Microsoft Will Make It Easier to Refuse Windows 10 Upgrade

tomm

The free upgrade to Windows 10 promo is coming to an end next month, and Microsoft has finally decided to tweak the way Windows 7 and 8.1 users are being offered the new operating system in order to make the push less confusing.

get_windows_10_free_upgrade_icon_1005882

An update for Windows 7 and 8.1 computers will be released later this week in order to modify the behavior of the “X” close button in the Windows 10 upgrade prompt.

At this point, clicking the X button when the upgrade to Windows 10 has already been scheduled doesn’t make any difference, while after the new update, doing it will mean that users do not confirm that they agree with the upgrade.

Lisa Gurry, Microsoft’s senior director for Windows, has stated that Microsoft wants to make the upgrade process as smooth as possible, and the update will be released later this week for all systems.

“We’re working really hard to address it,” she is quoted as saying. “We’re working hard to deliver a Windows that everyone will really love.”

Forced upgrades no more

Microsoft has been often accused of being too pushy with its Windows 10 upgrade offer, and many customers complained that their PCs ended up running the new operating system without them even choosing to install it.

More recently, the company agreed to pay $10,000 in damages to a woman who sued Microsoft after her business computer got upgraded to Windows 10 and started experiencing performance issues, a thing that affected her work.

While there’s no evidence that Microsoft decision to deliver a patch that would make refusing Windows 10 upgrades much easier is in any way related to this lawsuit, there’s no doubt that it could help address similar cases in the future. There are many users out there very frustrated with Microsoft’s aggressive Windows 10 push, so more lawsuits could follow quickly, given the fact that the company agreed to pay damages in this one.

The Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems MS has revised their upgrade prompt. Very clearly in the window, "Decline free offer"

Opt_In_V3_300_Million_0.png

(Credit: The Verge)

11 months too late.  Microsoft has already established a precedent by paying one user $10,000.  I know over a 1000 users who were in the same boat so I am trying to convince them to hire an attorney for a class action lawsuit and suing for $100,000 each.  If it gets class action status everyone who claims it installed and they didn't want it would become part of the suit automatically.  Microsoft (thru its lawyers) would be required to have letters sent to every person who has Windows 10 installed to see if they are eligible to be part of the suit.  And the fun would just be starting.

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

11 months too late.  Microsoft has already established a precedent by paying one user $10,000.  I know over a 1000 users who were in the same boat so I am trying to convince them to hire an attorney for a class action lawsuit and suing for $100,000 each.  If it gets class action status everyone who claims it installed and they didn't want it would become part of the suit automatically.  Microsoft (thru its lawyers) would be required to have letters sent to every person who has Windows 10 installed to see if they are eligible to be part of the suit.  And the fun would just be starting.

Seems you're talking about yesterdays news were that woman got lucky  and won that case because Microsoft sent a store salesman instead  of a lawyer to small claims court.  If they would  of sent a real lawyer i doubt  she would had won   While  i don't agree with Microsoft tactics trying to force it on people . In about a month  you haters want have nothing else  to talk about you can stay on windows 7 the rest of you're life if you like .  The way I look there's a big  yes or no on the upgrade so  they fixed it  .  Any proof you told anyone anything ? This the internet were people can say they done something and didn't. Almost every  news site on the web in the comments   there some saying they wish a lot  of people would sue M$  .  Sue them yourself if you don't like it don't expect others to do it for you . Most say this but are not going do it there self :P

And I'm not calling everyone that don't want windows 10  haters  there is some who are  holding off tell buy a new PC with Windows 10 or cant afford a new PC. that runs good with it  I got my free copies each of my PCs can be or is  upgraded to it . But you openly admit you hate it.  so you are a Windows 10 hater .

only in fear of losing more money or starting a world wide class action suit against them that very well could bankrupt M$ in Europe and other countries that aren't USA of course US government would bail them out before their own citizens in a heart beat.

Typical Microsoft-speak... "less confusing" = change the "X = upgrade" trickery/sneakiness and make it work the way they tell developers it should and the way users expect it to (no action).

Methinks Microsoft smell lots of users contemplating repeating the $10K lawsuit action. Just coincidence? Nope... like any big company, nothing worries them as much as the threat of legal action, especially one which now has a precedent against them.

13 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Typical Microsoft-speak... "less confusing" = change the "X = upgrade" trickery/sneakiness and make it work the way they tell developers it should and the way users expect it to (no action).

Methinks Microsoft smell lots of users contemplating repeating the $10K lawsuit action. Just coincidence? Nope... like any big company, nothing worries them as much as the threat of legal action, especially one which now has a precedent.

The only thing that scares Cooperate America  is  losing money  . The reason Google ,Microsoft ,Apple  and Facebook are up in court  to stop law enforcement from getting a hold  of the data they harvest from you is because Snowden made it a public fact and they fear they will  lose money,  before Snowden they just let law enforcement  do as they wanted . There all proprietary software and if they want to hire real lawyers to fight you most likely will lose . Even the FBI was smart enough to know they would lose when they took apple to court  so they payed over a million dollars to get someone else to unlock the smart phone.

TheMountain

diane-arbus-quote-it-gets-to-seem-as-if-

Do you bow down & accept Micro:shit:'s generous Windows 10 offer filled with what ifs?

Or do you stand up to Micro:shit: & say not today, or ever again?

