This Is What the New Windows 10 Upgrade Prompt Is Going to Look Like

Batu69

Microsoft tweaks Windows 10 upgrade prompt

this-is-what-the-new-windows-10-upgrade-

The new Windows 10 upgrade prompts

Microsoft has already announced that it’s preparing an update for Windows 7 and 8.1 systems in order to make the Windows 10 upgrade prompts a little bit friendlier, and now everyone’s waiting to see if any accidental installs of the new operating system still take place after this patch.

And as you can see in the screenshot attached to this article, the new Windows 10 upgrade prompt will indeed be more intuitive because users are provided with clear options to decide whether they want to install the new OS or not.

“Don’t miss out. Free upgrade offer ends July 29,” the prompt reads, and users are provided with options to upgrade now, choose a time to start the installer and “decline free offer.” This last option is completely new and is clearly the thing that everyone wanted since the very beginning because, until now, there has been no clear way to decline the upgrade.

But what’s important to know, however, is that even if you click the “decline free offer” button, the same upgrade prompt will show up in a few days once again, just in case you reconsider your decision and want to move to Windows 10.

Certainly, this is a step in the right direction, especially after so much criticism on forced upgrades. And yet, with just one month left until the offer expires, it all seems too little too late.

Article source

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

next..the people whining about the upgrade prompts in their various incarnations, for free will .once it is expired,be whining that they now have to pay ...and how ignorant and money grubbing microsoft is

3 minutes ago, dMog said:

the people whining about the upgrade prompts in their various incarnations,

You mean those sick of the nagging, bribing, trickery, and forcing? :P

4 minutes ago, dMog said:

for free will .once it is expired,be whining that they now have to pay

Doubt it. Those who have resisted the free "upgrade" for the last 11 months are even less likely to want it when Microsoft start charging for it.

6 minutes ago, dMog said:

nd how ignorant and money grubbing microsoft is

Perhaps those adjectives too, but they'll also remember how unethical and immoral Microsoft's unconscionable upgrade conduct has been.

4 minutes ago, Karlston said:

You mean those sick of the nagging, bribing, trickery, and forcing? :P

Doubt it. Those who have resisted the free "upgrade" for the last 11 months are even less likely to want it when Microsoft start charging for it.

Perhaps those adjectives too, but they'll also remember how unethical and immoral Microsoft's unconscionable upgrade conduct has been.

only a tad bit of overreaction  on your part

Some more from Mary Jo Foley on ZDNet...

Microsoft to make saying no to Windows 10 update easier

Microsoft is changing the wording of its 'Get Windows 10' update prompt to make cancelling the free update easier and clearer.

Microsoft plans to change the Windows 10 update prompt to make it clearer and easier for Windows 7 and 8.x customers to schedule or decline the offer.

newgetwindows10prompt.jpg

The new 'Get Windows 10' update prompt, coming later this week

Microsoft officials said late on June 27 that the new update experience -- with clearer "upgrade now, schedule a time, or decline the free offer" -- will start rolling out this week. Microsoft will also revert to making clicking on the Red X at the corner of the Windows 10 update box dismiss the update, rather than initiate it, as it has done for the past several weeks.

Microsoft officials said they are making the change "in response to customer feedback".

Update: Here's the full, updated statement from Microsoft about the coming change, attributable to Executive Vice President of Windows and Devices Terry Myerson:

"We started our journey with Windows 10 with a clear goal to move people from needing Windows to choosing Windows to loving Windows. Towards this goal, this week we'll launch a new upgrade experience for millions of PCs around the world. The new experience has clearer options to upgrade now, choose a time, or decline the free offer. If the red-x is selected on this new dialog, it will dismiss the dialog box and we will notify the device again in a few days. We continue to recommend all of our customers upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade offer expires on July 29. Thousands of engineers have been working on making Windows 10 the most secure version of Windows, helping to protect people from viruses, phishing, identity theft and more. We'd like our customers to upgrade and improve their experience with Windows and Microsoft."

Take note: Clicking the Red X will dismiss the box. It won't automatically commence the Windows 10 update (contrary to what's been happening for the past few weeks, when clicking the X started the update). But the dialog box isn't gone permanently; it will come back some number of unspecified times to nag users about moving to Windows 10.

