Microsoft won't back down from Windows 10 nagware 'trick'

Batu69

Redmond assumes closing nagware dialog means 'yes', says that's by design

Microsoft is hurt and disappointed that people would think it was trying to “trick” them with a confusing Windows 10 upgrade dialog that scheduled an upgrade without users explicitly agreeing to do so.

Redmond recently created a new Windows 10 nagware reminder that presented a dialog asking you to install the OS. But if users clicked the red “X” to close the dialog - standard behaviour for dispelling a dialog without agreeing to do anything - Microsoft took that as permission for the upgrade. :doh:

Redmond (via its flacks) has e-mailed The Register – and, we presume, World+Dog – to say that the UI had worked like that for ages: “the UI of our ‘your upgrade is scheduled’ notification is nothing new (including the ability to just ‘X-out’ of the notification with no further action needed to schedule your upgrade) – it’s been part of the notification UI for months” (their emphasis, not ours).

In this Knowledge Base article, Microsoft notes that “Based on customer feedback, in the most recent version of the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app, we confirm the time of your scheduled upgrade and provide you an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade.”

+Comment: You'll have noticed that Microsoft didn't say it would re-write the app so that closing the app is taken as a “no”, as happens for just about every other dialog Windows offers.

Or is Redmond saying users who didn't like the UI sleight-of-hand are at fault for delving into its Knowledge Base every time they find a dialog confusing?

Article source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could be worse ...you could have an apple os to be contending with...updates with them tend to break stuff you use daily

A shameless denial. Just fire the idiot who thought of it already. Oops, can't fire the boss.

1 hour ago, dMog said:

could be worse ...you could have an apple os to be contending with...updates with them tend to break stuff you use daily

Topic is not about apples vs windows though    Microsoft dont make apple , Topic is about Microsoft forcing windows 10 on windows 7/8.1. What they do on IOS  witch is not really . a desktop O/S  dont got nothing  too do with Microsoft  but still way more people on IOS  than Windows 10 , But there is  more people on Windows 7 than IOS ..But if Microsoft keeps pissing off there paying customers  windows will no longer be the most used O/S any longer , when the world news post about  it , that's  really bad . Windows 10 cant really afford  the bad press this close too July 29th because its had negative press every since  it came out and this bad press Microsoft  is inflecting  on it's self  . For what ? No one much has bought windows since windows 7 anyways.  I read that every time Microsoft ever heavily marketed and O/S  they failed  ..that Windows ME  and Windows Vista  was in the press and heavily marketed just like Windows 10 was. But they were not bad as Windows 10 marketing because they did not try too hijack Windows 98 SE  or Windows XP  it was up too the public to buy pcs with it on it.  Putting Windows 10 on  all the old  PCs in use around the world  for free  is not going sell  new PCs It may cause them to roll back or switch to another O/S  but that's all. :P

I had all Windows versions from Vista to 10.

Windows 7 was(and also remain) a very good OS. But, I cannot agree with the ideea that Windows 10 is not good enough to replace Windows 7. And I got it for free. Microsoft did not asked from me a single dime. When I had Windows 7, and latter Windows 8.1, there(in the taskbar) was that annoying icon, but that doesn't means that Microsoft forced me somehow to upgrade to Windows 10. I could just ignore that icon, or to apply a ”fix” to get rid of it.

Windows 10 is not bad at all. Always will be peoples who refuse to accept something new, only because they want to keep the old things which are already familiar to them.

25 minutes ago, Chatman said:

Windows 7 was(and also remain) a very good OS. But, I cannot agree with the ideea that Windows 10 is not good enough to replace Windows 7. And I got it for free. Microsoft did not asked from me a single dime. When I had Windows 7, and latter Windows 8.1, there(in the taskbar) was that annoying icon, but that doesn't means that Microsoft forced me somehow to upgrade to Windows 10. I could just ignore that icon, or to apply a ”fix” to get rid of it.

Windows 10 is not bad at all. Always will be peoples who refuse to accept something new, only because they want to keep the old things which are already familiar to them.

