Windows 10 is now installed on over 350 million devices

tomm

windows-10-hero-01a_story.jpg

In late March, at its Build 2016 developer conference, Microsoft revealed that Windows 10 had made its way to 270 million devices. Five weeks later, in early May, it said that that figure had climbed to 300 million.

Today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 is now installed on over 350 million devices around the world. That latest figure came as the company confirmed that its Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be released on August 2 - although it had already spoiled the surprise yesterday with the premature publication of a news release that revealed the date.

Microsoft is now over a third of the way towards its goal of a billion Windows 10 devices within 2-3 years, although its seemingly monomaniacal fixation on that target has resulted in growing criticism over how it's pushed the upgrade to PC users. Its increasingly aggressive efforts to get users to install the OS have angered and frustrated many, but earlier this week, it finally softened its approach bymaking it far easier to opt out of the upgrade for those wishing to do so.

Curiously, even as it's pushed so hard to get PC users to upgrade, Microsoft has shown little enthusiasm for encouraging Windows Phone users to install Windows 10 Mobile. Rather than prompting users with a notification that their devices are eligible to upgrade, Microsoft instead requires them to opt in by first downloading an app that checks for the update - but that of course requires the user to be aware of the upgrade for their handset in the first place.

One month from today - on the actual anniversary of Windows 10's release, July 29 - the company will end its free upgrade offer for Windows 7 and 8.1 users. After that date, anyone wishing to upgrade to Windows 10 will have to purchase a full license for the OS, priced from $119 - but there is a way to secure a free upgrade even after that date.

The Source

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many were voluntarily and how many were against the will of the device owner.

One wonders how many Windows 7 and 8.1 users there still are? Probably 3 times that number. to calculate that, just look at the relative market shares between Windows 10 and the combined Windows 7 and 8.1.

How many of those "350 million installs" are actively used? That deceptive statistic would include all devices still in their boxes sitting unsold in manufacturers' and retailers stock rooms.

(For the record, my newly built PC has Windows 10 on it and will go live as soon as I can find a GTX 1070 card for it, and one without an extortionate price).

36 minutes ago, Karlston said:

One wonders how many Windows 7 and 8.1 users there still are?

Netmarketshare  results  will be out  Friday . Statcounter  reported in may 18.16 %  now its 19.93 % at the end of June For windows 10 .  . Microsoft claims it's 30 % of desktop market is on windows 10 but they don’t count people who roll back . you have to kind of look all the statics on all sites because no one really knows i don’t think  :) 

Windows 7 has  39.34% at Statcounter in May Now its at  38.17 % it lost  a little over 1% 

Mac OSX has more users than win 8.1 now its lost like almost  1% too.

5lddUzP.png

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201605-201606

Just now, Karlston said:

One wonders how many Windows 7 and 8.1 users there still are? .....

dSzCHzW.png

3 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

dSzCHzW.png

that was last month  Netmarketshare  don’t report for June tell Friday . They do it by the month only. That will change in 2 days.

Just now, steven36 said:

that was last month  Netmarketshare  don’t report for June tell Friday . They do it by the month only. That will change in 2 days.

i doubt there will be any noticeable difference! ;)

5 hours ago, flash48 said:

I wonder how many were voluntarily and how many were against the will of the device owner.

any install can be rolled back... 

2 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

i doubt there will be any noticeable difference! ;)

If you join there site  you will be able to see from June/5 to tell June/ 28th right now . If you don’t belong you stay a month behind .

i see xp out guns mac os... windows owns the lion share...quite a certainty that android outguns  apple mobile os and that windows 10 mobile is almost non-existent for use

Just now, steven36 said:

.....If you don’t belong you stay a month behind .

i really don't get what you mean!

i still have Windows XP on an old machine + Windows 7/8.1 on 2 other recent ones

i think i'm "stay behind" way more than 1 month!:P

Just now, dMog said:

i see xp out guns mac os... windows owns the lion share...quite a certainty that android outguns  apple mobile os and that windows 10 mobile is almost non-existent for use

that's according to were you look at . The news can be twisted too make it look to the way you want I most the time wait tell  the 1st of the month  for them to average it out by all 3 sites. 

2 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

i really don't get what you mean!

If you are a member at Netmarket share  you can get bi weekly reports ,  if not a member you only get monthly reports .

al i know is of all friends and family and co-workers one .... one single person is mac...eveyone else is on win 10...phones...breaks down to 6 or 7 to 1 in favor of android...no-one i know has  windows phone

19 minutes ago, dMog said:

al i know is of all friends and family and co-workers one .... one single person is mac...eveyone else is on win 10...phones...breaks down to 6 or 7 to 1 in favor of android

Me too I just know one person with a Mac but I don’t know no one in real life on XP  .  Only on here I read some who are on it .  Look at the USA only report on XP at statcounter  its so low it dont even be posted anymore.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-US-monthly-201605-201606

If you remove tablets and consoles  it will bring XP back  and it's at 2.76%  and that’s  not counting 2/1 tablets .

