Trump Did Not Get His Way With Chinese Businessmen

vibranium

Donald J. Trump, who has made reversing America's trade imbalance a pillar of his campaign, often portrays himself as uniquely capable of wringing concessions out of China through hard-nosed business tactics he has honed over the years.

In fact, he says, he has a personal track record to back up his boasts.

"I beat China all the time," Mr. Trump declared in a speech the day he announced his candidacy. "I own a big chunk of the Bank of America building at 1290 Avenue of the Americas that I got from China in a war. Very valuable."

Mr. Trump does have an investment in the building, an office tower near Rockefeller Center. But court documents and interviews with people involved in the deal tell a very different story of how he ended up with it.

It began when a group of Hong Kong billionaires, including one who has been called the Donald Trump of China, helped rescue Mr. Trump from the verge of bankruptcy by investing in one of his properties in Manhattan.

For years, the carefully cultivated relationship between Mr. Trump and his Hong Kong partners proved lucrative for both sides, and stands out as perhaps the closest that Mr. Trump has come to international diplomacy.

To strike the deal, Mr. Trump had to attend elaborate dinner parties featuring foreign foods he did not want to eat. He delayed the closing because of Chinese spiritual beliefs and hunted around New York for a "feng shui" master to help with the building décor, instead of indulging his tastes for marble and gold, according to former associates of Mr. Trump who were involved in the deal.

But when his Hong Kong partners sold the property without his support, Mr. Trump waged a bitter, long-shot legal battle against them. And far from winning his share of the Bank of America building, according to court documents, he had to settle for it after losing in court. In the end, Mr. Trump's alliance and eventual rivalry with some of Hong Kong's richest men proved to be a tale of Mr. Trump at the extremes. It showcased his unflagging confidence in his ability to turn a bad financial situation around. But it also underscored his willingness to destroy a fruitful relationship with aggressive litigation.

FULL ARTICLE

• Replies 6
  • Views 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I really don't get the love Trump sees online. Any ounce of real digging into his past gives way to a whole myriad of stories undermining his entire platform. The man is a clown. A clown with tiny hands.

9 hours ago, CODYQX4 said:

It could be that Hilary is Human Cancer and Sanders is a Fraud,

so people want to see something new because everyone else is more of the same.

They're all going to be terrible though,

you're voting on which Golf Club you want to be raped with.

Spot on! :yes:

yeah. This is a pretty shit election cycle, there is literally no good choice. I remember 2004, and while I wasn't a fan of John Kerry, he was incredibly tolerable vs George Bush. Same with Gore back in the day.

This time it feels like no matter the choice, terrible things will happen so pick the least bad....but seriously; Trump!?!?

Sanders is old and at least knows how to talk.

Hillary is in it for the prestige and money.

Trump ... just likes the attention and his chance to avoid some taxes, he knows about executive privilege's :) 

Archived