I got Windows 7 for free for buying a vista pc this is not the 1st time they gave windows away free . The fact is there's  tons of  different kinds of Linux for free  but they dont come preinstalled on many PCs so its not very popular . Even Mac OSX  has a free upgrade for along time its not very popular but is gaining market share since the release of Windows 10  .  The fact is most people want too use what comes on there PCs  they dont want to be bothered installing a new O/S  and having to trouble shoot it. Most are even too dumb too not install GWX so it want upgrade to windows 10, let alone troubleshoot  new O/S problems. If its not broke why fix it?  If they cant sell it pre installed it will never be a real success  . Only gamers and pc geeks are interested in installing new windows and troubleshooting . You hang out on sites were teaches people how to install and trouble shoot . But the masses dont even read the PC centric news there all watching videos on Netfix  or doing business  online.  :P

1 hour ago, Chatman said:

i tried w10 in order to know if i could finally make my usb3 device work at usb 3 speed, which i cant do with win7.

it worked for about 4 days perfectly, i suppose it used the drivers i was using with 7 at first but then after those 4 days and an update i was back to the speed i was getting with win 7 and this time i was for sure using the microsoft driver. no way to install back the old driver and make it work again....

of course going back to 7 using the microsoft option ended up being a complete fail, had to reinstall everything, lost basically a day because of that.

I used to click on the x button in get windows ten app and it would close the app and not start the upgrade if you press the x button its supposed to exit the application x button is for closing applications if microsoft made it so when you press x you agree then thats wrong and microsoft is lying.

straycat19
9 hours ago, Chatman said:

I've used windows since version 1.03 and there are versions that I have skipped, generally every other one, particularly in the new OS models.  Some versions actually had sub-versions, like Windows 95, 95A, 95B, and 95C.  Others had modified versions like Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition and also Windows 8 and 8.1.  Microsoft has made as many mistakes as they have good OS releases.  Most schools, universities, and businesses skip every other version.   Just so happens that Windows 10 is the version that is being skipped.  

To force people into installing an OS because they don't provide clear instructions is patently absurd.  For the last 48 hours a group of us have been rolling back accidental upgrades on hundreds of systems, I was so sleepy about 3 this morning that I lost count, as did everyone else, so we don't know how many we did in total, but we had a system connected to every port on the 4 x 32 port switches we were using for the last two days. What Microsoft is doing should be a computer crime since they are modifying a user's computer system without the user's specific approval.  Sometimes it is businesses and not governments that need to be overthrown, and MIcrosoft's time has come.

9 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

I was so sleepy about 3 this morning that I lost count, as did everyone else, so we don't know how many we did in total, but we had a system connected to every port on the 4 x 32 port switches we were using for the last two days. What Microsoft is doing should be a computer crime since they are modifying a user's computer system without the user's specific approval.  Sometimes it is businesses and not governments that need to be overthrown, and MIcrosoft's time has come.

I feel your pain. I also agree that somebody at Microsoft should face the end of an electrified pitchfork for this update SNAFU.

This week Microsoft finally went too far. The company's obsession with forcing as many Windows 10 upgrades as possible saw it descend into dirty tricks more typical of malware. The move has been widely condemned and even one of the company's loyalist long term supporters labelled it a violation of trust that is "almost indescribable".

And now Microsoft has been forced to issue a new warning to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users...

Having reversed the functionality of the 'x' close button to confirm rather than reject Windows 10 upgrade prompts, Microsoft has now buckled under public and media pressure to introduce a new failsafe warning prior to the installation beginning.

5U1A8wD.png?1

In a statement issued to me the company said:

"Based on customer feedback, we've also added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade. If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

Is this enough? Of course not.

While the additional warning is welcome and will help reduce the number of Windows 7 and Windows 8 users hoodwinked into a Windows 10 upgrade they do not want, Microsoft has still fallen short of taking the most obvious first step: returning the normal functionality of the close button. Close both the standard upgrade prompt and this new scheduling prompt using the close button and Windows 10 will still take it as two confirmations to start installing.

The ramifications of this also spread more widely. From now on Windows 7 and Windows 8 users will find the close button retains opposing functionality. For Windows 10 upgrade prompts it will act as a confirmation but everywhere else it will act as a cancellation.

Yes, it's nonsensical but it's also a measure of how far Microsoft is prepared to go to achieve its stated goal of one billion Windows 10 installations "within 2-3 years".

So is there any light on the horizon? Thankfully yes. Because despite Microsoft's increasingly farcical attempts to promote, pressure, push and now trick Windows 7 and Windows 8 users into Windows 10 upgrades this shouldn't last much longer.

On July 29th the free upgrade period for Windows 10 will end and with this Microsoft has promised to scale back its nagging upgrade notices. Given most users who wish to upgrade should have done so by then, for everyone else this change cannot come soon enough...

ARTICLE SOURCE

Archived