High IQ Countries Have Less Software Piracy, Research Finds

Batu69

Researchers have found that software piracy is directly linked to intelligence on a national scale. Covering more than 100 countries, the study shows that software piracy rates are lower in more intelligent nations. However, that doesn't mean that 'dumb' countries have no option to curb this trend.

There are hundreds of reasons why people may turn to piracy. A financial motive is often mentioned, as well as lacking legal alternatives.

A new study from a group of researchers now suggests that national intelligence can also be added to the list.

The researchers report their findings in a paper titled “Intelligence and Crime: A novel evidence for software piracy,” which offers some intriguing insights.

In a rather straightforward analysis, the research examines the link between national IQ scores and local software piracy rates, which are reported by the Business Software Alliance. As can be seen below, there’s a trend indicating that countries with a higher IQ have lower software rates.

“We find that intelligence has statistically significant negative impact on piracy rates,” the researchers confirm in their paper, drawing a causal conclusion.

National IQ and Piracy rates

piracyintelligenceiq

There are some notable outliers, such as China, where piracy rates and IQ are both relatively high. On the other end of the spectrum we find South Africa, with a low national IQ as well as low piracy rates.

The general trend, however, shows a direct relation between a country’s average IQ and the local software piracy rates.

“After controlling for the potential effect of outlier nations in the sample, software piracy rate declines by about 5.3 percentage points if national IQ increases by 10 points,” the researchers note.

To rule out the possibility that the link is caused by external factors, the researchers carried out robustness tests with various variables including the strength of IP enforcement, political factors, and economic development. However, even after these controls the link remained intact.

Luckily for copyright holders, ‘dumb’ countries are not ‘doomed’ by definition. If the ruling elite is smart enough, they can still lower piracy rates.

“The results should not be taken as universal evidence that society with higher intelligent quotient is a requirement to alleviate software piracy,” the researchers write.

“Our findings indicate that if ruling elite enforces policies to decrease software piracy, intelligence provides a credible proxy of the degree of consent of such policies.”

Interestingly, if these results hold up, with a bit of luck software piracy may solve itself in the long run.

Previous research found that software piracy increases literacy in African countries, which may in turn raise the national IQ, which will then lower piracy rates. Or… will that lower literacy again?

The full paper is available here (pdf).

Article source

• Replies 22
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Researchers have found that software piracy is directly linked to intelligence on a national scale.

Hmmm .......  According to this theory average level of Nsane staff and members' intelligence should be extremely low.    :think:

I don't think it's true .... 

I'll say even more :  I think Nsane proves that theory wrong !   :smartass::smartass::smartass:

TheMountain

I'll proudly admit there are Nsane tech-wiz members & other people professionally involved in the PC business. 

There are other members who are just as talented in their respective fields. @mona's specialty is writing. 

Mine? I'm a jack(ass) of all trades. I know enough to be useful (or dangerous). :P

Lol! People still think that IQ means you're intelligent, am I in the 60s?

IQ was made to test the mathematical an semi logical side of our brain and even not testing the whole side just how we calculate things, also compare stuff.

Off topic contents has been removed. Let fresh start Nsanian :D

Please stay on topic and stop discussing software. this forum is dedicated to cabbage pickling. :s

What the hell is "national IQ" anyway ?   Sounds fishy .... 

Who ever measured / researched it in  ALL COUNTRIES  WORLDWIDE ?   :eek:

•  

• 39% of software installed on PCs around the world in 2015 was not properly licensed (a decrease from 43% in BSA’s previous global study published in 2014)
  • The commercial value of unlicensed software worldwide dropped to $52.2 billion (BSAs 2014 report cited commercial value of $62.7 billion)
  • Worldwide rate of unlicensed use in banking, insurance, and securities industries is 25% (despite the fact that much tighter control of the digital environment would be expected)

Commercial value of unlicensed software in use by region:

1. Asia-Pacific - $19.1 billion
  2. Western Europe - $10.5 billion
  3. North America - $10.0 billion
  4. Latin America - $5.8 billion
  5. Middle East and Africa - $3.7 billion

Data gathered by TorrentFreak from Google’s Transparency Report shows that the number of links reported in DMCA notices has more than doubled compared to last year, and quadrupled in comparison to the year before.

• March 2014: 6M links per week
  • March 2015: 8M links per week
  • March 2016: 19M links per week

t4BDvHr.png

http://www.vilabs.com/resource-section/stat-watch

@steven36

Does this map show the total number of pirated software by country ? 

If so - these data don't say much.  China, Russia and US are simply big and populous countries, so no wonder they are the leaders.
However high #5 position of Taiwan might seem like a surprise. It's the country of  less than 23,5 mln inhabitants !  Are all Taiwanese pirates ?   :pirate:

BTW   Much more interesting would be seeing the same data related to the country's population. 

Countries with lower IQ tend to be smaller and/or poorer. Companies usually provide shitty service there, resulting in more piracy because people still want the goods but they can't even get them legally or they cost more than elsewhere. Or you simply can't get it.

Software Piracy:pirate:   loves :wub:   Intelligent  people :win:...

As far as the IQ results, don't bother with them. :coolwink:

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Countries with lower IQ tend to be smaller and/or poorer. Companies usually provide shitty service there, resulting in more piracy because people still want the goods but they can't even get them legally or they cost more than elsewhere. Or you simply can't get it.

hence why ZA has a low piracy number despite low iq, they are too poor to even afford computers!

hellosunshine260
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Batu69 said:

However, that doesn't mean that 'dumb' countries have no option to curb this trend.

If you want to say Iran just say Iran! Dumbest bunch of SN'ers I've ever had the displeasure of knowing!

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, hellosunshine260 said:

If you want to say Iran just say Iran! Dumbest bunch of SN'ers I've ever had the displeasure of knowing!

That's quite opposite of truth. They are few of the best I have known on the forums. But we at nsane love and appreciate people/citizens/netizens from all around the world without any discrimination. The Guidelines explains it further:

nsane.forums aims to provide equal opportunities its members. We intend to treat all of our members without discrimination due to race, color, age, sex, religion / creed, species, sexual orientation, marital status, political standing or disability. In keeping with these guidelines, we expect you as individuals, to stay true to these beliefs. If you have any concerns regarding this please contact an administrator from the staff so that we can deal with it appropriately.

I hope that clears any doubts for you here.

I  have to agree there is good and bad people from all countries bar none , as far as IQ is concerned the National average is based on people who had a IQ test . Most people never had one unless they were tested by psychologist. It dont mean any thing , many people in every country is above or below it's average.  Conman sense is sometimes way more valuable than book sense . And Coders who make piracy possible are  some of the smartest people they are .

hellosunshine260
1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

They are few of the best I have known on the forums.

lol I am talking about real life. In real life is where you get to know someone. "On the forums"...lol

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

I hope that clears any doubts for you here.

no doubts here. Thanks for not deleting my post. 

SnakeMasteR

It should have been deleted but now others can see instead what kind of person you are. Good job, m8.

TheMountain

My reason is because my curiosity is insatiable. I teach myself if I want to know what, and why something ticks. 

Emerglines IQ does mean your intelligent Paul Allen co-founder of microsoft has a IQ of one sixty steven hawking has a IQ of one sixty albert einstein had a IQ of one sixty to one ninety everybody knows how smart albert einstein is.  I myself know seven people that have a very high iq and arguing with them is fun (the best hacker I know has a high iq and arguing with him improved my intelligence).  As for software priacy steven is right coders that are really good coders have a high iq.  As for what mona said in the second post I agree with her to that theory is wrong as nsane forum is filled with alot of very intelligent users.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived