Confirmed: Windows 10 free upgrade will end on July 29

Karlston

On the same day, Microsoft will also take down the controversial Get Windows 10 app

By now you’ve probably read Corporate VP Yusuf Mehdi’s Windows Experience blog, "Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Active Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon." Long story short, Mehdi says Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices monthly (including the Xbox One and Windows Phone). He also says, “after July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.”

The precise wording of Mehdi’s announcement leaves much to the imagination. Why, for example, did he only discuss purchase of Win10 Home and leave Win10 Pro out of the conversation?

Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet asked Microsoft about the apparent discontinuance of the free (pushed) upgrade and received this nonreply from a Microsoft spokesperson:

The free upgrade offer has been a big success, leading to the fastest adoption of Windows ever, with Windows 10 on more than 300 million active Windows devices. The free upgrade promotion is currently slated to end on July 29 and we encourage all of our customers to take advantage of it while it is still active.

That wording sent a shock through the blogosphere. Was Microsoft backing off on its promise/threat to end the free upgrade on July 29?

In the last few minutes, Foley has received an, um, clarification from official Microsoft sources:

The free upgrade promotion is ending on July 29 and we encourage all of our customers to take advantage of it while it is still active.

Foley goes on to say:

Although Microsoft told me earlier that the company was not drawing a line in the sand today and stating definitively that the free upgrade offer would end July 29, a spokesperson said the original information conveyed to me was incorrect. The free upgrade deal will end July 29.

I have to admit, I am surprised Microsoft is ending the promotion, given that the vast majority of users get a new version of Windows when they buy new PCs, and not by upgrading their existing OS… But I guess that's that....

Or maybe Microsoft marketing is being coy.

On a related front, Wayne Williams at BetaNews has extracted this fascinating statement, again from official sources:

Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down.

Perhaps we’re only a couple of months away from conscription rapprochement, where Windows 7 customers can remain Windows 7 customers, at least until the end of extended support on Jan. 14, 2020 -- as long as they aren’t using one of the shunned Skylake processors, anyway.

Then again, we're talking about Microsoft marketing here.

Source: Confirmed: Windows 10 free upgrade will end on July 29

(InfoWorld - Woody Leonhard)

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vibranium

Some people will cry!

Some people will celebrate!

Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down.

Corporate-speak: We will continue to milk GWX as much as public opinion will allow. The app will flash messages like "Hey stupid, you missed the free upgrade, what about paying for Windows 10 before something bad happens to your computer because of an old OS!"

33 minutes ago, vibranium said:

Some people will cry!

Some people will celebrate!

Corporate-speak: We will continue to milk GWX as much as public opinion will allow. The app will flash messages like "Hey stupid, you missed the free upgrade, what about paying for Windows 10 before something bad happens to your computer because of an old OS!"

Been reading about it  http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/windows-10-now-on-300m-systems-microsoft-says-free-upgrade-ends-soon/

If you read comments there you will see how nasty Windows 10 users are too Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users marking down there post. Not only did we have too endure Microsoft's crap we had too endure a years worth of fanboyism too. I will be happy if its true  then If they tell me too install windows 10 and  i will  tell  them to give me a $119  and i will and they will shut up . Almost all the news will die off about it expect for a article  here and there. Hopefully  they never make windows 11 and give it away too. If they do i think I will leave the forums again. :P

Not many people will want to pay for a win10 upgrade after its been given away for so long, so would suspect win10 upgrades will go flat & that sudden loss should put a bit of worry in Microsoft & the stockholders.   The push to get everybody upgraded has pisses off so many that they'll probably never sell upgrades to the masses for a long time.

heyyahblah

I hope they do start charging and people don't upgrade and will cause W10 to crash. Then they can kick Gabe Abu, Satya Shithead and his whole W10 development team to the curb, and stick a tablet up their arse while they are at it. Removing desktop PC support in favor of touch crap. Ridiculous. Sorry I don't use my fingers and smeer them across a screen, I use my gaming mouse. That's what my smart phone and cheapo android tablet is for.

24 minutes ago, mikie said:

Not many people will want to pay for a win10 upgrade after its been given away for so long, so would suspect win10 upgrades will go flat & that sudden loss should put a bit of worry in Microsoft & the stockholders.   The push to get everybody upgraded has pisses off so many that they'll probably never sell upgrades to the masses for a long time.