No one forces you to use Microsoft  products there's  Mac OSX  , Linux  and there's smart phones but you made you re own bed when you chose it now lay in it. If it was not for Microsoft Windows,  Nsane Down  and many other sites would  had never existed  ..  We would not even be having this discussion right now  That's reality  Most people who use Linux  or MAC OSX   could care less about  what M$ does. It's the same  Argument   XPs users used not to upgrade to Windows Vista and Windows 7  only thing different it was free and they tried push it on you . If they would had called  Windows 10 , Windows 8.2 instead no one would had never said nothing, they could have pushed off on people as a service release . :P

12 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Oh f!ck, the party pooper's back. :spank:

Sorry to ruin you're patty  bro , but  spamming  up a board spreading you're grief because you chose too use to  someones O/S software  that this site would had never existed if they didn't make it ,dont sound like much of a party to me,  its kind of sad that you let it get in you're head and bother you even.

Woody Leonhard's take on this, including a history of Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrade "confusion" (AKA unethical sneakery & tricking) of users  ...

If a report in The Mercury News is right, Microsoft will make a new push this week to force-fed Windows 10

Windows 7 and 8.1 customers who have been force-fed Windows 10 are an unhappy lot. Now statements attributed to Microsoft spokesperson Lisa Gurry promise that, starting this week, new alerts in the Get Windows 10 process will offer users a clear choice to decline Windows 10.

If that sounds familiar, consider the promise Windows honcho Terry Myerson made last October that "You can specify that you no longer want to receive notifications of the Windows 10 upgrade through the Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 settings pages." Eight months later -- and one month before the marched upgrades are expected to end on July 29 -- we may finally be getting some relief.

Exactly what kind of relief is hard to say.

In what appears to be an exclusive report, Troy Wolverton in his (San Jose) Mercury News tech blog siliconbeat said last night:

Unlike before, the alerts will now offer users a clear choice to decline Windows 10. And if users click on the red "x" button to dismiss the alert, Windows will no longer consider that a confirmation that users want to upgrade to Windows 10.

After hearing from customers that the alert boxes were "confusing," Microsoft decided to change them, said Lisa Gurry, Microsoft's senior director for Windows.

"We're working really hard to address it," she said. "We're working hard to deliver a Windows that everyone will really love."

If you've been following my columns, you know all about the havoc created by the Get Windows 10 upgrade program: the "accidental" forced upgrades last October, dicey signup notices ("Upgrade Now/Upgrade Tonight"), hidden folders with 3GB to 6GB of unwanted downloaded data, and nagging Windows processes that automatically restart themselves.

My squeaky-clean built-from-scratch Windows 7 test machines now show two different upgrade notifications: "Upgrade Now/Upgrade Tonight" and the more civilized "Upgrade Now/Start download, upgrade later" shown in the two screenshots below.

upgrade now upgrade tonight 2016 06 28   upgrade now upgrad later 2016 06 28

Clicking the "X" on either of the notices is the only way out of the forced Win10 upgrade march.

These are just two of the more than dozen Get Windows 10 notifications from Microsoft since the start of the GWX campaign last year. It appears the notifications are generated on the fly: When you click on the GWX icon in the system tray, next to the time, Windows generates a new notification based on unknown parameters. One commenter on AskWoody likened the tactic to the action of a polymorphic virus.

Just a month ago, Microsoft posted new upgrade guidelines in KB 3095675, which includes the infamous "X doesn't work" version of the notification screen (see screenshot below).

Win10 upgrade scheduled

Whereas clicking the "X" on the first two dialogs is the only way to exit the upgrade, clicking the "X" on this new dialog only digs you in deeper, with an upgrade scheduled and ready to run with or without your consent.

In all the cases I've seen since October, the upgrade routine puts a EULA up as soon as it's ready to re-boot into Windows 10 (see screenshot).

win10 upgrade eula

By clicking Accept, you're really saying "Yes, it's OK to install Windows 10 on this PC." For many Windows 7 and 8.1 customers, it's the last (in some cases the only) chance to abort a Win10 installation. You can decide for yourself if that EULA constitutes adequate notification that your machine is about to be taken over.

At least one judge thought Microsoft had overstepped its bounds. Gregg Keizer at Computerworld has an excellent recounting of the story of Teri Goldstein and her successful lawsuit against Microsoft that resulted in a $10,000 judgment. Court records show that Goldstein filed the lawsuit on Jan. 21 and received a favorable judgment on March 4. Microsoft appealed the decision on April 11, then abandoned its appeal on May 12 (t/h Annemarie at AskWoody).

As Goldstein told Alexander Martin at The Register:

"My reason for taking them to small claims court was to collect monetary loss due me from this effect of their forced upgrade and also to hold them accountable for their wrongdoing. I urge every person who has a consumer issue to know their rights and fight back. Only then will large corporations begin to understand that they cannot just do what they want."

Perhaps the new process, promised by Microsoft's Gurry, will invoke the promises made by Myerson eight months ago. Microsoft has stated it will stop its free upgrades on July 29. We're right down to the wire.

Every indication is that Microsoft will continue to honor its own terms of engagement and avoid installing Windows 10 on PCs that have the right bits flipped in the Registry. Those of you who rely on GWX Control Panel or Never10 to fend off the Get Windows 10 beast should continue to receive protection.

Source: Get ready for yet another change to 'Get Windows 10' nagware

InfoWorld - Woody on Windows

AskWoody.com - Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows and Office

Archived