Microsoft’s Forced Windows 10 Upgrades Pay Off, More Users Give Up on Windows 7

Batu69

Stats show a growth in Windows 10 adoption rate

microsoft-s-forced-windows-10-upgrades-p

Windows 10 adoption rate growing

Recent statistics are showing that the Windows 10 adoption rate has increased in the last couple of months and one possible reason for this is Microsoft’s more aggressive push that involves automatic upgrades scheduled on Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs.

The controversy around these scheduled upgrades started last month when users discovered that their computers where projected to start installing Windows 10 without their consent. Although Microsoft clearly stated that this behavior was nothing new and users still had the option to cancel the upgrade, it’s no secret that many PCs actually ended up running Windows 10 because of this approach.

And data provided by StatCounter shows that Windows 10’s most recent growth recorded in May was bigger than the one experienced in late 2015/early 2016 when the new operating system benefitted from holiday sales of new devices.

Free upgrade offer ending July 29

As CW states, the forced upgrades are responsible for this growth, together with Microsoft’s reminders that the free upgrade promo ends on July 29. Earlier this month, the software giant reminded that Windows 7 and 8.1 users were allowed to install Windows 10 free of charge until July 29, warning that whoever is late to the party would have to pay the full price of a Windows 10 license.

It’s believed that this statement acted as a catalyst for the growth and more users running Windows 7 and 8.1 rushed to upgrade to Windows 10, hence contributing to the aforementioned increased adoption rate.

Without a doubt, Microsoft can be nothing but pleased to see Windows 10 growing at such a fast pace, although it’s hard to tell how many of the users who installed the new OS actually did it on purpose and how many were upgraded without even knowing it. What’s important to know for users whose PCs are upgraded to Windows 10, however, is that anyone can go back to their previous OS version during the first 30 days thanks to a built-in downgrade option in Settings > Windows Update.

microsoft-s-forced-windows-10-upgrades-p

Downgrade option in Windows 10 Settings app

Article source

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More Users Give Up on Windows 7

any backstep comrades! traitors will be shot!:lmao:

%D0%B4%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B7%D1%8C%D1%8F-%D1

No worries! It happens with every release of Windows operating system.....people would initially resist on giving up their installed OS, then would move to the new one repeating it again with next OS release.

TrasMontano

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to windows 10. My 8 year old laptop isn't at its best mostly because of driver issues.

That said, having to perform a fresh install of windows 7, what is the best software to block the upgrade to windows 10?

Thanks,

TrasMontano

3 hours ago, Rok said:

No worries! It happens with every release of Windows operating system.....people would initially resist on giving up their installed OS, then would move to the new one repeating it again with next OS release.

Not really  Vista or Windows 8  most people never installed it . Only reason so many people installed windows 7 was because XP  ended up running out of updates  was why most business  switched over .

1  Windows 10 is a free upgrade so they didn't sell  it too all these people like they did every other version of windows,  so still its a failure  tell  people buy new devices with it on it.. If they tired to pull this and it was not free like other versions of  windows and  upgraded you and people had to buy it, everyone would have left windows . Money talks .

2. Not very many people voluntary installed Windows 10 , Even though it was free they had to force on it on the computer illiterate .Meaning they could not give it away. So they have too cheat

3.  PCs and Laptops sales has not sold good since 2013 ,They want everyone on windows 10 so they can serve you ads and harvest you're  data so they can make money off you through ads everyone who installs it pays for windows 10  , I want have no part of it i will stay on what version of windows I  have  that i paid for now, no way am I going to downgrade to windows 10 . The day they downgrade  my pc to windows 10 will be the day i nuke windows and just use Linux. I dont care what the rest of the world does i dont gain nothing by upgrading too Windows 10 only Microsoft does.

4. Every person who leaves Windows 7 just one step closer too Android becoming the most used O/S in the world . It seems Microsoft rather lose there longtime winning streak of being the most used O/S in the world in place of putting  windows 10 on old dinosaur devices that people bought years ago to smart phones .

jyuSAVG.png

2 hours ago, Rok said:

I didn't resist upgrading from Win98 to XP from XP to Vista and from Vista to 7.

But i did resist going from 7 to 8 and to 10.Why? Cause i need a desktop OS thats why.

