Windows 10 Limited Periodic Scanning explained

Batu69

Limited Periodic Scanning is a new feature of Windows 10's Anniversary Update edition that configures Windows Defender to scan the system in intervals even if other antivirus solutions are used primarily.

The main idea behind the feature is to improve system security by using Windows Defender as a second-opinion scanner on Windows 10 devices.

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool scans detect between 1 and 2 million infections on machines each month, and Microsoft notes that some of these happen on machines with third-party antivirus solutions running on them.

Limited Periodic Scanning

windows 10 periodic scanning

Limited Periodic Scanning is an optional feature that is not enabled by default. It becomes available only if Windows 10 detects that another antivirus solution is installed and running, and needs to be enabled by the user or administrator of the device first.

In other words, Periodic Scanning becomes only available if a third-party antivirus software is listed on the Security and Maintenance Control Panel applet of the Windows operating system.

antivirus security maintenance

You can verify that in the following way:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-Pause to open the classic Control Panel. If the Pause-key is not available on the connected keyboard, use the shortcut Windows-X instead and select Control Panel on the menu that opens.
  2. Select System and Security in the next step. You find the link in the Control Panel address bar if you have used Windows-Pause, or listed as an entry if you have used the Windows-X menu.
  3. Click on the Security and Maintenance link on the page that opens.
  4. Expand the Security listing on the next page.
  5. Locate Virus protection afterwards, and click on the view installed antivirus apps link.
  6. The window that opens lists the recognized antivirus solutions.

Configure Periodic Scanning

Periodic Scanning is a new option in the Settings application of Windows 10. The feature does not appear to be available as a policy currently.

Do the following to configure the new feature:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings application on the Windows 10 device.
  2. Select Update & Security when the window opens.
  3. Select Windows Defender using the left menu on the next screen.
  4. There you should find the periodic scanning option.
  5. Switch it from off to on.

To turn periodic scanning off again repeat the process, and switch the option to off in the last step.

The feature uses Automatic Maintenance to determine the best time for a scan and prevent scans during times when the computer is used actively or resources are needed for other processes.

When you enable Windows Defender Periodic Scanning on Windows 10, you will be able to use the user interface and history tab of the program to manage threats even if the application itself is not turned on.

Furthermore, you will get notifications if Windows Defender detected threats during a periodic scan, and may click on those notifications to be taken to the history tab of the program right away.

Closing Words

Periodic Scanning offers frequent second-opinion scans on devices running Windows 10 if another recognized antivirus solution is installed and if the feature is enabled.

This is just one option that you have as you can run third-party security programs as well as second opinion scanners.

To name a few: Trend Micro Anti-Threat Toolkit, Kaspersky AVZ Antiviral Toolkit, or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Article source

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a good idea if microsoft makes windows defender a second opinion scanner I would include it in my tools I use to disinfect computers with.  This is a welcoming idea and a idea I hope they implement (if microsoft is serious about this).  If they include it as a second opinion scanner thats good if they periodically scan your system without you knowing thats not.

With Windows 10 build 14352, Microsoft is introducing a new security feature in its desktop operating system that can provide additional protection to users regardless of the antivirus solution running on their computers.

Called Limited Periodic Scanning, this new feature performs automatic scans with Windows Defender on your PC to remove malware that a third-party solution might not detect. This new tool is completely optional and can be enabled from the Settings app > Update & security > Windows Defender > Limited Periodic Scanning.

Previously, in Windows 8 and Windows 10, Windows Defender was automatically disabled when users installed a third-party antivirus solution, so Microsoft is changing this behavior with the Anniversary Update. Although the fully featured Windows Defender won’t remain active, these periodic scans can run side by side with your third-party antivirus and make sure that no malware reaches your data.

Scans performed only when you’re not using the PC
Microsoft guarantees that the automatic scans will take place at the most convenient times, so they won’t start if you’re playing games, for instance, as it might impact system performance.

“These periodic scans will utilize Automatic Maintenance - to ensure the system chooses optimal times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiency - or customers can schedule these scans. Limited Periodic Scanning is intended to offer an additional line of defense to your existing antivirus program’s real-time protection,” Microsoft explains.

The results of these scans are available in Windows Defender, so you can always open the default Windows 10 antivirus solution to see if there’s anything wrong with your PC. Additionally, notifications informing you of the results of the scan will be shown with the toast notification system and included in the Action Center for quick analysis.