Still not ideal, but better.

Microsoft will also provide free tech support to those having problems with their Windows 10 update, according to a Microsoft senior director for Windows, including support in rolling back from Windows 10 to their previous version of Windows.

Microsoft has been criticized by many, including me, for making onerous the process of postponing and/or declining the free update to Windows 10.

It's great that Microsoft has made Windows 10 a free update for many Windows 7 and 8.X users since last July, but it's been anything but great that the company has made opting out of the update so difficult. It should be up to users -- not Microsoft -- if and when they take advantage of the free update. Microsoft should have made opting out a clear and easy choice from the get-go, but better late than never, I guess...

The offer to move to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 and 8.X will end July 29, a month from now. Microsoft officials said they'll start phasing out the "Get Windows 10" update prompt starting July 29.

The news of the change in the Windows 10 update prompt wording comes days after Microsoft paid a disgruntled Windows 10 updater $10,000 rather than appeal the case in court.

Source: Microsoft to make saying no to Windows 10 update easier

41 minutes ago, dMog said:

next..the people whining about the upgrade prompts in their various incarnations, for free will .once it is expired,be whining that they now have to pay ...and how ignorant and money grubbing microsoft is

I sort of doubt they will complain , other than they give windows 7 away free to users who bought  new Vista machines  too get them out of stock because didn’t sell good they never had to give windows away for the last 40 years people didn’t mind buying it based on it was a good product . windows comes on a pc when you buy one and you’re charged for it too,  My mom wants to keep windows 7 tell 2020 and she could buy a pc with windows 10 but dont want it .

They went about that Windows 7  give away the  right way , They should of left it that way and no one would of cared  and they would never  been whining . I been buying PCs with Windows on them since 2001 when needed.

if  they like win7 they just need to install start 8 or similar to get that windows 7 feel in 10

12 minutes ago, dMog said:

if  they like win7 they just need to install start 8 or similar to get that windows 7 feel in 10

I doubt  it would even handle windows 10 very well or has the right drivers  my mom's pc is small and came with Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7 already.

Did anyone complain  when windows 7 came out were ether you had to buy a new pc  or had to buy a key? No they didn’t  they just used what they had tell they bought a new pc or had the money too get a key or they just pirated it  . I had someone give me a legit key for windows 7 and also got it free for buying a Vista. PC after 7 was out

20 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I doubt  it would even handle windows 10 very well or has the right drivers  my mom's pc is small and came with Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7 already.

Did anyone complain  when windows 7 came out were ether you had to buy a new pc  or had to buy a key? No they didn’t  they just used what they had tell they bought a new pc or had the money too get a key or they just pirated it  . I had someone give me a legit key for windows 7 and also got it free for buying a Vista. PC after 7 was out

win 7 and before were so easy to pirate... 

13 minutes ago, dMog said:

win 7 and before were so easy to pirate... 

Windows 7 was when it became hard to pirate  bro , before that  it was easy to crack  , Windows 7-10 has never really been cracked  like before. When Windows 7 1st came out they used trial reset  and watermark removers  then they went to loaders and then to KMS and VL  keys , Windows never fully been cracked since Vista . :)

6 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Windows 7 was when it became hard to pirate  bro , before that  it was easy to crack  , Windows 7-10 has never really been cracked  like before. When Windows 7 1st came out the used trial reset  and watermark removers  then they went to loaders and then to KMS and VL  keys , Windows never fully been cracked since Vista . :)

i had win 7 on three computers and put it on other computers for several other people   pirated ... it was easy  but because some smart hacker made it so...in fact pretty much a run a program and you were set to go

36 minutes ago, dMog said:

i had win 7 on three computers and put it on other computers for several other people   pirated ... it was easy  but because some smart hacker made it so...in fact pretty much a run a program and you were set to go

they had all kinds of pirated  DVDS  For Windows 7, in China they use what they called Ghost DVDs  and Karlston posted a post about it not long ago Microsoft  were deactivating them though windows updates.  I got a copy of XP  SP3 right now I sometimes put in VM  it don’t need a key even lol.  Being able to bypass activation tell they nuke you and really cracking something were it cant be nuked  is two different things . :)

