Windows 7 Mass Upgrades to Windows 10 to Start Next Year, Analyst Estimates

Batu69

Business are still evaluating their upgrades to Windows 10

Microsoft is aggressively pushing everyone on Windows 7 and 8.1 to switch to Windows 10 before July 29, when it ends the free upgrade promo, and while adoption of the new OS goes very well right now, there still are plenty of users who refuse the move.

While there are many reasons consumers simply want to stick with an older version of Windows, as far as businesses are concerned, an upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is an important decision, and that’s why many of them are still evaluating the switch.

Richard Edwards, principal analyst for Enterprise ICT at Ovum, has recently explained that most businesses, many of them still on Windows 7, aren’t expected to move to Windows 10 in the coming months, especially because Microsoft is working to release the Redstone update this summer.

Businesses waiting for Redstone

Redstone, officially called by Microsoft the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, will arrive in two different waves, the second of which will be made available in spring 2017. It’s often referred to as the release that’ll bring Windows 10 to maturity, and many businesses are still waiting for this OS version to go live before making the switch to the new OS.

“Most organizations are still in the early planning stage when it comes to Windows 10. This means that most of the PCs running Windows 10 today are in the consumer segment of the market, and thus Windows 7 is probably running on 80 percent-plus business Windows PCs,” the analyst explains.

The en-masse migration to Windows 10 will most likely begin in the second half of the next year, just after the second Redstone wave sees daylight, and will probably expand to 2020, when Microsoft pulls support for Windows 7.

“Windows 7 is going to be around for many years to come. Microsoft has to find ways to please and delight these enterprise customers, and easing the burden on IT departments is one way to do this,” the analyst continues.

At this point, Windows 7 still has some 48 percent market share, despite the growth of Windows 10, so nearly 1 in 2 PCs out there are running this OS version. Support for Windows 7 ends in January 2020, but the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer will expire in just two months.

Article source

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i had not upgraded myself and had to rely on someone to install windows 10 for me ...i would have a hard time taking my computer to someone who so publicly hates microsoft and win 10   ut thats just me:D...

sort of a related reply...businesses are holding off en masse not because they hate windows but hate to spend money.... even free upgrades to win10 means they have to change almost all their other software too  and that is a HUGE  expense  and the time lost installing and training

4 hours ago, dMog said:

if i had not upgraded myself and had to rely on someone to install windows 10 for me ...i would have a hard time taking my computer to someone who so publicly hates microsoft and win 10   ut thats just me:D...

sort of a related reply...businesses are holding off en masse not because they hate windows but hate to spend money.... even free upgrades to win10 means they have to change almost all their other software too  and that is a HUGE  expense  and the time lost installing and training

Some of us really dont hate Microsoft , Some people dont like change  ,Some people just dont  like being pushed ,Some peoples PC  is really not compatible with it and some of us just dont like Windows 10 and see no benefit of installing a ad infested version of windows just because Microsoft  gave it away free and they need ads now because they not been able to sell legacy pcs since 2013. They gave it too me free before for buying a Vista PC  and  it was a Windows 7 ad free version.

Me being a avid PC user since 2001  i dont hate Microsoft at all , Do I like the way the way they made windows 10 no I don't ,but this is not the 1st  O/S i didn't like ether i never used Vista but tell i got my free Windows 7 DVD  trough snail mail maybe it took 2 weeks. its my right to not use something if i dont want too . I never had a problem using XP ,Windows 7 and 8.1 so i dont have a problem with change , After all  I learned Linux  after being and avid windows user for 15 years  hows that for change? Do i care if Microsoft succeeds  or not with Windows 10,no  not really  they are making most of there money nowadays selling other stuff besides windows .It's a dog eat dog world in the teach market ,evolve or die ..

