WhatsApp Likely To Be Banned In India For Aiding Terrorists

vissha

WhatsApp Likely To Be Banned In India For Aiding Terrorists

dc-Cover-0t3t3quaal59t9o5ko41vubl96-2016

Supreme Court To Hear Plea For Banning WhatsApp In India

Facebook owned WhatsApp is facing a major legal test in India, which is its prime market and has the most users from the world. The popular cross-platform messaging App is being sued by a RTI activist for aiding and abetting terrorists who wants Indian Supreme Court to ban it.

The Indian Supreme Court will be examining whether WhatsApp should be banned following a Public Interest Litigation filed by Haryana based RTI activist Sudhir Yadav.

Yadav PIL petition claims that ever since WhatsApp started to enable its every message with 256-bit encryption since April, it cannot be broken into and that is abetting terrorist who pass on important messages through it.

“Even if WhatsApp was asked to break through an individual’s message to hand over the data to the government, it too would fail as it does not have the decryption keys either,” Yadav said in his petition.

Yadav’s PIL states that the Indian authorities would need 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639,935 key combinations in order to break the WhatsApp encryption and that is pretty impossible even for a supercomputer.

Yadav said that before approaching the Indian supreme court, he had approached the Indian telecommunications watchdog, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) and the Ministry of Communications and IT for banning WhatsApp but had not received any reply.

The apex court is now scheduled to hear his public interest litigation (PIL) petition on 29 June. Given Indian Supreme Court’s record in dealing with PIL’s, Yadav’s petition may be headed to dustbin but there is a chance that the Supreme Court may call top WhatsApp officials to depose before it or hand over the encryption keys to Indian authorities.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

While I hate courts poking their nose into matters that are best not dealt within the law but with common sense, in addition, hardly trust normal courts and high courts, but I personally think SC is not filled with idiots. People at SC have always given judgements which have been fair and sometimes even overlooked by many. So unless SC bans it, I doubt that we will be disappointed by this.

Because some people use a product for their bad deeds you cannot ban the whole product. A lot of people use knife to hurt others, does that mean that use of knife should be banned altogether. 

knowledge-Spammer

i have no problems with India but this seem mad

Facebook owned WhatsApp is facing a major legal test in India, which is its prime market and has the most users from the world. The popular cross-platform messaging App is being sued by a RTI activist for aiding and abetting terrorists who wants Indian Supreme Court to ban it.

terrorists who wants to Indian supreme court to ban it?

what does that sentence mean? it's grammatically wrong xD

1. does it mean terrorists want Indian count to ban whatsapp?

2. or activist wants supreme count to ban whatsapp for aiding terrorists?

3. ??

the sentence is as follows,,,not as you quoted it

The popular cross-platform messaging App is being sued by a RTI activist for aiding and abetting terrorists who wants Indian Supreme Court to ban it.

yes i agree it still not does come out as clear ad concise  with what it was as above but  most likely it is a bad translation...or the original post is written by someone with poor english skills

TheMountain
37 minutes ago, dMog said:

yes i agree it still does come out as clear ad concise  with what it was as above but  most likely it is a bad translation...or the original post is written by someone with poor english skills

Supreme Court to hear petition seeking ban on WhatsApp

HIGHLIGHTS

• The Supreme Court will hear next Wednesday a petition seeking a ban on WhatsApp
  • Decrypting a single 256-bit encrypted message would take hundreds of years
  • Other messaging platforms are also using high encryption and constitute a threat to national security

Archived