Windows 10 Users Criticize the New Start Menu Design Coming in Redstone Update

Batu69

“The new Start menu is dreadful,” one feedback post reads

Microsoft is currently testing a new Start menu design for the upcoming Anniversary Update (also known as Redstone), and it turns out that not everyone likes it.

The new Start menu, which is currently available in Windows 10 build 14332, comes with an overhauled look that’s supposed to make it easier for users to access their apps.

There’s a new hamburger menu that groups all settings, such as user account options, as well as power controls and shortcuts for PC Settings and File Explorer, but also the All Apps list that offers instant access to install apps.

Posts in the Windows 10 Feedback app shows that this new Start menu isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, as Microsoft hoped, and a number of users are actually willing to go back to the original design currently available in stable builds.

“The new Start menu is dreadful,” one post in the Feedback app reads, while others call for options to “revert” to the previous Start menu design.

The Start menu saga

Microsoft seems to experience the same criticism every time it makes a change to the Windows Start menu, as similar feedback came in when the company implemented the new live tile-based design in Windows 10.

Back in 2015 when the Windows 10 Start menu debuted, many criticized Microsoft for changing the design implemented in Windows 7, asking for a simpler approach that wasn’t based on live tiles. After several months, however, everyone got used to the new Start menu, and although live tiles can actually be removed entirely, new options added by Microsoft with the November Update, such as the possibility to show more column tiles, convinced everyone that this new design is better.

And now that Microsoft is getting ready to update the Start menu look once again, many users want to stick with the previous design, so it’ll be interesting to see whether the Anniversary Update changes anything in this regard or not.

Redmond says that it hasn’t yet made any decision on the Start menu and it all depends on the feedback it receives, so make sure you post your thoughts in the Feedback app to let the company know what you think about this new design.

Article source

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems we have to keep using "3-party software" for the Win10-startmenu..........

I think that sooner criticize the Start menu...

There is still time for the final version of the Start menu , as well as the need to take into account that they can always change it with each new release of Windows updates.

for me the new start menu in insiders builds is good, just that you have to enable the side panel elements manually (if you have disabled them in previous builds).

windows 10

2 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

It seems we have to keep using "3-party software" for the Win10-startmenu..........

On windows  8.1  I used 3rd party software  since day one ...  People didn't  like Windows 8.1 because it didn't have one ..Now windows 7 users there using 3rd party software  in windows 10  that's a oxymoron and using  Cortana and Edge  you wont never  be able to pass test like these.

nQjEBSC.png

kSoQVhq.png

I'm not a PC gamer and even if i was this one reason would not  out weigh the cons of using  windows 10  when end users are not happy with its main selling points  that puts up a red flag for people who use other flavors  of windows . :P

Why do you use it, have you been drinking to much Koolaid ?

xDxHrqs.jpg

I use them both,testing purpose.

Some things I really like in Win10, other things are better in Win7. ( usb is much faster in 10, icon-layout etc. much better in 7, etc.)

Start-menu is only good in Win10 by using other software (imo), its solid in Win7,no other soft needed.

Nothing wrong with testing 10..........is it ??:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

I use them both,testing purpose.

Some things I really like in Win10, other things are better in Win7. ( usb is much faster in 10, icon-layout etc. much better in 7, etc.)

Start-menu is only good in Win10 by using other software (imo), its solid in Win7,no other soft needed.

Nothing wrong with testing 10..........is it ??:rolleyes:

I have Linux and Windows 8.1  I  tested windows 10  for 4 months  I never found one thing i liked better in it  . there's not a thing it offers me that I  want too do that I couldn't do on Vista sp2 . Windows 7 sp1   or Windows 8.1 . What does it offer  that's so great?  you have sell me on it! I dont install stuff just because its a free upgrade and  newer ....

USB issues were fixed when they made Windows 8  i been enjoying that for years now. 

You can not run away for the future, try to be updated, you dont have to update your Win10,coz the problems it might give you.( or not ?)

Do not forget all your installed software will be updated as well , and believe me, it will give priority to the latest OS,Win10 .

And what about hardware, you see; Win7 is very good,I liked it and it would be great if it could stay this way, but you have to be clear, its not going to happen,we are all losing this great OS, thanks to mr.microsoft.

So, Im just trying to "deal" and learning to work with 10, although its not easy.........

2 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

You can not run away for the future, try to be updated, you dont have to update your Win10,coz the problems it might give you.( or not ?)

There's over 3 billion people on the internet  and only 1.5 Billion  on a favor of windows  so there's over 1.5 Billion that dont have too run away or do they have too use windows  Phone/OS . Mac OSX  and Linux . But there's still millions  of people on XP  who   dont care about the future .Most internet users just live in there Web browsers  and  none of the hype matters  in reality .