Maybe after they start charging  for it   and it becomes Windows as a service after all the free users upgrades run out and  they change them all.  They will make it much better. Once they start charging for it i look for them to make changes were will get paying costumers like me who has bought  PCs  with windows  on it  every so often since 2001 to buy from them again. They going have make some majors changes  too pull it off is all i can say... Bill  and Steve  the real owners needs to look at replacing Satya  too hes ruined  Microsoft , they need  too can him like he was the CEO  of Yahoo .  :)

Even though I posted this, I'm deeply sceptical that Microsoft will do either of these two things.

If you look past Microsoft's "X million devices installed" deception, and consider Windows 10 market share vs the combined Windows 7 and 8.1 market share, Windows 10 adoption has been a failure, as has their aggressive and offensive Windows 10 upgrade pushing.

Starting to charge for Windows 10 and/or giving up their upgrade aggression will do nothing to help.

And besides, I trust Microsoft about as far as I can throw Steve Ballmer's chair... with him sitting in it... and Bill Gates on his lap... holding his entire fortune in gold bullion... and wearing really heavy glasses. :)

11 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Even though I posted this, I'm deeply sceptical that Microsoft will do either of these two things.

If you look past Microsoft's "X million devices installed" deception, and consider Windows 10 market share vs the combined Windows 7 and 8.1 market share, Windows 10 adoption has been a failure, as has their aggressive and offensive Windows 10 upgrade pushing.

Starting to charge for Windows 10 and/or giving up their upgrade aggression will do nothing to help.

And besides, I trust Microsoft about as far as I can throw Steve Ballmer's chair... with him sitting in it... and Bill Gates on his lap... holding his entire fortune in gold bullion... and wearing really heavy glasses. :)

Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer made good products  they failed but always rebounded on the next version . No one back then cared about what kind of people  they were there the reason there's 1.5 billion windows users. Can you imagine how mad they will be at Satya if he fails  it will break  there long time streak of one good selling O/S  and One bad selling one . Windows 10 is the predecessor of a bad selling O/S

17 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer made good products  they failed but always rebounded on the next version . No one back then cared about what kind of people  they were there the reason there's 1.5 billion windows users. Can you imagine how mad they will be at Satya if he fails  it will break  there long time streak of one good selling O/S  and One bad selling one . Windows 10 is the predecessor of a bad selling O/S

Observing what has happened in the last nine months... They are already under strong medication and straitjacket...
July 29: beginning of the countdown to the extinction...

37 minutes ago, steven36 said:

it will break  there long time streak of one good selling O/S  and One bad selling one .

Agreed. M$ are on the cusp of their first successive-OS-failure, and they have no one to blame except themselves. Trying to ram a new product down people's throats is a piss-poor way to market a new product. How the heck were they expecting users to react other than the way they have?

Microsoft could gain much credibility and respect if they just apologised, admitted their failure, fixed the major objections to W10 (upgrade methodology etc...), and marketed it by telling users about its strengths to convince people to upgrade/buy it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a major announcement from them between now and July 29, detailing a major change of direction for Windows 10.

45 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Agreed. M$ are on the cusp of their first successive-OS-failure, and they have no one to blame except themselves. Trying to ram a new product down people's throats is a piss-poor way to market a new product. How the heck were they expecting users to react other than the way they have?

Microsoft could gain much credibility and respect if they just apologised, admitted their failure, fixed the major objections to W10 (upgrade methodology etc...), and marketed it by telling users about its strengths to convince people to upgrade/buy it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a major announcement from them between now and July 29, detailing a major change of direction for Windows 10.

Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer  don't run Microsoft no more  but they own most of the stock so they could get rid of him .But Satya runs it.. Steve Ballmer  gave you 12 years of free windows xp  updates but i agree about you cant trust Microsoft  but you cant trust no one in Cooperate America  I worked for many of these businesses and they shipped our jobs overseas  the companies  still exist but our jobs dont so its not just Microsoft you cant trust you cant trust any one  who is rich  period.  I worked  in the computer  industry before as a tech  making parts  that went in the units  also i done lot other things in my life.

heyyahblah
1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Maybe after they start charging  for it   and it becomes Windows as a service after all the free users upgrades run out and  they change them all.  They will make it much better. Once they start charging for it i look for them to make changes were will get paying costumers like me who has bought  PCs  with windows  on it  every so often since 2001 to buy from them again. They going have make some majors changes  too pull it off is all i can say... Bill  and Steve  the real owners needs to look at replacing Satya  too hes ruined  Microsoft , they need  too can him like he was the CEO  of Yahoo .  :)

It's true you guys and I hope they do charge so then we can take a dump on W10 and fanboiis can be taught a lesson as well for bashing W7 users. I've said it millions of times already. Windows Phone = DEAD. Surface = DEAD. The only people that want to use WINDOWS are users/gamers in a DESKTOP enviornment and business that rely on Windows programs for their business needs.

