Firewall question

rudrax

I have root permission on my android device and have AFWall+ firewall installed. I connect my laptop to internet by connecting the mobile data of my phone via Wi-fi. The firewall is configured by 'whitelist' rule meaning only checked items can access the Internet blocking all the uncheckd ones. 

So due to this policy, if I connect my mobile data through wi-fi to the laptop, laptop can't get access to the internet. But if I turn off the mobile firewall (afwall+), laptop can access the internet.

So is there any way to access the mobile Internet on my laptop via wi-fi without turning off the firewall? When the firewall is turned off, the background processes on android keeps using the data. I don't want to switch my firewall policy to 'blacklist' either as data leak is present there.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
straycat19

AFWall uses IPTables and Whitelists/Blacklists.  In order to get internet access for your laptop you will need to write some new rules for AFWall whitelisting those things that are required for the connection to be passed to the laptop.  If you don't know how to write the rules then you need to go on the support forum and ask the developers for assistance.  They have a large FAQ on github and good support for users with problems.

It is a known issue that AFWALL blocks WIFI tethering...

recommend  dont use it if use your phone as a wifi hotspot.. and setup a separate firewall app on your laptop instead..

46 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

It is a known issue that AFWALL blocks WIFI tethering...

recommend  dont use it if use your phone as a wifi hotspot.. and setup a separate firewall app on your laptop instead..

There is no other way available for me to use the internet. The data leak problem is on the mobile device not in the laptop. Can you suggest any other firewall for android which is as effective as afwall+ but won't block the wifi tethering? 

3 hours ago, rudrax said:

There is no other way available for me to use the internet. The data leak problem is on the mobile device not in the laptop. Can you suggest any other firewall for android which is as effective as afwall+ but won't block the wifi tethering? 

Try NetGuard, it's new great firewall, with tethering supported.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-netguard-root-firewall-t3233012

1 hour ago, mires said:

Try NetGuard, it's new great firewall, with tethering supported.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-netguard-root-firewall-t3233012

Looks like it doesn't require root access. It that case a question arises as how efficient is it? Does it use a VPN connection to filter the traffic like other *no root* firewalls? How does it work then? 

Look at attached image, you would need to whitelist   those 2 options to get internet working on your laptop.

Screenshot_2016-05-02-07-56-24.jpg

On 5/2/2016 at 5:29 PM, fire said:

Look at attached image, you would need to whitelist   those 2 options to get internet working on your laptop.

Screenshot_2016-05-02-07-56-24.jpg

Have allowed these two entries as suggested by you. On doing so, now only ESET can access the web but all other apps still can't connect to the web. I know this sounds weird but it's the truth. If I disable the afwall+ firewall, all apps in my laptop can access the web fine.

What about Android System,  is it whitelisted for mobile network? That's required too.

Also enable the logging service, and check the logs which connections/applications are getting blocked.

11 hours ago, fire said:

What about Android System,  is it whitelisted for mobile network? That's required too.

Also enable the logging service, and check the logs which connections/applications are getting blocked.

There is no such entry named "Android system" is present in the firewall list. And the logging gets disabled automatically after enabling it.

On 5/2/2016 at 6:48 AM, rudrax said:

Look for Avast (older version) 4.0.7884, it might be here in nsane's mobile apps section as well. Download it and install, It should work, i'm using it and has never face any issues accessing the NET on vice versa. Don't download, the new version of Avast from Google Play or other sites, as the new release has cut the firewall features.

On 5/4/2016 at 7:03 AM, rudrax said:

There is no such entry named "Android system" is present in the firewall list. And the logging gets disabled automatically after enabling it.

See the screenshot, Android System is part of a long list of System applications.

If you are using latest version of AFwall which is 2.2.3, then try clearing data for AFwall and start setting up the rules again. There were issues with latest version if you try to restore data from old version using titanium backup.

I'm using this version and it works perfectly fine for me.

Screenshot_2016-05-03-19-40-25.jpg

Archived