When You Just Can’t Leave XP

https://davescomputertips.com/when-you-just-cant-leave-xp/

Windows drops below 90% market share for the first time in years; Windows 7 falls below 50%

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/227693-windows-drops-below-90-market-share-for-the-first-time-in-years-windows-7-falls-below-50

Microsoft’s decision to make Windows 10 a free upgrade may have goosed its early adoption, but the company will have to come up with a new approach if it really wants to put its operating system on a billion devices over the next 2-3 years. Meanwhile, its decision to release the OS for free has been blamed for at least some of the continuing weakness in the PC sector.

If Microsoft is serious about driving adoption more quickly, it would do well to examine some of the persistent issues generating negative press about its operating system. To cite just a few, most of the major games that launched on the Windows Store this year have been in rough shape at best, and UWP titles are missing features and flexibility that PC gamers have long taken for granted. Some of these issues are set to be fixed in the upcoming Anniversary Update, but the quicker the company responds, the better.

Windows 7 keeps dropping  and Windows 10 is not making any big gains ..It seems people  are losing interest in PCs in general   and there starting  too lose interest in windows as well, even with  vista  or windows 8x  never did they ever lose so many users to mac osx  . When something  is gave  free  people with money shun it . People think its not good as what they pay for..

If Microsoft  turns free upgrades off the day they release redstone its want really help windows 10  Still this update want address all  the reasons people have to not upgrade here  is updated list.

Top 10 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10: Security, privacy and advertising woes

10. Drivers

9. Compatibility concerns

8. Remote deletion of data

7. Unwanted advertising

6. The Windows Store - access only to those deemed worthy

5. Mystifying Windows error messages - same as it always was

4. Roll back option comes with caveats

3. Automatic patching

2. The business model - take all your data

1. Privacy, or the lack thereof

Full article http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2453456/top-10-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-security-privacy-and-advertising-woes

How many things  are they going fix in Redstone  in this list? None  i dont think  maybe compatibility if you're lucky

Too beat it all there's more people that use IE 8 that's in XP than uses Firefox all os .

https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0

And there's more people on XP  than on Windows 8.1 with updates .

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

I cant believe there's still 3 % on windows 8 with no updates ? that's strange  :)

macnavarra

Until Microsoft doesn't migrate the old! Control Panel to the new settings located in the start menu it will be an build upgrade nightmare.

btw every build upgrade I run disk cleanup tool to delete the old! build system files.

Most Internet users just live in their browser.

of course. obviously. when you decide to use Internet and become an Internet user for like 20mins, using your fav browser like Chrome or Firefox, you just minimize what other program you've been working on and maximize your browser. so you'll be living in your browser for that particular 20mins, after that you're back to your Windows OS.

and Windows XP is not good for browsing Internet due to too many security flaws in it.

Israeli_Eagle
6 hours ago, rudrax said:

windows-10-users-criticize-the-new-start

Sorry, but...

1. UGLY!

2. The biggest Spyware ever and Skynet!

3. Only designed for weak mobile devices (tablets, laptops, etc... toys) and/or half blind people!

4, Not an OS for real work!

5. Still only 8.2 Beta...

6. Soooooooo UGLY!!

So I agree:

xDxHrqs.jpg

What a hypocrite you dont use windows ten now and your commenting on it and you called me out for doing that lawls.  I agree the start menu looks ugly as hell its may we have two months for them to fix it as for whether to use it or not use it or dont no need to tell everyone why you dont use it nobody cares.

26 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sorry, but...

1. UGLY!

2. The biggest Spyware ever and Skynet!

3. Only designed for weak mobile devices (tablets, laptops, etc... toys) and/or half blind people!

4, Not an OS for real work!

5. Still only 8.2 Beta...

6. Soooooooo UGLY!!

I dont care  if people use windows 10  but they need to fix the issues in it. No one is going want pay to $100 or $200 for  adverts  and data harvesting  . Compaq PC tired to do the same thing as Microsoft is doing  HP/Compaq computers come bundled with many trial software and ad-ware. Many are useless and annoying these were the 1st ever cheap pcs .

http://xahlee.info/mswin/hp_bundled_apps.html

Then lenvo  got caught doing it not too long ago . Now  there trying sell and O/S full of  bundleware crap to everyone ? Google gets away with there harvesting data because there services are free and it took years for them to get were there at now . But Microsoft plains to put a pricetag on adware  its never going to sell good . Phones  have always  been they way they are  they use to be way less sucure  than they are now . But Microsoft has lost the pilot  Windows  is not Andoird  or IOS . Its not a phone O/S   They need to  go back to there roots and make  Windows  without the BS!  They didnt have no trouble selling windows tell they made windows store  and all the crap no one wanted  and it continues in 8.2 Beta. as you say :P