On computers where a third-party antivirus solution isn’t available, so Windows Defender continues to be the default security app, this feature will be enabled by default. At the moment, it’s only available for consumers, but Microsoft considers adding it to commercial versions of Windows 10 too.

Limited Periodic Scanning is currently available in Windows 10 build 14352 but will be offered to retail users with the Anniversary Update due in the summer.

Article source

Should Microsoft be serious about improving Windows Defender, users might not even need another antivirus. So, this note leaves me quite indifferent: Windows Defender is as useless as an ashtray for a motorcycle. Windows Defender is standing quite low in anti-malware efficiency. I've been using Windows Defender for quite a long time (for about 3 years) before decided to uninstall it and it NEVER detected any malware. Most of the time, malware was, and of course still is detected by Avast and I scan my computer weekly with Malwarebyte's; sometimes it reports weird stuff not detected by Avast.. And, I repeat, nothing was ever detected by Windows Defender.

Just as a very personal reflection, a great hit for Windows Defender would be if Microsoft should dedicate some investigative effort to fight ransomware. This feature might let them jump a great step ahead of other anii-virus applications

15 minutes ago, luisam said:

Should Microsoft be serious about improving Windows Defender,

users might not even need another antivirus.

Spot on! :yes:

40 minutes ago, luisam said:

Should Microsoft be serious about improving Windows Defender, users might not even need another antivirus.

This will never happen. If MS moves too much to improve Windows Defender, there will be a riot from antivirus vendors and MS will be slapped with an antitrust mega-suit.

Believe me, Windows Defender is ALWAYS going to be the little brother of antivirus programs.

straycat19
5 hours ago, Holmes said:

Thats a good idea if microsoft makes windows defender a second opinion scanner

That's a terrible idea, having two running AV software pieces on one system has always been a problem and not recommended which is why when an AV is installed Defender is disabled.  Microsoft has never been able to turn out a good AV software, just look at Microsoft Security Essentials.  That software proves that the only thing essential is a third party AV program.  Trusting Microsoft to protect Windows 10 is like trusting the fox to protect the chickens in the chicken coup.  And, BTW, an easy way to exploit Windows 10 that was found in 10240 is still there in the latest preview build.  Microsoft hasn't found it yet and probably never will and we aren't telling, it's like having an ace up our sleeve.

1 hour ago, luisam said:

Should Microsoft be serious about improving Windows Defender, users might not even need another antivirus. So, this note leaves me quite indifferent: Windows Defender is as useless as an ashtray for a motorcycle. Windows Defender is standing quite low in anti-malware efficiency. I've been using Windows Defender for quite a long time (for about 3 years) before decided to uninstall it and it NEVER detected any malware. Most of the time, malware was, and of course still is detected by Avast and I scan my computer weekly with Malwarebyte's; sometimes it reports weird stuff not detected by Avast.. And, I repeat, nothing was ever detected by Windows Defender.

Just as a very personal reflection, a great hit for Windows Defender would be if Microsoft should dedicate some investigative effort to fight ransomware. This feature might let them jump a great step ahead of other anii-virus applications

wait a minute, how did you uninstall Windows defender? :think::think::think:

21 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

wait a minute, how did you uninstall Windows defender? :think::think::think:

Just as I installed it. I'm using Windows XP. I don't know if you actually can uninstall it from Windows 10 but for sure you can deactivate it

56 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

That's a terrible idea, having two running AV software pieces on one system has always been a problem and not recommended which is why when an AV is installed Defender is disabled.

I'm not sure how WD is managed in Windows 10 but I've been using it for about 3 years in my Windows XP computer with Avast  - even if it proved to be rather useless - without any conflicting issue

3 minutes ago, luisam said:

Just as I installed it. I'm using Windows XP. I don't know if you actually can uninstall it from Windows 10 but for sure you can deactivate it

Ohh Windows XP..phew! thought you mean Windows 10. but the software is much more integrated in the OS than XP so maybe on XP it fails to detect some malware?

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

Ohh Windows XP..phew! thought you mean Windows 10. but the software is much more integrated in the OS than XP so maybe on XP it fails to detect some malware?

Sorry, can't tell you how well or not it behaves in Windows 10: sig file is the same. But I can confirm with personal experience that It is useless for Windows XP.

