november_ra1n

november_ra1n

FYI: How to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 after July 29

9QXdE0k.jpg

Earlier today, Microsoft confirmed that the offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 would end on July 29. We shouldn't be surprised, as the firm had said that it would only be available for one year from the very beginning.

But you might not be ready for Windows 10. Perhaps you're waiting to see how the Anniversary Update is received by users before upgrading. Fortunately, with a bit of preparation, you can upgrade your PC to Windows 10 for free whenever you want.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Back up your stuff. Everything. You're going to be doing a factory reset, so make sure that you can restore everything. If you're coming from Windows 8.1, this might not be an issue for you, as the way OneDrive is set up pretty much allows you to use it as your file system.
  2. Create a recovery disk. This could also be a good way to clean up the OEM bloatware on your PC. You can always create recovery media from your PC, but if you're coming from Windows 8.1, you can use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, which will give you a clean, junk-free version of the OS.
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10. You heard me. If you buy a retail copy of Windows, you can install that on one PC. If that PC goes up in flames, you can install it on another. You own that license. OEM licenses work differently. The Windows license is tied to that particular machine. Once you upgrade that PC, it will then have a Windows 10 license tied to it.
  4. Restore the OS that came with your PC. Now that you have a Windows 10 license tied to your PC, you can go ahead and reinstall the version that came with your PC. Using the recovery media that you created is one way to do this, but you can also do it by going to Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery, as long as you do it within 30 days. After 30 days, your recovery media will still work, of course.

There are tons of reasons that you might not want to upgrade to Windows 10, one of which is the OneDrive issue that I mentioned above. The fact is that you don't need a reason. If you're happy with Windows 7 or 8.1, there's simply no reason to do it at the moment.

Now that a Windows 10 license is tied to your PC, you can upgrade any time you want without paying the $119 fee that Microsoft plans on charging. Whenever you're ready, grab the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and use it to upgrade your PC.

Via neowin.net

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does this mean after July 29th we wont get these stupid pop up asking to upgrade to Windows 10

heyyahblah

Probably, but this trick has been out since W10 came out, people just probably forgot about it.

All you need to do is make a Macrium Reflect backup of your current W7 install. Then upgrade to 10 on top of it and fresh install 10 again after the upgrade and you will be upgraded and activated indefinitely.

Then just create a separate partition and restore your W7 backup that you made with Macrium and it will be activated also. Install EasyBCD and setup/change your boot options, if you want a boot screen or legacy boot screen, change your default boot O/S and so many other options. Then you can dual-boot and continue to use W7 all you like and have W10 on a separate partition or separate HDD and choose to use that if you ever want to and thats it.

I did this trick just for the stupid license purposes.

Macrium Relfect Free

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

EasyBCD

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

november_ra1n
16 hours ago, KP333 said:

So does this mean after July 29th we wont get these stupid pop up asking to upgrade to Windows 10

Microsoft is removing its nagging Windows 10 upgrade notifications soon

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/6/11606392/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-notification-going-away?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=article&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter via @verge

what was that......in which step there is mentioned that how anyone (who is still on windows 7, 8.1) can get FREE windows 10 upgrade after July 29th..???

This way is already mentioned 10000000000000000000000000000000000+ times on internet (Even by Microsoft itself)...what's new in this ???

before 29th July, you should Upgrade to windows 10 and after that you can always install Fresh Windows 10 without A license Key and Microsoft will send the activation data tied to that particular Machine in their Own Servers.

Pardon me if i am unable to catch the point and clear me.

Any step by step guide with images that would be great

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

november_ra1n
2 hours ago, maverick said:

Any step by step guide with images that would be great

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

After 29 July 2016 when we got Windows Update in hour hands there will be detail instruction. Without having update build we have no base to taste and verified if the workaround actually on or off topic.!

My personal opinion after 29 July the door is going to close for any workaround..

Archived