When Software Companies don’t accept No

Batu69

One of the most frustrating experience when it comes to software is how some companies won't accept no for an answer when it comes to software.

A prime example of this is how Microsoft advertises Windows 10 on devices running Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Instead of displaying a one-time dialog to users with clearly identifiable Yes, No and maybe "not now" options, it uses various tactics to push its new operating system.

Besides using various designs and layouts for the Get Windows 10 dialog, Microsoft is pushing out updates for the upgrade dialog regularly. Users who don't want Windows 10 have to block (again) those to avoid getting the PC upgraded to the operating system.

I described the practice as having the characteristics of a never-ending legal malware attack. In essence, Microsoft won't accept the user's choice (if one can be made that states no) but interprets it as not now but maybe later instead.

When Software Companies don't accept No

But Microsoft is not the only company that won't take (one) no for an answer. The following happens when you install a free Auslogics program for instance.

The installer displays the choice between express and custom installation. If you have installed software previously on Windows, you know that custom is the way to go as it will reveal any offers the developer might have slipped into the package.

In Auslogics case, it is the company's BoostSpeed application that will get installed if you select express install.

install offer

BoostSpeed is a commercial program that will be installed as a trial version on the PC if the option is not unchecked at that point.

So far so normal. Auslogics displays another screen at the end of the installation that confirms to the user that the program installed correctly.

A "run a free scan" checkbox is checked on that prompt and can be interpreted wrongly by the user depending on the program installed.

If you install Duplicate File Finder for instance, you would expect the program to scan the PC for duplicates.

The three bullet points on the page hint that it may be unrelated to the program you just installed, but only the hovering over the information icon next to the option reveals that leaving the box checked will install BoostSpeed on the system.

installation offer

Then, after unchecking that box and clicking finish, you are taken to the Auslogics website where yet another offer to download BoostSpeed is presented to you in an overlay on the site.

boostspeed

You get three offers to install BoostSpeed, of which two may be overlooked depending on your computing experience.

Auslogics is not the only company that makes use of these tactics to get its software installed on user systems.

If Java is installed on your PC for instance, you may get third-party offers during installation or upgrades as well, and usually the same offer.

You can avoid those however as Oracle implemented an option in the settings to block those, but that requires that you know about it in first place.

Closing Words

Some users may stop using software by companies that don't value user choice or use deceptive tactics to get users to install software they have no interest in. My colleague Wayne over on Betanews removed the Auslogics program from his PC as a result for instance.

While it is relatively easy when it comes to software that you install, the case looks a bit different when it comes to the operating system.

Windows 7 and 8 users cannot just stop using the operating system, at least not easily. While the installation of Linux may be an option, it is something that many users shy away from for various reasons.

I don't mind offers when it comes to the installation or upgrading of software on Windows. What I dislike is if deception is used to get users to install these offers, and when companies won't accept the first no for an answer.

Article source

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Batu69 said:

While the installation of Linux may be an option, it is something that many users shy away from for various reasons.

My friends and I have had a very successful program in some of the senior and neighborhood centers in our areas in moving people from windows to linux.  Most of them only use a browser or a program to type documents and linux readily provides this without the drama that Windows has provided over the last year.  Not one person has asked us to put windows back on their machine (we have images of every system we have done and told them we would restore it within six months if they asked. I literally have boxes full of drives with images stored on them).  I think that most users, especially those who fall into the group of web surfers, find linux a suitable operating system and faster than windows.  They also don't need to be concerned wtih ransomware and a lot of other malware that only affects Windows.  Most probably would not use it if they had to install it themselves but, like windows, once it is on the machine it is just a matter of turning it on.

Archived