Probably you are quite right that it is more integrated to the OS in windows 10 but I don't believe that this fact is making it more efficient, even including this "periodic scanning" gizmo.

2 hours ago, vibranium said:

This will never happen. If MS moves too much to improve Windows Defender, there will be a riot from antivirus vendors and MS will be slapped with an antitrust mega-suit.

Believe me, Windows Defender is ALWAYS going to be the little brother of antivirus programs.

They try  to sue them over IE  and other apps before and lost  as long as they didn't  steal the code from no one else there's not much they can do . Microsoft didn't steal Windows Defender  they bought it from  Giant Anti spyware years ago . Its  a dog eat dog world out there . It's you're choice to use there O/S you can choose to use something else .that's one thing I always enjoyed about using Linux i never needed Anti malware on it  . Just  using conman sense  will keep you safe on it  . But there's so much malware on Windows that  I run  4 real time programs 2 Anti-malware .1. Anti Exploit  , 1. Anti Virus with Anti-malware , Anti Exploit and hips combined .  The way i see it  if it was not for virus ridden windows most security vendors  would had never existed  to begin with.

Already Microsoft  Windows Defender has the highest  marketshare  in the industry for years now  and Avast free is 2nd , And before that Avast free was 1st  and before avast AVG free was the masses always install whats free ,It's just like this site most use cracks or giveaways that dont use free and most would use free if they didnt know how to find paid for ones free.

Anti-Malware Vendor Market Share Still Dominated by Microsoft

http://news.softpedia.com/news/anti-malware-vendor-market-share-still-dominated-by-microsoft-497581.shtml

2 hours ago, luisam said:

Sorry, can't tell you how well or not it behaves in Windows 10: sig file is the same. But I can confirm with personal experience that It is useless for Windows XP.

Probably you are quite right that it is more integrated to the OS in windows 10 but I don't believe that this fact is making it more efficient, even including this "periodic scanning" gizmo.

well if you don't know then let me tell you cuz I have its experience on Windows 10 :) I uninstalled KIS on a pretty weak laptop which was running Windows 10 because it was slowing it down due to very old hardware generation and insufficient RAM and it's been working that way for 8 months now and never had a problem with it.

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

They try  to sue them over IE  and other apps before and lost  as long as they didn't  steal the code from no one else there's not much they can do . Microsoft didn't steal Windows Defender  they bought it from  Giant Anti spyware years ago . Its  a dog eat dog world out there . It's you're choice to use there O/S you can choose to use something else .that's one thing I always enjoyed about using Linux i never needed Anti malware on it  . Just  using conman sense  will keep you safe on it  . But there's so much malware on Windows that  I run  4 real time programs 2 Anti-malware .1. Anti Exploit  , 1. Anti Virus with Anti-malware , Anti Exploit and hips combined .  The way i see it  if it was not for virus ridden windows most security vendors  would had never existed  to begin with.

Already Microsoft  Windows Defender has the highest  marketshare  in the industry for years now  and Avast free is 2nd , And before that Avast free was 1st  and before avast AVG free was the masses always install whats free ,It's just like this site most use cracks or giveaways that dont use free and most would use free if they didnt know how to find paid for ones free.

Anti-Malware Vendor Market Share Still Dominated by Microsoft

http://news.softpedia.com/news/anti-malware-vendor-market-share-still-dominated-by-microsoft-497581.shtml

I knew you would turn this into an anti-Windows / Linux fanboyism propaganda, but it's alright just do ya thing. 

1. so much malware on Windows because so much more people use it comparing to Linux (obviously), makes it more lucrative for bad-minded people.

2. Linux isn't hack-proof or malware-proof or virus-proof. we all have seen and remember multiple news about Linux getting hacked.

if Microsoft has the highest market share then be sure they deserved it.

P.S No, im not in any way affiliated or getting paid or have invested stocks in Microsoft. 

Stray tried to convince us hes not a troll and failed Hitman pro is a second opinion malware scanner I realize having two antiviruses is a horrible idea thats why I said if they make it a second opinion scanner (which means second opinion malware scanner) its a good idea takes away the risk of having two antiviruses installed at the same time.  For your information no one cares that you possibly have a exploit from ten two forty there are alot of exploits in the build that they dont know about most likely stop the narcissistic tone your making me sick.  Dont waste your time saeed_dc steven is a hypocrital linux fanboy and hes going to stay that way.

Archived