More Surface Book, Surface Pro 4 driver updates roll out -- details included

Karlston

The round of updates is dated May 24, 2016, and for the first time we get detailed documentation

There’s a new round of driver updates for the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4, rolling out a Windows Update chute near you. This is the third driver update for SB and SP4 so far this month, with a major release on May 9, followed by a smaller update on May 16, and now this update, dated May 24.

If I count correctly, the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 have had 12 driver/firmware updates since their release last October: Oct. 23, 2015; Nov. 2; Nov. 18; Dec. 2; Dec. 17; Jan. 27, 2016; Feb. 17; Mar. 15; Apr. 19; May 9; May 16; and now May 24. Microsoft seems to have shaken off most of its debilitating Surfacegate hardware problems (see Paul Thurrott’s description) in April, but the complaints continue.

Remarkably, as of very early Wednesday morning the Surface Pro 4 update history site has details about the patches:

Microsoft driver update for Surface Embedded Controller Firmware - v103.1158.256.0 adjustments to system thermal tuning and optimizes battery utilization in connected standby and in low battery scenario.

Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine - v11.0.11.1006 improves system stability resuming from sleep or hibernation and increased reliability of touch and pen capabilities.

Fingerprint Cards AB driver update for Surface Fingerprint Sensor - v2.2.10.8 increases stability of fingerprint sensor when keyboard is resuming from sleep.

Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter - v15.68.9040.67 enhances Wi-Fi driver settings to support Gulf region.

Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller - v15.68.9040.67 enhances Wi-Fi driver settings to support Gulf region.

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) Precise Touch Device - v1.1.0.240 improves touch stability.

There’s an additional update for Surface Pro 4 devices that have a Samsung SSDs:

Microsoft driver update for Surface NVM Express Controller - v10.0.4.0 improves stability of NVMe Storage.

Dan Thorp-Lancaster at Windows Central relays a tip from one of WC’s twitter followers, Jesse Cook, that clicking on the More Info link in the Windows Update dialog takes you to a new Driver Information site. Although there’s nothing on the site (“Driver Information: Coming Soon”), it’s a tantalizing hint that maybe we’re going to get detailed changelogs for more of Microsoft’s drivers.

Kudos to the Surface team. Communicating with customers is a good idea, eh?

Source: More Surface Book, Surface Pro 4 driver updates roll out -- details included (InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

InfoWorld - Woody on Windows

AskWoody.com - Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows and Office

• Replies 5
  • Views 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sort of related...preference to surface book pro to iPad.... got an iPad and an iPod right now  but not happy it has no sd card slot... and my understanding is apple does not and will not make iPads with sd slots.... not to mention my android phone pretty much ensures that I won't be using my iPod anymore

41 minutes ago, dMog said:

sort of related...preference to surface book pro to iPad.... got an iPad and an iPod right now  but not happy it has no sd card slot... and my understanding is apple does not and will not make iPads with sd slots.... not to mention my android phone pretty much ensures that I won't be using my iPod anymore

i think you have to buy a adepter for ipads

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/24/first-look-apples-new-usb-3-lightning-to-usb-c-cable-and-camera-adapter-for-ipad-pro

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/12/08/apple-releases-faster-usb-30-lightning-to-sd-card-reader-for-ipad-pro

2 hours ago, steven36 said:

There are limits to the file types you can use with these, I don't believe that's changed.
At the end of the day Apple rip you off something fierce for their hardware.. You get so much more from competing products in just about every area.

3 hours ago, steven36 said:

but the problem being this.... you got a cable instead of a port   and as one member posted   apple does not read all the files that cameras can put on an sd card...kinda like they are telling people to go buy a pc or android instead of apple

8 hours ago, dMog said:

but the problem being this.... you got a cable instead of a port   and as one member posted   apple does not read all the files that cameras can put on an sd card...kinda like they are telling people to go buy a pc or android instead of apple

I'ts all in what someone is looking for here is a nice comparison    iPad Pro 9.7 vs Surface Pro 4

http://tabtimes.com/ipad-pro-9-7-vs-surface-pro-4-35886/

For me the small as i'm going to go is my Dell Mini  if i was too buy apple id buy a Mac only reason i would like to have one is id like to learn it. ..I'm not in the market for no tablet ..For what you pay for a Surface Pro 4 I could buy a really nice Tower . I dont want to carry a computer with me everywhere i go , even though its the in thing now days ill just have to be a square, if i did want portability  i just buy a smartphone  . :) 

Archived