Windows is the only gaming OS out there and it is starting to have a hard time doing that. However, Linux is going to change that this year between Vulkan and now Wine is pushing to have every bit of DirectX in it from 7 to 11 starting in august they will be slip streaming with no real performance loss at least that is their goal by August and it seems it's well on it's way. :) Maybe we can finally dump Windows the resource memory leaking hog with virus's up the ying yang with no real protection for core system files like Linux or Mac. Considering PS4 is the top Console it uses a Linux OS for it's system, so how hard would it really be to port from PS4 to Linux specially if it is using x86. I hear rumors Nintendo is going to be releasing a Zen APU and be the most Powerful Console on the market next year. Again it will be x86, all these console are glorified AMD PC's with GCN Mantle Vulkan OpenCL OpenGL Capable it seems the market is REALLY wanting to get away from Microsoft as an office PC and gaming. We all hate the unreliability Microsoft has left us even in windows 7 they still botch updates, every windows OS has this major flaw in it and that is Microsoft. Greedy strong holding the market just like Intel does. Most of you don't know this but AMD and Intel use to be in collaboration for decades AMD was Intel's backup manufacturer of all their CPU chips until 1995 when AMD decided to venture on their own and IBM footed the bill for all of it really.

I am curious when these new VPU's are going to hit the market for VR we are going to having so many processors in our PC's good thing there is the node shrink to 14nm across the board this year. so we have Audio Processors AP, (APU) Accelerated Processor Unit, (GPU) Graphics Processing Unit, (CPU) Central Processing unit, and the new (VPU) Visual Processing unit, So i ask you this where is the MPU Memory Processing Unit to Accelerate Memory even further. because DDR4 is an absolute joke uses more power and doesn't perform any better actually worse then ddr3's high end look at Tomshardware benchmarks DDR4 falls behind in every category. Not to mention why is Memory the only part on the motherboard that is getting bigger not smaller like the rest. Sure HBM is there but that is still limited and I am not sure how the OS can handle the HBM for every process ran threw the System instead of just games that it currently focus's on thanks to pioneer AMD.

QUANTUM COMPUTERS ARE GETTING CLOSER

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ibm-5-qubit-quantum-computer,31733.html

Sorry for bad grammar run on sentences and the works I am currently typing 6 inches from the screen as I do not have my contacts in my eyes and I am legally blind without them.

2 hours ago, D1v1n3D said:

Windows is the only gaming OS out there and it is starting to have a hard time doing that. However, Linux is going to change that this year between Vulkan and now Wine is pushing to have every bit of DirectX in it from 7 to 11 starting in august they will be slip streaming with no real performance loss at least that is their goal by August and it seems it's well on it's way. :) Maybe we can finally dump Windows the resource memory leaking hog with virus's up the ying yang with no real protection for core system files like Linux or Mac. Considering PS4 is the top Console it uses a Linux OS for it's system, so how hard would it really be to port from PS4 to Linux specially if it is using x86. I hear rumors Nintendo is going to be releasing a Zen APU and be the most Powerful Console on the market next year. Again it will be x86, all these console are glorified AMD PC's with GCN Mantle Vulkan OpenCL OpenGL Capable it seems the market is always wanting to get away from Microsoft as an office PC and gaming. We all hate the unreliability Microsoft has left us even in windows 7 they still botch updates, every windows OS has this major flaw in it and that is Microsoft. Greedy strong holding the market just like Intel does. Most of you don't know this but AMD and Intel use to be in collaboration for decades AMD was Intel's backup manufacturer of all their CPU chips until 1995 when AMD decided to venture on their own and IBM footed the bill for all of it really. I am curious when these new VPU's are going to hit the market for VR we are headed to having so many processors in our PC's good thing there is the node shrink to 14nm across the board this year. so we have Audio Processor AP, (APU) Accelerated Processor Unit, (GPU)Graphics Processing Unit, (CPU) Central Processing unit, and the new VPU, Visual Processing unit, So i ask you this where is the MPU Memory Processing Unit to Accelerate Memory even further. because DDR4 is an absolute joke uses more power and doesn't perform any better actually worse then ddr3's high end look at Tomshardware benchmarks DDR4 falls behind in every category. Not to mention why is Memory the only part on the motherboard that is getting bigger not smaller like the rest. Sure HBM is there but that is still limited and I am not sure how the OS can handle the HBM for every process ran threw the System instead of just games that it currently focus's on thanks to pioneer AMD.

