James Cameron will make four more Avatar movies

Reefa

LMtrtDp.jpg

This week, film director James Cameron announced that he will be making four sequels to his 2009 box-office smash Avatar.

Following in the hallowed footsteps of other filmmakers who sought to unnecessarily increase the number of installments that a story really needs, Cameron decided to go big. "He first envisioned two sequels,” Variety reported. "But after meeting with a team of four screenwriters and a group of 'some of the top artists and designers in the world,' he realized that he had way too much material for just two films.” Clearly, no one has told the great filmmakers of our day about killing your darlings.

The original Avatar still holds the record for all-time worldwide box office sales. It follows a human’s attempt to infiltrate an alien civilization known as the Na’vi by adopting a Na’vi body. The Na'vi populate the planet of Pandora, which contains a precious metal that Earth-dwellers want to mine. Instead of learning how to manipulate the Na’vi into giving the humans a pass to mine the planet, the main character develops sympathies for the Na’vi, and therein lies the friction.

Although the storyline was on the trite side, Avatar at least had world-class graphics and effects, as befitting a James Cameron film. The film is also credited with ushering in an era in which big-budget films need a 3D version in addition to the 2D version.

The sequels will have a tight schedule, too—after 2018’s film, the following films will be released in December 2020, 2022, and 2023, according to Variety.

source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you analise "Avatar", it's not really a SciFi movie but a "modern" WESTERN! Nothing original but the age old fight of native Indians against the "white" men, the U.S. Cavalry talking like some Marine Corps, trying to take over native homeland to use it's natural resources, be it gold, carbon or oil. Once you get the "message" it gets boring, just an FX movie.

Please, Mr Cameron, give us no more from this stuff

Avatar was meh. The graphics were too smooth, computer-like and the plot was a straight out western rescue as luisam says.

• 4 weeks later...

lol. Seriously, who wants more Avatar anyway?

One was far more than enough.

22 hours ago, jordan4x said:

James cameron did a great job in new filming techniques though.

Yeah. He did....but the story itself, and the hype around the film was pretty terrible to endure.

• 1 month later...

I liked Avatar and its been 7 years so yeah I wouldnt mind seeing a new Avatar movie.

Airstream_Bill

Honestly that Movie did nothing for me.  Just reminded me of some Walt Disney stuff.  I even tried to watch it a second time to make sure I was not missing something.  I did not.

And if the 2nd (or even the 3rd) tanks at the box office, then what?  It's really too bad Cameron has chained himself to one property for the reminder of his life. In his position and with his talents, I'd have wanted to parlay great successes into a variety of projects, more like Kubrick did (his films are radically different from one another).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2016 at 11:11 AM, jordan4x said:

James cameron did a great job in new filming techniques though.

He did...but I also feel that a lot of what made Avatar 'groundbreaking' in production tactics was very very quickly overshadowed by even more new things...unlike say The Matrix (or even going back to other historical markers like Road Warrior) -that still retain a certain sense of the impossible. 

At least for me, I don't see that kind of ...hmmm 'movie magic (?)' legacy when I revisit Avatar...it just feels like a CGI love fest rather than a real showcase of what made those face tracking and animation breakthroughs so valid and valuable. 

• 1 month later...

Archived