NativeShot screenshot tool for Firefox

Batu69

NativeShot is a Firefox add-on that enables you to take screenshots of anything that is displayed on the monitor even outside of Firefox's window.

What makes NativeShot particularly interesting besides that is the fact that it supports many of the features such as hotkey support, delayed screenshots or an editor that desktop screenshot programs offer.

The extension adds an icon to Firefox's main toolbar during installation, and looks like any other screenshot tool for the browser on first glance.

NativeShow

native shot

The first difference becomes obvious when you click on the button or tap on the Print screen on the keyboard. Instead of limiting the area that a screenshot can be taken of to the browser window, you are free to include any other area of the screen.

You could use NativeShow as your main screenshot taking tool for Windows because of this functionality.

You will notice the toolbar that the extension displays on the screen when its functionality is triggered. The default option selected automatically is a selection tool that allows you to draw a rectangle on the screen to take a screenshot of that area. You can switch to fullscreen or a window selecting mode instead using the toolbar.

The toolbar lists other options that help you take screenshots. You can enable a zoom view which zooms in automatically on the area the cursor is o, or draw on the screenshot, for instance by adding text, using the blur tool or drawing shapes or lines on it.

The editing interface lacks an arrow drawing option but that is the only thing that appears to be missing from it.

The processing options are equally interesting. Images can be saved to the local system, printed, opied to the clipboard, or even processed to extract text from them using one of three text recognition algorithms the extension supports.

You may also upload the screenshot to popular online destinations such as Imgur, Dropbox, Google Drive, or social media sites (Twitter supported, Facebook coming).

Last but not least, you may run a reverse image search on the screenshot using Google Images or Tineye (with Bing coming soon).

The toolbar can be controlled using the mouse or by using shortcuts. The developer of the extension highlights all available shortcuts on the add-ons homepage over on the Mozilla AMO website.

Another interesting option when it comes to the add-on is that it supports delayed screenshots. A delayed screenshot is taken after a certain amount of time and not instantly. This can be useful if you want to capture a menu for instance.

To create a delayed screenshot hold down the Shift-key before clicking on the capture button. Each Shift-click adds 5 seconds to the timer which adds more flexibility to the process.

nativeshot dashboard

NativeShot displays a notification at the bottom of the Firefox window whenever you save a screenshot or process it. It highlights the action and displays options that you can make use of.

You may open the saved folder on the local system for instance using it. Also, information may get saved to the clipboard right away. If you save a screenshot to the local system for instance, its path is automatically saved to the clipboard.

NativeShot Options

nativeshot options

The options are divided into two main areas: first settings that provide you with controls to change the local save folder, disable the global hotkey, or disable the print preview, and second the dashboard that acts as a history.

You find the supported save options listed on the dashboard and may select one of them or the "all" listing to display screenshots you have taken previously.

These are displayed by the extension then provided that they still exist and have not been removed.

An option to clear the dashboard or to prevent the recording of the history in first place is missing unfortunately.

Closing Words

NativeShot is a powerful screenshot capture extension for Firefox that offers functionality that goes beyond the browser frame. It is comparable to dedicated screenshot capturing programs, and while one or the other option is missing right now, it is well-designed and easy to use.

NativeShot

Article source

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You dont need this as pressing printscreen and then going into paint and clicking on paste does the exact same shit and firefox doesnt need to be open for you to use printscreen obviously.

i see i can print what i've selected directly, so for me this is a good tool as it will be faster than hitting printscreen and then going to paint to select what i really want and then print it

21 hours ago, Holmes said:

You dont need this as pressing printscreen and then going into paint and clicking on paste does the exact same shit and firefox doesnt need to be open for you to use printscreen obviously.

Don't you know you can use snipping tool? It's less tedious than the step you mentioned above. Just saying... :rolleyes:

An interesting tool; fine option to all those shareware around as "screenshot" app. Certainly I'm getting it.

By the way, I use a trick that quite frequently works great (may not work on ALL pages, some are rather tricky), making a PDF print of the whole page and then I edit the detail I need. You should use a large page format to print the whole webpage. Even if sometimes you can't print it as it is because you might need a plotter, you always can edit the result or even reduce the page to a smaller format without loss of quality of your "original" text because PDF is a vectorial display. Foxit PhantomPDF is a great tool for PDF editing

stylemessiah

Why would you use a browser addon to do a screenshot?

Why wouldnt you use somethign like ShareX, which does a trillion things, including upload/editing as well

https://getsharex.com/

why?? cuz i sometimes need to print small portion of internet pages that right i can only edit while doing the screenprint/paint thing.

why should i need to install another program when this addons will certainly perfectly do the job with only 3 clicks (one to select the tool, 2 to select what i need, 3 to press print)

Archived