The smart phone and tablet industry has been taken over by apple iOS and android systems. All smart phone and tablet apps are being released are catered to either iOS or Android. Blackberry = dead and same with Windows mobile for apps and games.

No one wants Windows Store its complete garbage. Changing the Start Menu in W10 again for Insiders has already received a backlash because they redesigned it to again CATER to TABLETS. Now they want to delete the PAINT APP that has been there since Windows 95 and replace it with a shit STORE VERSION APP STYLE of PAINT, again CATERED to TABLETS.

These stupid MS MORONS don't realize that they are punishing gamers for this. People want DESKTOP features not touch interface TABLET features. They should cater to DESKTOP users, whatever they have left.

People are using more and more their smart phones when they are out and tablets for shitty games and apps when at home. If I'm at home I want a proper O/S if I go on my GAMING RIG, not some touch interface PANSY O/S catering to TOUCH. No one wants a TOUCH Microsoft product as they are too expensive and nothing but failures. APP makers are only catering to the masses which is iOS and ANDROID. I don't get what the idiots and Microsoft don't see about this.

Same with Windows Store and EDGE. Who in their right mind is using EDGE? Besides those MORON SCUM @tenforums.com that act like its some amazing superior browser. Well those girlfriend-less virgin pansy's obviously have nothing better to do with their lives/time, other then taking W10 up the rear end.

Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Safari, whatever your flavor is already destroy IE/EDGE and no one wants to use that insecure garbage. Why would I change my broswer after using FF for 7+ years now. Someone tell me please? I even have Chrome & Opera installed as backups. Why would I use EDGE? This just blows my mind.

I hope this backfires on them and teaches them a valuable lesson. Sheer stupidity from MS since W8. If you want 1 billion W10 installs. Fix the bugs and make it more DESKTOP friendly, get rid of SETTINGS APP and revert to control panel. SETTINGS is the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen.

I can navigate CONTROL PANEL in LARGE ICONS MODE faster then SETTINGS, and have multiple Windows open and access everything at once. Not have to scroll through screen after screen and click little ON/OFF switches. LMAO. Again CATERING to TABLETS. Sheer stupidity.

Do they not realize that hard core gamers still use/need Windows?

Look at this Trilby wearing FAT F**K trying to convince people to upgrade to W10. LMAO. Desperate much? I wonder how much $$$ this guy pays to get laid. GET THAT ASS BANNED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVo9Vdpk23g

BimBamSmash

So, once this *offer* expires, what becomes of the "Get Windows 10" nagware, or the automatic downloading of Windows 10 installer with Windows Update?

52 minutes ago, BimBamSmash said:

So, once this *offer* expires, what becomes of the "Get Windows 10" nagware, or the automatic downloading of Windows 10 installer with Windows Update?

8 hours ago, Karlston said:

Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down.

BimBamSmash

Oops. Failed to see that. Thanks for the clarification.

Honestly though, I don't think they are removing it for real. I guess some variant of it will likely remain in place to remind customers what Microsoft *recommends*.

On another note, what about those systems that have already downloaded the complete installer, all the drivers and what not? Will they remove these as well? What a waste of bandwidth, if so.

straycat19

Our prayers have been answered.  The Anti-User is going to go away.  Take that you Microsoft Devil! :P

vibranium
7 hours ago, mikie said:

Not many people will want to pay for a win10 upgrade after its been given away for so long, so would suspect win10 upgrades will go flat & that sudden loss should put a bit of worry in Microsoft & the stockholders.

Micro-S is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they "generously" extend the free offer, I think stocks will really take a dive.

6 hours ago, vibranium said:

Micro-S is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they "generously" extend the free offer, I think stocks will really take a dive.

Were they made there worse mistake was to try be like big daddy Google after making pretty clean products for 40 years they try reverse all of it  in windows 10,  data collecting  and windows updates were not forced on you before you could turn it off in windows 10  you can turn all the settings off and still calls home trough the internet like lighting does a lighting rod  also they made most of there paying  customers  mad or weary of them  from putting nagware updates in windows 7 and windows 8.1 .

The 300 million Windows 10 users they have now is just a drop in the bucket compared to the 1.5 billion windows users over all.  They have damaged  there rep already so much it would  take along time to repair if its even possible    Microsoft can go back on there word and have before you cant  take nothing they say for granted just like us Windows 8.1 users never got that start menu they promised us. Also they promised Windows 7 users things they never made good on ether .So we have to wait and see what they do.. i dont believe it tell i see it.

