Windows 10 compatibility site helps IT address app support

steven36

Microsoft's new Ready for Windows website aims to help businesses migrate to the new operating system by listing applications that are compatible with Windows 10.

FhPKk5E.jpg

Despite its limitations, a new resource from Microsoft will help IT pros tackle Windows 10 compatibility challenges with their enterprise applications.

Application compatibility is one of the biggest challenges companies face when migrating to a new operating system. To ease part of this burden, Microsoft this month launched its Ready for Windows website, which IT professionals can use to check if their third-party applications will work with Windows 10. But because the website relies on independent software vendors (ISVs) to submit their applications, it does not provide a complete list of compatible software.

Still, "I could see that being a very handy tool," said Steven Powers, IT manager at Millar Inc., a medical technology provider in Houston. "That's why a lot of companies test their apps before moving to a new OS. If we could have done that ahead of time, by all means, we would have been very happy with it."

Millar was an early Windows 10 adopter and has almost completely deployed the OS across its user base. The company had to test some applications prior to the migration, and it may have saved some time if a tool like the new Windows 10 compatibility website were available, Powers said.

"This is a critical time for enterprises and enterprise ISVs to get ready for Windows 10," said Patrick Moorhead, president of Moor Insights and Strategy, a research firm in Austin, Texas.

An ISV opportunity

Because many ISVs are moving on to Windows 10, enterprise customers who don't deploy the new OS in the next 10 to 18 months could risk security and support problems by standing pat on an older operating system, Moorhead said.

"Enterprises should consider switching to new ISVs if their ISVs don't support Windows 10," he added.

The benefits of the new Windows 10 compatibility website also extend to ISVs, because it brings visibility to their applications, said Emmanuel Mathew, president of Agiline LLC, a software development firm in Ontario, Calif. 

"In this day and age, anything that offers self-promotion is a great feature to be able to utilize," Powers said.

For ISVs to get their applications listed on the Windows 10 compatibility site, they have to fill out a brief online application, Microsoft said. The company will notify applicants if they're added to the directory within five business days.

Windows 10 compatibility challenges

Especially in large organizations, IT pros can have a difficult time with OS migrations, and many are wary of upgrading until they test everything, Mathew said.

"If you can make it easier to make sure your apps are supported, that's very helpful," he said.

Businesses that have older, unsupported applications often times do their best to find a workaround, if they don't opt to move on to different applications. One approach uses virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), which allows IT to deliver Windows desktops and applications to users -- even those on computers with older operating systems. Many of the top virtualization vendors report an uptick in VDI adoption whenever a new version of Windows comes out.

Windows 10 has been the fastest-growing Windows operating system to date, Microsoft said. As of May, Windows 10 is on over 300 million active devices. As of January, that included 22 million enterprise devices.

Many IT pros are already running Windows 10 in their environments, or have plans to deploy the new OS across their workstations and are in the testing phase.

The Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, steven36 said:

enterprise customers who don't deploy the new OS in the next 10 to 18 months could risk security and support problems by standing pat on an older operating system

Reminds me of Chicken Little and 'The sky is falling, the sky is falling!'  Couldn't coerce and cajole them into going to Windows 10 so now they are using threats.  

11 hours ago, steven36 said:

Windows 10 has been the fastest-growing Windows operating system to date, Microsoft said. As of May, Windows 10 is on over 300 million active devices. As of January, that included 22 million enterprise devices.

Many IT pros are already running Windows 10 in their environments, or have plans to deploy the new OS across their workstations and are in the testing phase.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  What they  are quoting here are statistics that they have elevated by the power of 10 million because the truth is PC sales have fallen off drastically and complaints about windows have increased drastically.  And the testing phase just confirms the decision not to move to Windows 10, as so many organizations I personally have contact with have told me.  They will not run beta software in a production environment and that is what Windows 10 is equivalent to at this time.

On 6/25/2016 at 0:15 AM, straycat19 said:

Reminds me of Chicken Little and 'The sky is falling, the sky is falling!'  Couldn't coerce and cajole them into going to Windows 10 so now they are using threats.  

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.  What they  are quoting here are statistics that they have elevated by the power of 10 million because the truth is PC sales have fallen off drastically and complaints about windows have increased drastically.  And the testing phase just confirms the decision not to move to Windows 10, as so many organizations I personally have contact with have told me.  They will not run beta software in a production environment and that is what Windows 10 is equivalent to at this time.

I use Windows 10 now also I use Linux  , You set over there on there old software and talk shit about  there new software, don’t you got anything else to do in life ?

I more or less use Windows 10 out of curiosity. All things must die , Long as a Linux Distro gives is 5 years of updates on a LTS , Windows 7 is over 6 years old   . You must love old and boring ? 

Most  Windows 10 haters like you want even switch to Linux and you just stay on old boring windows 7  and complain tell  it ends up like XP with no updates and developers drop support  for it  There's no future in the past .   Look at the maketshare and you will see Windows 10 already done took a big chunk out of Windows 7 marketshare maybe not a billion but they a good head start by giving it away .

I used Windows 8.1 since 2014 and turned Windows 7 off  I still have a Windows 7 machine that came with vista on it  but i never use  it  ,but  it had windows 10 on it so can be re upgraded   i turn it on every now and then and turn it  off ..i hate old and boring  .  To busy testing  new versions of Linux and Windows 10  to be bothered with a legacy O/S  :P

Tested Windows 10 x64 since Feb this year. It is really not as good as advertised. MS$ just broke many things for $$$. They force the users to learn from square one whenever they update to a so called new version. The same is true with Office 2010, 2013, 2016, .... I uninstalled Windows 10 today and downgraded to Windows 7. I love my "old" system, at least everything is working as expected. MS$$$ does not spend time improving it rather than ruining it. They tend to remove all the useful things and add rubbishes.

7 hours ago, medp7060 said:

Tested Windows 10 x64 since Feb this year. It is really not as good as advertised. MS$ just broke many things for $$$. They force the users to learn from square one whenever they update to a so called new version. The same is true with Office 2010, 2013, 2016, .... I uninstalled Windows 10 today and downgraded to Windows 7. I love my "old" system, at least everything is working as expected. MS$$$ does not spend time improving it rather than ruining it. They tend to remove all the useful things and add rubbishes.

Windows 10 was no were as big as change as windows 8  was witch can be fixed  by downloading 3rd party start menu  ,  They put the start menu back on it .in windows 10 ,At lest you can reinstall it once windows 7 runs out of updates, at lest you  didn’t turn down a free gift and at lest you tired it  .  It can be tweaked to you’re liking  I  never seen a version of windows or Linux that everyone was fully happy with we been tweaking it out since it became popular .

Windows is the most easy O/S there is to learn  try Linux or Mac OSX  if you want to start over. You think if Windows 10 was hard it could of gained 30% of the market  in less than a year ?  Open Source Linux has always been  free it came out 24 years ago and it only has like 1 1/2 % percent desktop os market share today, it does good in other markets though but never as a desktop os .

Windows 7 was released  October  2009 it took it tell Sep  2012 to overtake XP  . Rome was not built in one day ..Microsoft owns the kill switch to Windows 7 updates. and what goes up must come down,  But the fact is Windows 10 is here to stay, so you may as well accept it if you chose to use it or not and It's doing real good in most countries that have plenty of money  and the poorer countries were there's not much money XP still has a stronghold over Windows 10 ..but those old PCs want last forever . :)

kWzqGgz.png

Archived