You have a lot of faith  that games will  put Linux  on top. But the top gaming O/S windows  only  made $12.7 billion down 5%  all users.. Gaming  consoles brings in almost as much in the US $8.4 billion as  windows did period worldwide in the US alone.

http://www.statista.com/topics/868/video-games/

Linux  has a very low marketshare because no one makes many pre-installed pcs with it , a lot people didn't update it because AMD  drop support  for there drivers  now on older hardware . I like Linux but I dont believe it will ever be successful. GNU Linux  is free  it wont never be able  to compete with O/S  who does it for profit  its not really a competitor . all windows o/s XP-Windows 10 have more users on each one than they Linux have on all its distros  combined they never got past Vista yet  :P

The ONLY good and much needed feature of Win 10 is dx12.Oh i forgot they also added the "free upgrade" feature,

So what they accomplished? Hardly beating a 15 year old OS. Why?

Unified Poop Sack. .Now you can poop and sync it on the cloud.Compare it with others and ALSO ask for a third opinion.

User:Hey Cortana..how was my poop today?

Cortana:Looks like shit to me.

User:Thanks thats exactly what i needed.

Amazing where technology got us.:P

3 minutes ago, haxzion said:

The ONLY good and much needed feature of Win 10 is dx12.Oh i forgot they also added the "free upgrade" feature,

So what they accomplished? Hardly beating a 15 year old OS. Why?

Unified Poop Sack. .Now you can poop and sync it on the cloud.Compare it with others and ALSO ask for a third opinion.

User:Hey Cortana..how was my poop today?

Cortana:Looks like shit to me.

User:Thanks thats exactly what i needed.

Amazing where technology got us.:P

They was working on a open source  one for Linux http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898148/meet-sirius-the-open-source-siri-clone-that-runs-on-ubuntu.html

You could build you're  own even with jasper

http://jasperproject.github.io/documentation/configuration/#stt

But  everyone is too lazy too fool with Linux so they rather give there data and money to Apple and Microsoft  for pre installed ones ...

Gaming is VR and VR is going to change the world once all the quirks are out of it there are limitless ideas for VR and when that is so Computers will need enough GPU power to push them which is the PC gaming Industry along with Consoles they all have a dedicated GPU of one form or another on top of the CPU. when an APU comes out that is affordable for the masses that can run VR flawlessly then we have a true VR contender to be put in a little portable box. You will need a more reliable system in return the windows OS is stable but not stable enough and it is forever changing at a quarterly rate I don't know many people who like that idea. Linux doesn't change it's GUI every quarter and it is preferred in the server industry because of it's stability and I think that is far more appealing then the future of windows. With the world economy being controlled by .1% and doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon, so people will like a free OS any day when they are struggling to keep their houses and pay all their bills support them self let alone their families. Remember Windows 10 will go to its regular $200 plus price July.

54 minutes ago, D1v1n3D said:

Gaming is VR and VR is going to change the world once all the quirks are out of it there are limitless ideas for VR and when that is so Computers will need enough GPU power to push them which is the PC gaming Industry along with Consoles they all have a dedicated GPU of one form or another on top of the CPU. when an APU comes out that is affordable for the masses that can run VR flawlessly then we have a true VR contender to be put in a little portable box. You will need a more reliable system in return the windows OS is stable but not stable enough and it is forever changing at a quarterly rate I don't know many people who like that idea. Linux doesn't change it's GUI every quarter and it is preferred in the server industry because of it's stability and I think that is far more appealing then the future of windows. With the world economy being controlled by .1% and doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon, so people will like a free OS any day when they are struggling to keep their houses and pay all their bills support them self let alone their families. Remember Windows 10 will go to its regular $200 plus price July.

If you watch  this video here    the only cards  AMD  support  in newer versions of Linux would cost you 100s of dollars  as well . This guy   cant even get steam  to  load  on Ubuntu and says he  most likely will go back to windows    and he does Linux  post on YouTube

Ubuntu 16.04 Thoughts and AMD Rant 

At lest on Windows 10 , 8.1 , 7  you can find legacy drivers that allow hardware acceleration . i still have a version  of Linux  based on Ubuntu 14.04 on  my other computer but i pretty much lost interest in Linux  because my Intel machine with Windows  8.1 is  almost new  and i dont feel like buying a new PC or hardware  just to make  it work right on 16.04 .  PC sales have been on the decline  for years  and you think the masses are going  to go out  and pay money for high end cards  to use  the latest  tech on Linux witch AMD has not even made  really  still ?  I dont think so . Only thing Linux has going for it is it works good with old hardware  and if you use AMD  you're sol you will be stuck on 14.04 tell and if AMD ever fixes it  if you play games or do other things that you need hardware acceleration.  So you're  best bet s not to  buy AMD  if you use Linux

Archived