I want to be able to change the settings of my OS and update it whenever i feel like and also uninstall stuff that i will never use,like cortana ,one drive etc

Has any MS fanboy ever wonder why they wont let you do those things?

So to sum up people won't resist upgrading to a better OS, if the OS is indeed better

To be truthful  when XP  came out  I paid over a $1000 for a new XP PC  by the time Windows 8 came out  they could not  hardly sell even $400 units with new windows on it that run circles around  those old XP  PCs . People dont reset they just didn't buy , They all are buying smart phones instead since 2013. That's why they gave windows 10 away free and forcing it to try to switch everyone over to the Advert model . They know there washed up and cant sell windows much anymore . When they give something away free  to everyone  with adverts that they sold for 40 years   That's a sign of desperation and trouble , It's not a good thing. You may can force something  for free on people and the  naive  settle for it and give up . But you cant force no one to buy anything  they have to be willing  to buy and have money to buy. Money dont grow on trees .

I told people in another post that windows 10 had a  increase in users due too forced upgrades so i already knew this,   at statcounter it went from 16.31% in April too 17.92 %  in May so far . Still 82%  are using another Desktop besides windows 10 so that's not a very big jump for someone who clams there going charge for it after July  29th and really prove themselves . All the money they spent on giving it away free ,pushing it on the computer illiterate its  10 mths old  and still only 17.92 %  are using it :)

And this article  is based on statcounter what kind of site is softpedia that they dont even list were the data came from?  I had to go too computerworld  to the Original post to even see how deceiving .

StatCounter, which measures usage share -- a proxy for activity, but not necessarily representative of the number of devices running Windows 10 -- portrayed a large and extended string of week-over-week increases, starting around May 13 and continuing through Thursday. In the last three days -- starting Tuesday -- those gains were in excess of a percentage point, a rarity in StatCounter's Windows 10 data.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3076134/microsoft-windows/windows-10-books-big-growth-spurt.html#tk.rss_all

The picture in o/p is from .computerworld's  own Windows 10 fanboy Gregg Keizer  every pc centric news  site have Windows Fanboys , Apple Fanboys and Linux fanboys  and there going too make something look good  regardless if ever sells or not . There job depends on it.  ME , Vista ,Windows 8 was proof of this and Windows 10 was free so there comparing apples too oranges. When they start selling Windows 10 for $110 or $200 a pop without deceiving people into installing for free  i will believe this rubbish matters . As long it's free  its just Microsoft PR hype.

straycat19

Been so busy rolling back systems and giving instructions over the phone and via email that haven't even had time to get on here till now.  Went through two cell phone batteries today using speakerphone while working on systems and sending emails.  Don't know if anyone else on this forum is helping people rollback their unwanted Windows 10 upgrades but you should.  We have been doing it for free for 10 months now, hopefully after July this nonsense will stop because no one is going to pay for Windows 10.  I am still buying new systems with Windows 7 x64 Pro on them, though there is a flyer with them that says I get a free Windows 10 upgrade.  Fortunately I still have a box full of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Licenses, enough to last me several more ;years.

On 5/29/2016 at 11:27 AM, straycat19 said:

Been so busy rolling back systems and giving instructions over the phone and via email that haven't even had time to get on here till now.  Went through two cell phone batteries today using speakerphone while working on systems and sending emails.  Don't know if anyone else on this forum is helping people rollback their unwanted Windows 10 upgrades but you should.  We have been doing it for free for 10 months now, hopefully after July this nonsense will stop because no one is going to pay for Windows 10.  I am still buying new systems with Windows 7 x64 Pro on them, though there is a flyer with them that says I get a free Windows 10 upgrade.  Fortunately I still have a box full of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Licenses, enough to last me several more ;years.

You'll find some people will pay for 10. While I haven't sold one in my store, I did have someone ask about buying it. For people on Vista or XP I think it's a solid upgrade, add an SSD and you probably don't need to consider buying a new system for a decade or until it dies.

Bought a 7 Ultimate licence on ebay and tried to install updates to 10 that took me about 24 hours.

Have not starting to use it and I will probably not do that.

Think I going to do a clean install of 7 Ultimate on that SSD-disk and use that instead of this 32 bit Enterprise that I have been using since 2010.

But the trouble to change is still a very big issue, it will take me a week or more to get this computer as I will have it.

Archived