China Turns Against Microsoft for Forcing Users to Install Windows 10

vissha

china-turns-against-microsoft-for-forcin

“The company is abusing its dominant market position”

Microsoft is very close to being thrown in another controversial dispute in China, as computer users in the country are accusing the company of using its dominant market position to force them to upgrade to Windows 10.

A report by Reuters and citing Chinese news agency Xinhua reveals that no less than 1.2 million complaints have been posted on local website Weibo regarding Microsoft’s aggressive push for Windows 10.

Furthermore, local legal advisers have been quoted as saying that Microsoft violated “users’ right to know and choose” and that could help them “eventually profit from the unwanted upgrades.” There are chances that the company might be hit with a lawsuit in this regard, although, at this point, there’s no confirmation that legal action is considered by any user forced to install Windows 10.

The forced Windows 10 upgrade saga

China is not alone in this dispute against Microsoft, as computer users around the world have all criticized the company for turning to a very aggressive strategy to install Windows 10 on their computers.

The software giant has always claimed that, despite the criticism, users were always in full control of their upgrades, and even if Windows 10 was installed on their PCs, they could return to their previous OS with an option built into the new Windows.

China, however, has been somewhat picky about everything Microsoft lately, and such a serious issue like a forced upgrade could cause bigger problems for the company.

Back in 2014, when Redmond officially pulled the plug on Windows XP support, China requested the company to continue offering patches on their systems because their licenses were purchased less than 12 months before the end of the support. Microsoft refused to do so, so China instead slapped the company with a ban of Windows 8 on government computers, but also with antitrust investigations, raids of its local offices, and other accusations that emerged all of a sudden.

Microsoft is treating China with extra care right now, so it remains to be seen how the company managed this whole new upgrade saga with a country that’s not willing to tolerate such an aggressive push for any kind of application.

Source

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

wait. didn't microsoft create a special build of W10 for china not long ago?

I was wondering about the same thing...;)

55 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

That version is for Govt org and agencies. Not for public. China, as a country that cares for better security and privacy for their citizens from other countries spying/tracking/attacks and hence the Great Firewall.

54 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

didn't microsoft create a special build of W10 for china not long ago?

That build is supposed to be for special customers...

21 minutes ago, vibranium said:

That build is supposed to be for special customers...

Can it be found on the net or dark side of web? somehow leaked but updated versions? 

16 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Can it be found on the net or dark side of web? somehow leaked but updated versions? 

I haven't heard of it but I wouldn't bet 2 cents that it won't leak in a few months.

With that said, it's going to be purely ZH-CN. No way of getting English unless someone hacks together a Franken-OS, which I would avoid.

6 minutes ago, vibranium said:

I haven't heard of it but I wouldn't bet 2 cents that it won't leak in a few months.

Having said that, it's going to be purely ZH-CN. No way of getting English unless someone hacks together a Franken-OS, which I would avoid.

Yeah language is a major problem for us to use that OS, but when leaked, someone can learn from the differences in that OS and apply the same modifications to the normal builds with the help of programs like DWS

No way that's going to happen. The build will deliberately obfuscated. It would take a royal effort to decompile.

16 minutes ago, vibranium said:

No way that's going to happen. The build will deliberately obfuscated. It would take a royal effort to decompile.

Yes but it's crucial and a good oppotunity to find out the differences with normal builds to later effectively eliminate telemetry parts, for example differences in the Windows services and their way of communication with external hosts

Decompiling is the only way to see what's in and what's out.

I guarantee you MS will make it very difficult.

11 minutes ago, vibranium said:

Decompiling is the only way to see what's in and what's out.

I guarantee you MS will make it very difficult.

Let them make it as hard as they want, I have faith in underground hackers/crackers :secret:

They might succeed for a snapshot. Then it will be hell to patch when updates come. That's why I would avoid it.

7 minutes ago, vibranium said:

They might succeed for a snapshot. Then it will be hell to patch when updates come. That's why I would avoid it.

Yeah that's right. but you would do the same if you were Microsoft, it's a closed source OS yet anyone can crack it with a single click, lol. those who use legal versions are either forced to do so or just want to show respect to Microsoft.

5 hours ago, vibranium said:

a diff against the regular CN version should give you what you want. Though yes, it would be hundreds of thousands of files

Rastus_BoJangles_Johnson

good for them!

At this rate Microsoft will end up losing it's world dominance on PC's, I mean they already can't keep up in the mobile industry. It's a  reverse role but the tactics that Microsoft has been doing and the repeated broken updates and the continuous 10 version changes every 6 months or so changing a lot making people have to hunt more and more where they moved things or renamed things the simple average users I have to deal with daily hate this. I either have to convert them back to 7 or 8 with a 3rd party start or teach them where everything is in windows 10 most are apposed of learning new things, specially anyone over 40 when it worked for 10 years why should they have to learn it all over again when it was fine before. They usually start out with why can't it just be easy. But that's my two cents.

Mandatory upgrades are seen as a way of battling privacy, and increasing Microsoft’s customer base.

Chinese users of Microsoft products are criticising the software company’s push to get them to mandatorily upgrade their Windows operating systems, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday.

Posts critical of Microsoft on microblog site Weibo relating to the Windows 10 upgrade, which Microsoft users must switch to, have grown to over 1.2 million in number, it said.

“The company has abused its dominant market position and broken the market order for fair play,” Xinhua quoted Zhao Zhanling, a legal adviser with the Internet Society of China, as saying.

He said users or consumer protection organizations had the right to file lawsuits against the company as Microsoft had not respected users’ right to know and choose, and may eventually profit from the unwanted upgrades.

Microsoft MSFT 0.83% said in an emailed statement it was helping customers schedule the software update, previously labeled “optional” and now “recommended”, and users had the option to cancel or reschedule.

Last year, Microsoft said it would offer free upgrades of Windows 10 to all Windows users, regardless of whether they are running genuine copies or not.

The move was seen at the time as an aggressive strategy by Microsoft to tackle rampant piracy in the Chinese computing market. Microsoft has been attempting to boost its business in China, where an anti-trust investigation into the company over its Windows operating system was launched in 2014.

Xinhua said Windows’ pop-up upgrade window does not offer a “decline” option, only an option to upgrade later, while computers with older versions of Windows would automatically start the update at a recommended time if users ignored the pop-up.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/28/china-microsoft-windows-10-upgrade/

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, VileTouch said:

Your wording is wrong, it's a negative question.

Should read, Microsoft produced a special build for China.

Your question is saying 'they did not'.

They did so incorrect.

I am not being forced to install Windows ten (10).

So why are the Chinese saying they are being forced to.

They should use another operating system, maybe Apple, Or IOS, Or I.B.M. Or Linux.

Piracy in China costs us the consumer more money to cover Microsoft's losses.

Archived