Microsoft U-turn on "nasty trick" pop-up

Batu69

89780082_89780081.jpg

Microsoft has u-turned over changes it made to a pop-up encouraging users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Users were angry that clicking the cross to dismiss the box meant that they had agreed to the upgrade.

Based on "customer feedback", Microsoft said it would add another notification that provided customers with "an additional opportunity for cancelling the upgrade".

The pop-up design had been described as a "nasty trick".

Microsoft told the BBC it had modified the pop-up as a result of criticism: "We've added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade.

"If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."

Senior editor at PC World magazine Brad Chacos, who describes himself as a fan of the Windows 10 operating system, had previously described the use of the cross to mean people had agreed to the upgrade as "a nasty trick".

In response to the change, he said: "I don't think that adding more pestering pop-ups improves the situation. At the very least they should add a large, obvious 'No, I don't want this' button."

Mr Chacos has been a vocal critic of what he described as the "heavy-handed tactics that Microsoft's been using to force people into the upgrade".

Previously, users had to press the cross to cancel the suggested upgrade, he pointed out, so the latest move is counter-intuitive - "akin to swapping out the brake and the accelerator in your car".

Users have been sharing with the BBC their own experience of unwanted upgrades, suggesting that the process is difficult to cancel once it has begun.

Havard Hughes' experience was typical of many.

"Windows 10 update ran on my PC despite all my efforts to stop it, including dismissing the update several times and frantically trying to abort the installation as it started when I was halfway through writing an important e-mail.

"My attempt to roll it back to Windows 7 resulted in the blue screen of death and a dead PC. I now have to reinstall my home computer from scratch because of this so-called 'free' upgrade.

"As someone who paid for my software and was perfectly happy with my fully functional Windows 7 machine, this has been an absolute disaster."

Article source

• Replies 7
  • Views 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think MS has realised that its days are going to be over very soon. Whenever a company fall into trouble it starts to act weirdly and thats what MS is doing. On the outside everything may look good but, I suspect there's some very bad things going on inside. 

14 minutes ago, Jogs said:

I think MS has realised that its days are going to be over very soon. Whenever a company fall into trouble it starts to act weirdly and thats what MS is doing. On the outside everything may look good but, I suspect there's some very bad things going on inside. 

Yes its not just windows  pcs they not sold good since 2013 anymore .Them or Apple dont really make any money selling desktop/laptops  .Apple bread and butter  is ios   .But here lately  Apple has been selling more Macs than Microsoft has pcs . What people bought  3 years a go dont help them today . And  Microsoft lost nearly $30 billion in market value  after a shortfall in revenues — in part due to disappointment over its cloud business . Now Microsoft Azure is losing them tons of money too .

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/04/22/microsoft-stock-drops-signals-nadellas-honeymoon-may-ending/83394488/

It's clear that Microsoft is trying to monetise Windows 10 the modern ways a la Apple and Google, namely through selling user data and selling applications/apps from an on-line "Store".

They're betting the farm on Windows 10 being a success, and that explains (but doesn't excuse) all the desperate and unethical ways they've been nagging, bribing, forcing, and tricking users into "upgrading".

4 hours ago, Jogs said:

I think MS has realised that its days are going to be over very soon.

Whut. Let's come back in ten years and revisit this shall we? Or maybe twenty?

7 minutes ago, Karlston said:

It's clear that Microsoft is trying to monetise Windows 10 the modern ways a la Apple and Google, namely through selling user data and selling applications/apps from an on-line "Store".

They're betting the farm on Windows 10 being a success, and that explains all the desperate and unethical ways they've been nagging, bribing, forcing, and tricking users into "upgrading".

There's a market there and they want to tap it. Accept that you're nothing more than an opportunity to make money. Yay capitalism.

Not sure why you consider this unethical etc, this is the society we've created, it's sick but why are you even surprised? You're marketed to every day.

Still, all you guys are talking about upgrading like it'll be the death of any PC that does it.

8 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

Not sure why you consider this unethical etc, this is the society we've created, it's sick but why are you even surprised? You're marketed to every day.

Simple... preying on people's ignorance by tricking them into upgrading is (or should be) still seen to be unethical. We're not talking about a normal marketing campaign here.

8 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

Still, all you guys are talking about upgrading like it'll be the death of any PC that does it.

Not at all. But history shows that every Windows 10 cumulative update has toasted systems, and the problem is one that is inherent in cumulative updates.

Every individual update has a tiny but real potential for borking a given system. Cumulative updates can include many individual updates, thereby dramatically increasing the chances that there is a poison one in there that will be damaging. And the forcing of these onto users, and not giving them the opportunity to block them just makes it a whole lot worse.

For me, Windows 10 cumulative updates and their forcing is the Number 1 reasons to stay with Windows 7 or 8.1.

Let's just agree to disagree. You're not me, and I'm not you, and we should both be glad of that. :)

4 hours ago, Karlston said:

Simple... preying on people's ignorance by tricking them into upgrading is (or should be) still seen to be unethical. We're not talking about a normal marketing campaign here.

Some would say an upgrade is an upgrade, I think many would actually benefit from having a newer OS with continued support. It's basically giving your old tech a new lease of life.

4 hours ago, Karlston said:

Not at all. But history shows that every Windows 10 cumulative update has toasted systems, and the problem is one that is inherent in cumulative updates.

Every individual update has a tiny but real potential for borking a given system. Cumulative updates can include many individual updates, thereby dramatically increasing the chances that there is a poison one in there that will be damaging. And the forcing of these onto users, and not giving them the opportunity to block them just makes it a whole lot worse.

For me, Windows 10 cumulative updates and their forcing is the Number 1 reasons to stay with Windows 7 or 8.1.

Let's just agree to disagree. You're not me, and I'm not you, and we should both be glad of that. :)

Sure, but all Windows updates have toasted systems.. Sure there are benefits and there are potential drawbacks but as I said earlier sometimes not upgrading can have drawbacks too.

Thankfully though these updates hit millions of users in the fast and slow rings before they get released, it's not as bad as you make out.

I've updated all old Windows 8 laptops at work for sale to customers and I've only ever had one that had an issue updating. Which some months later after another update upgraded fine.

Dozens of machine.. different manufacturers.. different models. Also all three of my computers have updated with each and every build without fail, all different machines..

Well I guess MS aren't going to change anything there, but like I said I haven't had any problems with it, maybe you're just being a stickler based on ideals rather than practicality.

Archived