Microsoft sheds light on Windows 10 update policy

Batu69

Microsoft senior program manager Chris Riggs revealed information about the company's Windows 10 update and upgrade in a presentation at the WinHEC technical conference in Taiwan.

While Riggs addressed business and Enterprise customers in the Windows As A Service presentation, some of it is also interesting to Home users.

Microsoft plans to release single cumulative updates each month, and so-called feature updates twice a year.

These cumulative updates are already used by the company. They supersede the previous month's update, and contain only security, reliability or bug fixes according to Microsoft.

Feature updates on the other hand, with the next major one called the Anniversary Update out in July 2016, ship with new features and capabilities but are released less frequently.

Windows 10 update timelines

windows as a service timelines

Microsoft attempts to use the same timeline for each Windows 10 feature build that follows the scheme evaluate, pilot and deploy/use.

After six or more months of active development and testing using the Insider program, the new feature release is published to Current Branch systems.

The update is distributed to most consumer editions of Windows at this point in time. Windows 10 Home users have no option but to accept the update, while Pro, Education and Enterprise customers can configure the operating system to defer upgrades.

Doing so ignores feature updates during the pilot phase which will last for about four months.

The update is then pushed to all audiences after the four month pilot phase.

Microsoft notes that each Windows 10 release has its own lifecycle, and that they all start as Current Branch releases and proceed to Current Branch for Business afterwards.

There is also a Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) but it is limited to Enterprise customers. The core difference is that Long Term Servicing Branch systems don't require feature upgrade installations to stay supported.

How to defer upgrades

windows 10 defer upgrades

Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise systems can be configured to defer upgrades. Note that Microsoft makes a clear distinction between updates and upgrades, with the former referring to monthly updates and the latter to the bi-annual feature releases,

1. Tap on the Windows-key and select the Settings icon from the menu. Or, use Windows-I to open the Settings application right away.
  2. Select Update & Security on the start screen.
  3. Make sure Windows Update is selected on the next screen.
  4. Select Advanced options on the page.
  5. There you find listed the Defer upgrades option. Check it to skip feature upgrades during the pilot phase.

You may also configure the defer upgrades option using the Group Policy Editor instead. It offers better customization options.

defer upgrades updates windows 10

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type gpedit.msc and hit enter. This should open the Group Policy Editor. Note that the editor is not available on Home systems.
  2. Follow this path using the tree hierarchy on the left: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Update.
  3. Double-click on the Defer Upgrades and Updates policy.
  4. Switch the policy to Enabled at the top.
  5. Now you can defer upgrades (the bi-annual feature upgrades) by months, and updates (monthly fixes and patches) for weeks.
  6. Feature upgrades can be postponed for up to eight months, and regular updates for up to four weeks.

The same policy holds an option to pause upgrades and updates. This blocks updates and upgrades "until the next monthly update or upgrade becomes available". The value resets automatically when that happens.

Also, Windows Defender definition updates are not blocked if the policy is enabled. Defer upgrades and updates has no effect if the "allow Telemetry" policy is enabled and set to the value of 0.

Article source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So at best if you pay $200 you can defer updates for one month and stay one month behind? If you pay a $110 you cant , And most pcs  sold on the internet and shops for home users come with Windows 10 home were you cant . Every version of windows before you can choose  to take a update or not.. this is taking  advantage  of the poor who cant afford pro versions . More reason for people to pirate  it i guess . But this dont really answer what i wanted too know . I wanted to know how many of these upgrades and updates. you get tell you have to pay a $110 or $200 again? Shit i can use Linux in 2023 once updates run out for windows 8.1 and never pay for updates again. :P

Nothing generally wrong with staying up to date as I said earlier..
In fact I force checking for updates before I'm even notified about them being available.

Haven't had an issue yet and if I do I can revert. So much drama over something so trivial.

9 hours ago, haxzion said:

And what happens if that PC is used in a studio and while recording,it auto updates-restarts or crashes ?

Would you enjoy auto updates in that case?

Windows 10 is NOT suitable for production Computers.

Microsoft didn't give us the option to disable features they don't want or they don't need like cortana and one drive.

Who the fk uses that crap except children.

Windows 10 does good in the gaming world that's about it out of 6 PCs.. 1 out of 6 PCs in  my house has windows 10  my nephew has one he just plays games on  but he also has one he does his school work on witch is windows 7 he dont even trust it for his work PC and hes fixing to graduate  collage with  a degree as a computer repair technician  . All the business around here still use windows 7 and most ITs  i talk too dont like it very much because if one of the machines upgrade too windows 10 there  bosses chew them out because it cost them like 2 hours + of loss production  to roll back . The goverment is still using a outdated version  of IE  that requires  many medical facilitates to stay on windows 7 even.

9 hours ago, steven36 said:

Windows 10 does good in the gaming world that's about it out of 6 PCs.. 1 out of 6 PCs in  my house has windows 10  my nephew has one he just plays games on  but he also has one he does his school work on witch is windows 7 he dont even trust it for his work PC and hes fixing to graduate  collage with  a degree as a computer repair technician  . All the business around here still use windows 7 and most ITs  i talk too dont like it very much because if one of the machines upgrade too windows 10 there  bosses chew them out because it cost them like 2 hours + of loss production  to roll back . The goverment is still using a outdated version  of IE  that requires  many medical facilitates to stay on windows 7 even.

Oh no. It upgrades to 10.. what then?
The PC functions normally and whatever apps they have work perfectly.. *surprise*

13 hours ago, vibranium said:

My grade for the Windows 10 marketers and popularizers:  D+

They failed, I guess...:tooth:

1 hour ago, pc71520 said:

They failed, I guess...:tooth:

seems Microsoft  is not doing so well  under Nadella this happen last month

Microsoft stock drops signals Nadella's honeymoon may be ending

SAN FRANCISCO— Microsoft lost nearly $30 billion in market value Friday after a shortfall in revenues — in part due to disappointment over its cloud business — bruised some of the hopes pinned to CEO Satya Nadella's turnaround of the company.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/04/22/microsoft-stock-drops-signals-nadellas-honeymoon-may-ending/83394488/

So enjoy you're  Hybrid mess called Windows 10 (PC/Cloud /Phone) Windows Everywhere = Windows No were but on old dinosaur devices that no one much have bought much since 2013 . seems there plain to make Windows a universal platform is collapsing . If everyone buys something else But windows 10 pcs , Windows 10 phone , Xbox  and Microsoft Azure its not very  universal  is it and defeats its purpose. .:tooth: .:tooth:

Please calm down guys and avoid personal attacks. It's not allowed on our forum.

Unnecessary comments removed

Archived