Microsoft will end its free upgrade offer for Windows 10 on July 29th, but the company still has time left to reverse that decision. If the upgrade promotion does get extended, it's likely that the Windows 10 notifications will continue, but for now Microsoft is saying the notifications will end on July 29th.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/6/11606392/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-notification-going-away

lennybubs

W10 will soon cost money

Nagware goes "away"

GWX control no longer needed

3 months later

Vaguely worded "Important Security Update"...installs W10 on your beloved W7

all support for W7 ends very shortly thereafter

Yes?

40 minutes ago, lennybubs said:

W10 will soon cost money

Nagware goes "away"

GWX control no longer needed

3 months later

Vaguely worded "Important Security Update"...installs W10 on your beloved W7

all support for W7 ends very shortly thereafter

Yes?

GWX control panel was never really needed  only thing was needed was to just not install get windows 10 updates .. Its for people who were too lazy or didn't know what they were doing to administer updates  this pc im on now i never even used it.  You could of used process lasso  or other things and denied GWX ability to run on my other pc i blocked all the files in the GWX folder with a firewall  and it never would run tell i reformatted  to upgrade to windows 10 . Tell me this if people had to use  GWX control panel  to control  updates on versions  of Windows were you're  the master of you're own destiny .were it was not really needed. why would they install a version  were you have no control of what they put in updates?

It's in Microsoft's  best interest to tell people there going to kill windows 10 free upgrade, regardless if they do it or not , there going to play this card to get as many windows 10 users as they can . :)

vibranium

You want to know the worst nightmare? That POS crap called GWX could entice users to install a TRIAL VERSION of Windows 10, or maybe auto-install it (auto install unless you click cancel, see that small button in the corner?).

That would be a dark day indeed...

1 hour ago, vibranium said:

You want to know the worst nightmare? That POS crap called GWX could entice users to install a TRIAL VERSION of Windows 10, or maybe auto-install it (auto install unless you click cancel, see that small button in the corner?).

That would be a dark day indeed...

When I upgraded Windows 7 to windows 10 and rolled back  .

1. The update made it run slow on that old pc maybe because i had old software on it not compatible .

2. If  i can't run software i paid for whats the point of having it?

3. So I rolled back and the roll back gave me errors so i had to run windows repair to boot back into windows 7.

4. GWX  was still there after i rolled back and files it downloaded to install Windows 10 so I had to delete and uninstall  them anyways.

5. Now when 2020 comes i can install windows 10 on it clean if i want updates and it most likely will still be running because i hardly use my PC with windows 7. :)

6.The bad thing about it most likely Windows 10 if they still make it  in 2020 things will become not compatible like you're hardware.. There's no way to stop updates unless  you go in block it off with Firewall and most dont have the right firewall  or dont know how. Apple and Linux have been letting you upgrade for years and it happen to Mac OSX  and now its happening to Linux  peoples hardware becomes old and not useable on upgrades because the vendors will not support it forever this is how they sell new units  and hardware . this why there's millions still on  XP there pcs would not even run Vista right let alone Windows 10.

On 5/5/2016 at 11:42 AM, steven36 said:

Been reading about it  http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/windows-10-now-on-300m-systems-microsoft-says-free-upgrade-ends-soon/

If you read comments there you will see how nasty Windows 10 users are too Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users marking down there post. Not only did we have too endure Microsoft's crap we had too endure a years worth of fanboyism too. I will be happy if its true  then If they tell me too install windows 10 and  i will  tell  them to give me a $119  and i will and they will shut up . Almost all the news will die off about it expect for a article  here and there. Hopefully  they never make windows 11 and give it away too. If they do i think I will leave the forums again. :P

Windows 10 is the final Windows OS at least for the foreseeable future. Which is why I feel it's stupid to not seriously consider upgrading.

24 minutes ago, Ryrynz said:

Windows 10 is the final Windows OS at least for the foreseeable future. Which is why I feel it's stupid to not seriously consider upgrading.

i done had to put 2 windows fanboys on ignore here do i need too make it a 3rd?  this  is not arstechnica i can just put you on  iggy  you need to go try to sell that too someone that dont have years of computer  experience  like I do ..i will just block it off when i get tired of hearing it . :P

vibranium
11 hours ago, steven36 said:

The 300 million Windows 10 users they have now is just a drop in the bucket compared to the 1.5 billion windows users over all.

There's the big problem for Micro-S also. If that figure is based on "installations", it doesn't count the rollbacks. I know of many users that had installations and rollbacks. The real figure could be way below 300 million.

Archived