Tor and VPN users will be target of government hacks under new spying rule

Reefa

hZPmbZM.png

An update to the innocuous-sounding Rule 41 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure could soon grant powers to judges across the US to issue search warrants for law enforcement to remotely access devices that are using privacy tools.

The Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure sets the rules for criminal prosecutions and this change would see a sweeping expansion of law enforcement’s ability to engage in remote surveillance to gather evidence, with zero public debate on the new powers.

The Electronic Frontiers Foundation (EFF) says that Tor and VPN users, as well as people who reject location tracking by apps on their smartphone, could all be targeted for remote access, seizure or copying of data.

The new rule, which has just left the Supreme Court and is headed to Congress, could also end up targeting people who have been a victim of malware as it seeks to find the source of potentially harmful botnets.

Malicious actors may even be able to hijack the malware the government uses to infiltrate botnets, because the government often doesn’t design its malware securely. Government access to the computers of botnet victims also raises serious privacy concerns, as a wide range of sensitive, unrelated personal data could well be accessed during the investigation. This is a dangerous expansion of powers, and not something to be granted without any public debate on the topic.

Congress has until December 1 to strike down the amendment to the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, otherwise it’ll come into force across the federal court system.

The key word here is “procedural.” By law, the rules and proposals are supposed to be procedural and must not change substantive rights. But the amendment to Rule 41 isn’t procedural at all. It creates new avenues for government hacking that were never approved by Congress.

EFF says that this change could also affect people outside the US so they should be “equally concerned.”

Making such a huge change via a ‘small’ procedural amendment sidesteps both legislative and public scrutiny.

With Rule 41, little-known committee proposes to grant new hacking powers to the government on EFF

source

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tor will automatically put you on there radar because most ips are blacklisted for  people spreading malware on them . On a vpn  you will need too check the ip to make sure its not been  blacklisted . If its been blacklisted  its most likely FBI bait.

But remember the whole reason that this was passed was because they hacked 1000s of pcs on Tor and a judges said it could not stand up in court so they have been doing this for many years   They been trying slip these  changes into Rule 41 for years  and they waited tell  it was the best time to push it in there  this was not just made up last week..    :) 

Artclice  from 2014 about it.

FBI demands new powers to hack into computers and carry out surveillance

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/29/fbi-powers-hacking-computers-surveillance

PDF from 2014

https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/proposed-amendment-rule-41.pdf

Thanks for the extra info again mate just about to pm you a question?

You take there's over 1 million  people over  on Facebook using  Tor  spilling  there personal info all over the place and FBI is watching them all even the Node there using could be ran by the FBI If you live in the US you already spied on anyway.  If you want keep private the less personal info you put out there the less it is for them to get . Its like even if they searched my PC remote there's nothing on it that says who i am and i never use my real  full name on the internet . I learned  better than this long ago. Its the people who put  there info out there using Vpns and Tor who need to worry the most. I'm not going make it easy on them and stop using VPN . I'm  going make as hard  for them as I can even though i dont really do anything wrong  . They would love to see people stop using encryption then they all ready won just from putting stuff like this out in the press.

Unnecessary content removed..

Archived