Windows 10 Anniversary update available August 2nd, says Microsoft press release headline

Petrovic

In a headline, with no body text, over at the Microsoft News Center, a press release is announcing that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be available on August 2nd. We’ve been expecting the update in late July, but this date is close. (updated to remove hasty calendar mangling)

Obviously someone hit publish before they were supposed to, as there’s nothing to the press release but the headline, and there’s no telling if the August 2nd date is final, but it is an official Microsoft “document,” so there’s that:

Anniversary-Update-707x630.png

Article source

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe next year, their new Windows 10 big update will be named: Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Part 2:lol:  I vote for Microsoft let the users name for the new Windows 10 big update

very disappointing that those who are still negating to upgrade to 10 for free is now probably going to just stay with their older OS way to go M$ should have released it 2 weeks before july 29 but you guys just want money now since you lost so much over windows 8 and 10 and have hardly gained ground in PC market as OSx and Linux are climbing real smart move lol. Linux is getting major momentum like Snappy and wine's new update process and Vulkan along with steam pushing it and the more M$ keeps screwing the public like this the more I will push my clients to Linux alternatives even if I have to teach them the basics on how to use it I am over M$ all the slow downs and hangups and app crashes random computer restarts and red screen of death have at the minimum doubled in the last month alone, from my computers to my clients.

2 hours ago, D1v1n3D said:

you guys just want money now since you lost so much over windows 8 and 10 and have hardly gained ground in PC market as OSx and Linux are climbing real smart move lol. Linux is getting major momentum like Snappy and wine's new update process and Vulkan along with steam pushing it and the more M$ keeps screwing the public like this the more I will push my clients to Linux alternatives even if I have to teach them the basics on how to use it I am over M$ all the slow downs and hangups and app crashes random computer restarts and red screen of death have at the minimum doubled in the last month alone, from my computers to my clients.

People have been saying it's going to be the year of Linux  for 24 years the only year of Linux that's going happen has happened already  Android phones If they ever becomes a year of Linux on Desktop it will be a Android O/S using the Linux kernel  .  As far as Apple Android O/S  is used more than there stuff too . I use open source Linux  but I'm a realest and know if you believe open source will  ever be used by many people you live in a fantasy world . There's no money to be made because its free . XP  that's not had a a update in 2 years have 10 times as many users than Open source Linux .

One thing about Windows 10 it works on more old hardware than new Ubuntu releases I cant  even get  nothing based 16.04  to work on my Gateway AMD that came with Windows 8 there's no working drivers for it and the open source ones wont even boot into the kernel  the new xorg-server breaks it.

Manjaro based om Arch works because there holding back

xf86-input-evdev
xf86-input-keybvoard
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-input-vmmouse
xf86-video-ati
xorg-server

Arch will work if you hold back from ever updating and install  old xorg-server

xf86-input-evdev
xf86-input-keybvoard
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-input-vmmouse
xf86-video-ati
xorg-server

But none of those distros for beginners  is working right on all hardware  any more unless you use a old release  and people on newer hardware old releases don't work right , people can just stay on Windows 7 or 8.1 if they want a old release . Linux has more issues than Windows right now but since it's such a small user base that tires to spew PR about how good it is, the other side of the story is not told much. I don't recommend it if you're not a computer geek  and are happy with windows  :(

Windows 10 has working drivers for my card on Windows updates  Who cares if we have to wait another week to upgrade to Redstone  people have been waiting every since TH2 came out. My new PC with windows 10 i don't want to mess up maybe it works because not AMD .. But  because its warranty is only under Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 and  that's another reason  Linux want ever do good there's not many pcs that comes with it and it will break  you're warranty  :P

Guess it'll need to be 10586 first before the free update runs out, was kinda hoping to upgrade straight to the anniversary.

As for august second I have to call my psychiatrist on august second to schedule a appointmet.  I have a feeling microsoft is going to use august second as there release date.

On 6/28/2016 at 9:35 PM, Holmes said:

As for august second I have to call my psychiatrist on august second to schedule a appointmet.  I have a feeling microsoft is going to use august second as there release date.

LoL!!

August is too long for release date :( 

19 hours ago, eurobyn said:

there are the Linux lovers again. lol

and again.

I don’t love  no software  because you cant touch or fell it so it has no real value to me  I must admit  l like  Linux more than any flavour of windows  . witch after 2023 they claim there's only going be one flavour of  windows that’s going get really boring . If you  like to learn and don’t game on PC  there's really no need for Windows  Manjaro Linux Cinnamon witch is based on Arch  is bleeding edge it plays videos  better than windows even  I don’t have to hunt all over the place for software updates  everything i want is in Pacmac.  But I'm a computer geek

The  reason i have windows 10 is more of because it was free and it was there and I tested it before  I may as well use the newest they got when I go on it, I like too learn new OS , but as  far as using windows all the time I don’t . I hardly turn my newest PC on just  to do windows updates and hunt for software updates . I get on it around patch Tuesday every month for a for a  week or two  and then the rest of the month  I stay on Linux . I  been on Windows since 2001 and its the same old bullshit  if you don’t have a money tree , you have too pirate  programs to get  some of the better ones.  If it were not for piracy  most people would left windows long ago because most every program on Linux is free  .

One thing I can say good about Windows 10 is it's Activation is better than windows 8.1 OEM , When my HHD went out on my Gateway i had no back up disk for windows 8.1 OEM and Windows 10 activates on it without a key even Windows 8.1 want do this also Microsoft  has working AMD drivers from windows updates for my graphics . But I don’t even have Windows installed on that one atm  but its good i can just put windows 10 on it if i want . :P

Woody Leonhard's take on this...

It's official: Microsoft sets Aug. 2 rollout for Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, build 1607

Free upgrades for Windows 7/8.1 users will end on July 29

Microsoft Corporate Vice President Yusuf Mehdi just published a lengthy blog stating that the Windows10 Anniversary Update -- the version that will supplant the current build 1511 -- will start rolling out on Aug. 2. While the announcement shouldn't shock anyone who's been following InfoWorld's Windows10 beta coverage, the timing is a bit surprising.

According to Mehdi:

With over 350 million devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of Windows and customer engagement is also incredible with more than 135 billion hours of use on Windows 10 since launch.

Microsoft has traditionally reported Win10 usage in terms of "millions of active devices per month." It isn't clear if the same metric is being used here. Two months ago, Mehdi reported that Win10 was on 300 million active devices. We likely have Microsoft's super-aggressive push to upgrade Win7 and 8.1 users to thank for the increase.

Mehdi makes it clear that Microsoft's free upgrade offer won't extend beyond July 29:

Our free Windows 10 upgrade offer is available until July 29, and we're also excited to share a few additional special offers. Students can save $300 when they purchase an Xbox One and Surface at Microsoft Stores, or get a free TV when they purchase a Dell PC over $699*. Plus, consumers can get $150 off select HP devices or $100 off select ASUS and Samsung devices…

Upgrade today before the free offer ends July 29 or take advantage of one of the amazing new deals on a new Surface or PC so you're all set to enjoy it this summer!

He goes on to detail six "areas of innovation" for Win10: Security, Windows Ink (for pen-enabled PCs), Cortana (which no longer has a global off switch), Edge (which still doesn't have a functional multi-page back button), Gaming, and New Innovations for the Modern Classroom.

We'll keep you posted as the final betas roll out.

Source: It's official: Microsoft sets Aug. 2 rollout for Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, build 1607

InfoWorld - Woody on Windows

AskWoody.com - Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows and Office

Archived