Microsoft to limit shared items volume for free OneDrive users

Jordan

Microsoft to limit shared items volume for free OneDrive users

It has come to our knowledge that Microsoft is applying more restrictions to free OneDrive user accounts. Earlier, Microsoft had shrunk their disk space from the promised 15 GB to 5 GB for users who didn't have a paid subscription. This time, the company is reducing the available outgoing traffic for files shared by a free OneDrive user.

While it is not clear how much traffic exactly this new limit allows, users who had shared a huge amount of files over OneDrive started to receive notifications like this:

OneDrive prevents sharing

The message above suggests the user to share files with less people, or remove the huge files from shared access. It also does not allow you to share more files than what is already shared after you receive this message.

This is definitely not a welcome change for OneDrive users. Microsoft's cloud service provided an advantage by having no traffic restrictions like other services have (DropBox, for example). It looks like Microsoft is trying to get more users to pay for OneDrive subscriptions by making the free service less attractive. This can cause users to migrate from the OneDrive service to any of the other dozens of free cloud storage services. Considering how frequently Microsoft kills and changes their services and apps and does not maintain long-term continuity or stability, this is likely to disappoint users. Credits: Deskmodder.de

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAS or use another cloud (google, yandisk, baidu), avoid Dropbox and OneDrive.

That's  the way all these  cloud companies work they get you hooked and then try to charge you money for more , Ive never uploaded nothing to no Google ether I don't upload nothing at all unless im going  to share it  and were i'm from its not very wise to be using Google to share anything ..  I got 3 external  HHD  drives 7 TB of storage . Offline storage is more cheap for what you pay for premium cloud you can buy a new external  HHD  every year even ,

The purpose of the cloud is to be accessible from everywhere: unless you bring your 7TB with you or you share them through a NAS/dyndns from your own connection (then hoping you have fiber with a proper upload speed), you cannot replace a cloud with external HDD. That's not the same usage, one is for backup and storage the other is more for convenience and accessibility. I use Hubic which has no limitation, 25Go for free or 10TB (10 000 Go) for 50€/year, which is even cheaper than buying your own HDD.

OneDrive used to be good, but now it's garbage. It's limited, clumsy and glitchy. And now they are limiting the sharing. What good is advertising it as best of the best file hosting that you can't actually use for anything? Pointless. Google Drive is also limiting downloads I head, but at least it's not stupendously glitchy and clumsy as OneDrive.

Archived