Star Trek Beyond trailer gives us a good look at our new bad guy

Batu69

We've got shiny ships, aliens with oddly geometric lines on their faces, and an intense crash landing.

Star Trek Beyond Trailer #2 (2016) - Paramount Pictures

The second Star Trek Beyond trailer dropped this weekend, and it gives us a much better sense of what our heroes will be dealing with in this flick. For those who haven't been paying attention, the premise of the new movie is pretty simple: New bad guy Krall (Idris Elba, unrecognizable under spinyface makeup) wrecks the Enterprise with a seriously badass weapon; everybody is marooned on a planet; and there are motorcycles. Given that the movie was directed by Justin Lin of Fast and the Furious fame, you can bet that the action scenes are deluxe and the motorcycles look great.

Star Trek Beyond was co-written by comedian Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty, and the snippets of dialogue we get in this trailer are pretty hit-or-miss. All the daddy issues confessions we get at the beginning of the trailer are just awkward and feel like warmed-over crap from the first movie. But there are a couple of funny one-liners, and I like the repartee between Spock and Bones. But is this the Trek movie you've really been waiting for? Many fans felt like Star Trek Into Darkness was, shall we say, less than great. So there's nowhere to go but up.

The movie is out in the States on July 22. Article source

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to like this film...I really do, I think Justin Lin has talked extensively about how important Star Trek was to his own creative identity....but the motorcycles feel over the top. Like a classic stunt gimmick shoehorned in.

I'm sure the movie will be fine, but things like motorcycles and helicopters just feel like brainless action film props; -and I would very much like these new movies to find better footing in quality dialogue. Into Darkness was a real letdown for how I watch Trek, but in broader terms I'm happy for the tentpole revival that surrounds the property. Here's to hoping this one is pretty decent.

Archived