Windows XP and Vista  and old versions of Office was really cracked  it  never would become deactivated  You just needed a WGA  crack as well to update , If they updated WGA  they just update the crack. :)

50 minutes ago, steven36 said:

When Windows 7 1st came out they used trial reset  and watermark removers  then they went to loaders and then to KMS and VL  keys

Sorry, it may be what you mean by VL keys, but there was also SLIC activation where a genuine BIOS was modded to add a SLIC to make the PC appear to the OS as one mass produced by Lenovo or Dell or Asus etc. Win7 was then activated using the particular company's single activation key.  Bullet proof in that Microsoft couldn't blacklist the key or potentially millions of genuine PC's Win7 would also be deactivated.

It will be interesting to see if and how Microsoft cracks down on illegal Windows 10 installs after July 29.

18 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Sorry, it may be what you mean by VL keys, but there was also SLIC activation where a genuine BIOS was modded to add a SLIC to make the PC appear to the OS as one mass produced by Lenovo or Dell or Asus etc. Win7 was then activated using the particular company's single activation key.  Bullet proof in that Microsoft couldn't blacklist the key or potentially millions of genuine PC's Win7 would also be deactivated.

It will be interesting to see if and how Microsoft cracks down on illegal Windows 10 installs after July 29.

In 2010  Microsoft put Watt in Windows 7 the WATT update sniffs out more than 70 "activation exploits, Then came Watt loader . VL key is a Volume license key  it will activate many pcs   with one key they have them for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 you can activate  with them then upgrade to Windows 10 and maintain permanent  Activation . July 29th Windows 10 will be down to just KMS  and i would be shocked if  Microsoft don’t do something again lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2520861/microsoft-windows/microsoft-to-crack-down-on-windows-7-activation-cracks.html

Instead of them trying to upgrade everyone too windows 10 they may  do a 360 from the past and deactivate  pirates again. :)

24 minutes ago, steven36 said:

July 29th Windows 10 will be down to just KMS  and i would be shocked if  Microsoft don’t do something again

Do you know for sure that KMS will be used for Win10 activation? Not doubting you :) I just haven't seen anything on post-July 29 activation.

9 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Do you know for sure that KMS will be used for Win10 activation? Not doubting you :) I just haven't seen anything on post-July 29 activation.

I don’t pirate windows  you can ask those that do  they told it works OK before . The best way is to use a  VL Mak Key instead  and upgrade then you don’t  need  KMS they have  KMS for Windows 10 in software updates here even .

MAK allows you to activate multiple machines over the Internet with that one key, the total is dependant on the licensing program with which you acquired the product key.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a74c0e24-d97b-41ce-897c-18afa2284b6f/kms-vs-mac-activation?forum=winservergen

Some more from Woody Leonhard, scary changes...

New Get Windows 10 nagware screen arrives -- no need to install anything

Microsoft has switched to its new upgrade nag screen without running an update

Microsoft has altered its Get Windows 10 nagware screen -- as promised -- and instituted the change without installing any new software on Win7 and 8.1 machines.

As of an hour ago, the Get Windows 10 nag messages, which have come under fire of late for their cavalier neglect of the "X" button, changed.

Now, on my test machines, the Get Windows 10 nag looks like the one in the screenshot.

dont miss out

If you click on the Decline free offer link, you get this screen:

cancel

So we now know how to turn off the nags. It only took Microsoft eight months to give us the switch Windows honcho Terry Myerson promised us back in October: "You can specify that you no longer want to receive notifications of the Windows 10 upgrade through the Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 settings pages."

Even more remarkable, to me, is the technology. I speculated earlier this week that Microsoft might be downloading the contents of the GWX nag screen every time the screen appeared -- a technique that one reader on AskWoody.com likened to polymorphic virus propagation.

That's exactly what happened. Microsoft created an all-new dialog and slapped it on Win7 and 8.1 screens without changing any software. The entire dialog, and all of the actions implemented by the dialog, came through a download that occurred when the dialog was opened.

Breathtaking.

Source: New Get Windows 10 nagware screen arrives -- no need to install anything (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

Archived