Using an Out of Date Browser? Your Bank May Soon Cut You Off

Reefa

Customers could be cut off from online banking services if they fail to upgrade their internet browser, according to proposals being discussed by the UK government, intelligence agency GCHQ, and banks.

The incentive behind all of this is that out of date software gives hackers a greater chance of compromising systems, and sometimes leads to bank accounts being targeted.

Any changes would take several years to implement, and come in several different stages, the Financial Times reports, relying on anonymous banking sources. The Bank of England did not respond to a request for comment from Motherboard.

At first, customers detected using an out of date browser or ineffective anti-virus would be prompted to upgrade. Then, they might be cut off from certain internet banking services. Eventually, internet service providers may get involved, barring customers altogether if they are the target of malware. Or when fraud does occur because of the customer's poor security, banks could refuse to compensate any losses, the Financial Times continues.

This idea that customers hold more responsibility for not falling victim to online fraud echoes comments made by the Metropolitan Police commissioner earlier in March.

“The system is not incentivising you to protect yourself. If someone said to you: ‘If you’ve not updated your software I will give you half back,’ you would do it,” Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said.

source

• Replies 2
  • Views 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL  that's simple enough  to get around

1, you could  just change you're user agent  if you're  a hard case  or use XP

2. I have portables of up to date browsers i could switch over too long enough to do banking on .This dont mean im  going to trust it with my privacy too do anything else much. I dont think ill ever get rid of Firefox 38 ESR  and I'm tech savvy  enough to not care .

3. Since i do my banking on another PC with up to date browsers and dont let it get no were near my entertainment pcs  i use with a vpn  this dont even effect me :P

4. $250,000 is all the bank FDIC insurance is in the USA if you have less than this in the bank it fully covered no matter what. If  they make people mad they will just switch banks witch bankers hate.  most smart people ether puts anything over in another bank or puts it in a offshore bank . So this would only effect the UK. :)

I know quite a few banks who do the reverse, who still develop their portals for half-obsolete browsers.

Archived