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-US-monthly-201605-201606

XP is rarely used in the USA at all.

13 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

isn't the 350 millions includes other devices like tablets too?!

yes it do but that's Microsoft PR not actual  statics . I have 3 pcs  that i have internet too .. Only 1 has windows 10 on it.  the other 2 are counted as Windows 10 because they once had windows 10 on them .  I got my Free upgrade rights on the 3 out  of 4 PCs I have the ones that will work with it.. but I don’t need 3 windows 10 machines. One is enough .  If everyone does as me Windows 10 gets 2 rollbacks  to every copy 3 copies installed , I read it in the local news all the time were many rollback . :P

There are also users who have just "reserved" Windows 10

Meaning they installed it, got permanent activation and removed it!

They can do clean install whenever they want (on the same machine)

They are counted too!

The sum of all this makes me very doubtful about the 350 millions in bold letters!

There's is  only devices with 350 million installs period  that ever had  windows 10 on them ever and there is 1.5 billion users on a flavour of windows  , They don’t count roll backs at all also they count PCs shipped  with Windows 10 to shops that never been sold yet no one even uses them yet because they have Windows 10 on them  . They pulled the same crap trying sell Windows 8.1 It's PR and Windows 8.1 never sold good. We want  have a Idea of how good Windows 10 is doing tell  people  are forced too buy  it . Linux only have like 1.5% market share  . All the other O/S costed  money  so it is a free O/S against  non free ones .   Comparing Free to paid is like comparing apples to oranges . With it being free it should have more than 350 million installs .  The markeshare sites tell how many are using it online today .last month ,  this year and many years before.

Airstream_Bill
7 hours ago, visualbuffs said:

one of them!

Me two.

28 minutes ago, Airstream_Bill said:

Me two.

I have you beat they count me as 3 of them but i only use it on one of them , because my Windows 7 machine has uncompatible  software on it and  i use it for stuff , so it was rolled back and my other one has Linux on it right now.. So  in reality I'm only one of them but they count me as 3 . But i can install windows 10 on any of them and it will activate not a bad deal to just be a unrealistic  number . If  Windows 10 auto upgraded  500 pcs  at a  big place that can only use Windows 7 they would roll them back and still be counted .

As many people that fussing about windows 10 and wanting to mass  sue them in reality there not is very many people who wanted it at all. Some took it just because they got tired of being bugged about it  by Microsoft  and some didn’t know what they were doing and ended up with it. Most everyone is upset at Microsoft from what i seen in comments  of different sites. Windows 10 is not that bad even  and giving it away was a good idea.  but the way they done the give away was wrong  and uncalled for and it may take years if ever that  everyone fully trust them again.

visualbuffs
On 6/30/2016 at 7:27 AM, steven36 said:

I have you beat they count me as 3 of them but i only use it on one of them , because my Windows 7 machine has uncompatible  software on it and  i use it for stuff , so it was rolled back and my other one has Linux on it right now.. So  in reality I'm only one of them but they count me as 3 . But i can install windows 10 on any of them and it will activate not a bad deal to just be a unrealistic  number . If  Windows 10 auto upgraded  500 pcs  at a  big place that can only use Windows 7 they would roll them back and still be counted .

As many people that fussing about windows 10 and wanting to mass  sue them in reality there not is very many people who wanted it at all. Some took it just because they got tired of being bugged about it  by Microsoft  and some didn’t know what they were doing and ended up with it. Most everyone is upset at Microsoft from what i seen in comments  of different sites. Windows 10 is not that bad even  and giving it away was a good idea.  but the way they done the give away was wrong  and uncalled for and it may take years if ever that  everyone fully trust them again.

linux uses opengl which makes the game slower than directx

Windows 10 is now installed on over 350 million devices

1. It is ridiculously low number;
  2. This number is exactly so high, as Microsoft says, anyone else do not care about this number, no matter, what it is.

This is statistic, what Microsoft wants, this it says.
And usually the statistics means two things - either it is a vile lie or it is a white lie.

8 hours ago, visualbuffs said:

linux uses opengl which makes the game slower than directx

Who said anything about games ? There's  millions of us who use a console too game and dont need a PC too game, in my  15 years on the internet i never bought a PC to game on .

Most people on windows 10 need a hardware upgrade to to get DX12 anywho , If you're willing to pay for newer hardware all this is changing in Linux too.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Radeon-RX-480-Drivers

Even on my old AMD  hardware  using Manjaro Linux Cinnamon edition  based on Arch with MESA  i get better CPU utilization  watching H265  Hevc videos than I can on windows with DX 11.   Now on distros like Ubuntu or based on Ubuntu  it's not so good unless willing to fork out money for a hardware upgrade. I cant even get Ubuntu 16.04 to run at all  those open source drivers for old hardware AMD  want even kick in my 1080p Acer monitor   :P

Most  windows users who play the game card as a reason to use windows still ,  mostly  pirate games. Linux users that can afford  new hardware are buying games from steam and testing out games with the new AMD beta drivers . Sometime  in the future  gaming want even be a good excuse.  :)

Archived