These analyst are like fortune  tellers its not 2017 yet , They claimed in 2015 that  2016 would be the year they sell Windows 10 pcs  and now they moved it up too 2017. Businesses are less than half of the market  its already 300 million plus users maybe much more than that  now due too forced upgrades  that never will buy windows 10 tell they need a new PC

.So  smart phones  Android and IOS  will most likely become more widely used than windows nowhere but on Dinosaur devices and if it do recover it will very be a small recovery for a short time  and if Windows 10 is sold as a service the PC industry  will be dead after this short recovery  , because you can pay a fee and renew it .

Businesses and Governments  didn't  even want too update from Windows XP   The US Navy  and the IRS  still pays millions  for XP updates even, So  if they sell Windows as a service once they do upgrade no one will have a reason to buy new pcs and want  tell they quit working, it may just be cheaper to repair them even . Heck the US Air force still have computers from the 1960s and 1970s in use in some places even because it  cost so much too replace them.   The closer to 2020 it gets the more likely Businesses will buy again.

straycat19
3 hours ago, steven36 said:

Some of us really dont hate Microsoft , Some people dont like change  ,Some people just dont  like being pushed ,Some peoples PC  is really not compatible with it and some of us just dont like Windows 10 and see no benefit of installing a ad infested version of windows just because Microsoft  gave it away free and they need ads now because they not been able to sell legacy pcs since 2013.

That's right and we don't like their tactics.  Personally I wouldn't care if they blew Redmond off the map, I would just keep on happily computing with Windows 98, XP, 7, and 8.1.  And when those died (and I have lots of spares just for such circumstances) then I would use Linux.  Microsoft is not the God of computing it thinks it is.  At one university I know of, entire departments were switching their computers to Linux without ITs help or permission, particularly math and science departments, and with the full backing of the Faculty Senate, and thus the Provost and President.  Those departments had fewer problems after the switch than before.  

6 hours ago, dMog said:

..i would have a hard time taking my computer to someone who so publicly hates microsoft and win 10   ut thats just me:D...

Those of you that want to drink the Microsoft Kool-Aid go right ahead, just quit your bitchin' when something doesn't work or it crashes because you got what you asked for and the rest of us are not the least bit interested.

Microsoft's strategy of an invasive OS that is Windows 10 will turn some businesses away. I'm not sure how much the drop will be but Microsoft is betting it won't be significant.

Nothing wrong with win 10, it's mostly the pc user but I would get rid of the apps for pc; put them on phone, tablet, or up a rear, anywhere but on pc, I don't like apps.

1 hour ago, csmdew said:

Nothing wrong with win 10, it's mostly the pc user but I would get rid of the apps for pc; put them on phone, tablet, or up a rear, anywhere but on pc, I don't like apps.

some are good. the mail and calendar apps (replace outlook express), the weather app, offline maps that tie in with your contacts, offline translate,  the messages app is a good alternative to skype. fiddler for us developers is a nice (modest) offline jsfiddle knockoff... oh and one none...if you're not using it yet, you need to start using it like...right now! (think evernote ...with long eyelashes ...and free)

aaand that's about it. there are not many useful apps in the store, i give you that, but the few useful ones are great

2 hours ago, csmdew said:

Now that's a fair criticism.   A lot of others that probably stole the software in the first place can use unsupported, undocumented, unmaintained O/S's in their business all they want.  My clients don't have time or appetite to play Mickey Mouse with homebrew.

If you use an Intel WiFi card PLEASE save yourself the insanity and headache and DO NOT upgrade to WIN 8 or 10.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

22 hours ago, Avitar said:

If you use an Intel WiFi card PLEASE save yourself the insanity and headache and DO NOT upgrade to WIN 8 or 10.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

1.PNG

My laptop has an Intel WiFi card and I have never face any problem in windows 10 x64.

What actually do you mean by this ?

22 hours ago, Avitar said:

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Why? My Intel Wi-Fi card, a Centrino Advanced-N 6205, abandoned by Intel some time after Windows 8, has been working fine in both Windows 8 and 10. Though saying that, setting the ScanWhenAssociated Registry value helped me immensely. 

Archived