simple to set up

q6jwznqcryoe3julrezs.JPG

In the past, installing software and popular codecs on Linux was a pain for the less tech-savvy, but that’s no longer the case. Ubuntu, for example, prompts you to download codecs for commonly used audio and video formats with a single check box, and on most modern systems can instantly identify available wifi networks and connect up to them.

While it’s true that seasoned Windows and Mac OS X users may find themselves occasionally perplexed by how to do something, that’s to be expected when switching between OSes of any flavor, and there’s always plenty of support available on the web. Most users are going to be up and running and happily enjoying Linux in a few minutes.

3) Everything you need is included

qtixsocfswn3ynog2iwu.JPG

Ubuntu comes complete with Firefox for your web browsing, Thunderbird for your emailing, and LibreOffice for making documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Other free and open source applications like GIMP (image editing), Evolution (the Linux version of Outlook), and Kodi (home theater and media management) are only a few clicks away.

Other well-known apps with Linux versions include Google Chrome, Plex, VLC Player, Slack, Dropbox, Skype, and Spotify. And don’t forget all those programs that run in a browser now, from the online versions of Microsoft Office to Google Play Music. If there’s a Windows program you really need to bring along with you, then give Wine a try.

4) It’s very secure

wxg0ucmmkl39rauqtupf.JPG

There’s a relatively small number of people using Linux as a desktop OS, which means a relatively small number of hackers looking to exploit it, but besides the raw numbers, Linux is an incredibly secure OS to run. It’s designed from the ground up to be secure, from the default privileges given to users to the way that Linux code is developed and maintained.

Linux can crash and be exposed like any other operating system out there, but the fact that few pieces of malware will run on the platform and any damage they do will be more limited means it’s a solid choice for the security-conscious. It’s also less likely to be weighed down by bloat and creeping system sluggishness than its more well-known rivals.

5) You’re supporting open source and free software

atnbz3cwz1azyoujgwpo.JPG

Linux is more than an operating system, it’s a philosophy. Not only is the software free (like Google Chrome, for example) but the source code is open and free (unlike Google Chrome, for example). You use the OS and the bundled software completely free of charge, but also view the code and make changes to it, should you be so inclined.

When you use Linux you’re supporting a global community of millions committed to making software free to install and use. That philosophy has helped drive innovation on the web and in Windows and OS X, as well as Linux itself, and if you want to dive further into software development, Linux is a great place to get started.

Source

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

every time I tried to install Linux on my notebook I could never print wirelessly and all the programs I needed to use for what I do were not compatible with Linux...sorry but if I cannot plug and play/use and use without hours of endless tweaking to make things work... why bother...i do not enjoy that type of challenge ..some do...more power to them but the beauty of windows and mac systems is they do not require too much user intervention  nor do I have to if  worry all my programs will run or not ...not a gamer  here  

1 minute ago, dMog said:

every time I tried to install Linux on my notebook I could never print wirelessly and all the programs I needed to use for what I do were not compatible with Linux...sorry but if I cannot plug and play/use and use without hours of endless tweaking to make things work... why bother...i do not enjoy that type of challenge ..some do...more power to them but the beauty of windows and mac systems is they do not require too much user intervention  nor do I have to if  worry all my programs will run or not ...not a gamer  here  

In WIndows, I'm sure you need user intervention on most cases after Windows 8 Release since most updates are botched updates and you need to check which one is safe to install. Also, if you use versions below 10, you need to be scared in addition about Patch Tuesday/upgrade block tools config and other issues. Also, you need to check and configure AV at most times to be safe. However, in Linux[trusted distros] you can be free from the hassle.

In Mac, you need to pay more to have it and use it. We have many things similar to Windows issues/bugs. Hence, not the better choice. If you use Mac, you need to accept whatever Apple thinks to do. There is no alternate vendors. However, in Linux, we can switch to any alternate vendor distros and you can do whatever customization required.

I do accept that Linux have vulnerabilities and bugs too. However, they can be resolved soon than the time MS & Apple patches their OSes.

@ vissha...i had one problem with video drivers moving from 8 to 10...i was still able to use my computer ...whereas every time I installed Linux I had so may issues it was  not worth my time or effort to fix it when I knew windows had no problems for me... Linux will always have loyal core of users but when I cannot run my core group of must has programs I will never a lineup or die user...but will  be a windows user   ( notice I did nit say windows or die)

18 minutes ago, dMog said:

@ vissha...i had one problem with video drivers moving from 8 to 10...i was still able to use my computer ...whereas every time I installed Linux I had so may issues it was  not worth my time or effort to fix it when I knew windows had no problems for me... Linux will always have loyal core of users but when I cannot run my core group of must has programs I will never a lineup or die user...but will  be a windows user   ( notice I did nit say windows or die)

Have you reported to ubuntu/canonical community and used their suggestions?
Do you think some of these morons of Windows app developers who support only Top OSes would be your destination? Please understand that Linux is Open Community and any developer can get help to fix issues for their program to be compatible. So, it is the $h*t developers of your app/program who are not interested to ask the community. Please do note that how Steam got better support to Linux is just by reporting bugs and got it fixed.

1 minute ago, vissha said:

Have you reported to ubuntu/canonical community and used their suggestions?
Do you think some of these morons of Windows app developers who support only Top OSes would be your destination? Please understand that Linux is Open Community and any developer can get help to fix issues for their program to be compatible. So, it is the $h*t developers of your app/program who are not interested to ask the community. Please do note that how Steam got better support to Linux is just by reporting bugs and got it fixed.

as i said    linux is just not for me...anyone who likes it i have no problems with...nor do think they are wrong  for doing so.... unlike linux people who call me down for expressing my preference for windows...its a big world out there ..there are several ways to do things right  for many things...computer use and preference is one of those areas

2 hours ago, dMog said:

as i said    linux is just not for me...anyone who likes it i have no problems with...nor do think they are wrong  for doing so.... unlike linux people who call me down for expressing my preference for windows...its a big world out there ..there are several ways to do things right  for many things...computer use and preference is one of those areas

I agree with what you have said, linux is not for the average person.  Though new versions will run flawlessly on the majority of computers there are those, just like windows, where the installation goes wrong and the person doesn't have the knowledge of how to go in an manually fix the problem or get the appropriate driver.  I learned linux over 16 years ago when I was forced to use Slackware, a command line version of linux without a gui.  Everything had to be setup individually by a command and it was through the help of other users that a person learned how to do it.  Even after a couple years there were still a learning curve.  Windows at the time was similar, in that a user really needed to know how to configure and load drivers in autoexec.bat, config.sys, and win.ini.  That is why only a few people built their own computers, installing windows was not a walk in the park like it basically is today.  My friends and I have installed linux on a thousand computers in the last month, in place of windows 10, and some had problems, but not anything that couldn't be fixed.  In the end it really boils down to how much you really want to run linux and the amount of time you are willing to invest in learning the OS.  I would suggest running it from a fast usb drive at first so you could play with it without changing your primary  system, then you could play with it as much or as little as you like and learning as you have time.  

3 hours ago, straycat19 said:

In the end it really boils down to how much you really want to run linux and the amount of time you are willing to invest in learning the OS.

For me it's the apps that I need. Industry standard requires Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk Autocad, if I can't use those apps then I can't do my work to earn money so I would end up being a vagrant if I had to use Linux. I'm not saying it isn't a good OS, just that it's not a choice for me based on the apps that I need to use. When it comes to server OS though, I would never choose Windows OS for my web server.

Archived