The Best Windows Start Menu Now Works on Windows 10 Redstone Too

Batu69

Classic Shell beta receives updates for Redstone support

the-best-windows-start-menu-now-works-on

The app brings a Start menu design similar to Windows 7's

Classic Shell was, is, and will most likely continue to be one of the best ways to get back the classic Start menu no matter the Windows version, so updates are really important especially because Microsoft introduces new changes to the operating system with every update.

The latest beta for Classic Shell brings support for Windows 10 Redstone, the OS update that Microsoft calls “Anniversary Update” and that should land in the summer.

Classic Shell 4.2.7 beta comes with the same changes as version 4.2.6 but includes a bug fix specifically aimed at Windows 10 32-bit, as the developing team discovered a crash occurring only on this version.

Other than that, the beta includes improved support for Windows 10 Redstone, so everything should run more smoothly now if you are already on a preview build. It also brings a new feature to set the taskbar color, texture, and text color, menu animations for the Windows 7 style, new Metallic skin, toolbar button to create a ZIP archive, and settings to change the font and size of the status bar in Explorer.

It goes without saying that, for Windows 10 users, the most important is Redstone support, as many are very likely to stick with third-party Start menu apps even though Microsoft has brought the feature back in the OS.

But it’s no secret that the live tile design isn’t quite everyone’s cup of tea, so it’s no surprise that Classic Shell and apps similar to this one are still enjoying fantastic success.

Article source

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The best Windows Start Menu" is just an opinion. I too can say that Start10 is the best for me.

25 minutes ago, anakin206 said:

"The best Windows Start Menu" is just an opinion. I too can say that Start10 is the best for me.

For me  classic  shell  is best  but I use windows 8.1  but  having to replace a start menu in windows 10 is a oxymoron ..The reason people didn't like Windows 8x  was it didn't have a built in ,Now Windows 10 has one most of you dont like it ether  way too go one less reason for people too update,,.I was reading over on  a Linux site some of the converts there story was the start menu  didn't work for them on Windows 10 so they installed Linux and never looked back.  No wonder they gave it away free and have too deceive people who  dont want to upgrade  witch were the majorly by force updating  that's not good business tactics  that's a good way to lose costumers to smart phones , MAC OSX  and Linux.  

for me the best Start Menu is now the one present in the last Insider Preview builds.

Do we really need a double Doctorate in Psychology and IT to answer the simple question: Why doesn't Micro-S give the user different choices of menu design?

Windows start menu  been around since it came out in Windows 95 in a update pack .. So before it existed Microsoft was basically all MS-DOS ..No one much ever cared out about design  they were happy  with what they had. Start Menu replacements existed since windows XP  but used too many resources  so they never became really successful tell they removed it in Windows 8  witch was a old idea Microsoft thought  up way before 1995 now they forgot how to put it back like they had it before even they made it since Windows 95 update pack.  :P

greybigtop

"Maybe Start is Back is the best. Depend of the beholder"

"The best Windows Start Menu" is just an opinion"

I truly admire this kind of incredible philosofical depth and intellectual analysis........................:D

StartMenu X,  the best for me, you can customize it as you wish, and you have the choice between Start Menu via Mouse, or Integrated Windows 10 integrated menu via the Windows key

I've used the native Windows Start Menu since Windows 8.

I've never felt the need for a 3rd party Tool. B)

Classic Shell beta with taskbar skinning

Classic Shell 4.2.7, currently in beta, introduces several new features to the popular customization software for the Windows operating system.

The program has seen a rise in popularity since the introduction of the Start Screen on Windows 8 as it allowed users of the operating system to enable a classic start menu on devices running the Microsoft operating system.

Classic Shell is more than just a start menu replacement though, even though it is probably the main reason why many users install the program on their devices.

The latest beta version of Classic Shell introduces several new skinning options that complement the existing options.

Classic Shell 4.2.7

classic shell 4.2.7 taskbar skinning

The Windows taskbar received some love in the release, as Classic Shell 4.2.7 introduces taskbar skinning capabilities to the application.

This includes

• Option to set a text color for the taskbar and start menu in all supported versions of the Windows operating system (at the time of writing, Windows 7 and newer).
  • Option to set a taskbar color and transparency.
  • Option to set a texture for the taskbar and start menu.

If you take a look at the screenshot above for instance, you will notice that the taskbar on the Windows 10 device Classic Shell is running on is completely transparent.

taskbar skinning

To make use of the new taskbar related skinning features, do the following:

1. Right-click on the start menu icon and select Settings from the menu that opens up. This opens the Classic Shell Menu settings.
  2. Switch to the Taskbar tab in the window.
  3. There you find options to set the taskbar color, opacity, and texture.

Settings that are modified are shown in bold in the settings application for easier identification. You can set color, texture and opacity individually using the application, and may use the backup option first to restore the default settings should the need arise.

New Taskbar skinning options are not the only improvements to ship with Classic Shell 4.2.7.

Classic Shell ships with a new metallic skin that showcases several of the new skinning options the new version of the program ships with.

Windows 10 users benefit from improved support for the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update which Microsoft plans to release this Summer.

You may also notice new menu animations, specifically when using the Windows 7 style start menu.

If you are using Classic Explorer, you get options to change the font and site of the Explorer status bar, and new buttons to quickly toggle folder settings and create zip archives.

Classic Shell 4.2.7 is currently provided as a beta version. The new version ran stable on a test Windows 10 system the software has been installed on though.

SOURCE

Archived