Do you know any good sources for LOSSLESS AUDIO ? Post them here, please.

mona

Got high quality  audiophile headphones  as a Birthday present just a few days ago.

Plugged them in .... only to learn that my huge music collection (mainly in mp3 format) can't be played on them.  These cans are simply too good for heavily compressed mp3 files.

I'll have to use lossless formats like FLAC or WMA lossless from now on.  But at this moment have very few CD rips of this kind. Seems like I need to start collecting my music almost from scratch.

......................................................................................................

And here comes my request :

Are you aware of any good sources for downloading any kind of music (all genres including classical music) ?   Post them in this thread, please.

I would appreciate just links to the sites with music, as well as links to particular album downloads.

However one limitation applies here :  they have to be in one of  lossless formats  (FLAC / WMA).

Thank you in advance.   :)

MODS : If  by chance you think this topic will better fit in DOWNLOAD section  -  please, feel free to move it there.  I wasn't sure.

• Replies 23
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Crazycanuk said:

If you have a big collection would it not be easier to change MP3 files to FLAC using a converter? there are many different MP3 to Flac converters out there, some free online ones also. FLAC files are alot bigger than MP3  so much more disc space is required.

Crazy, you  probably missed the point.  If I convert from mp3 to FLAC ,  all previously lost data (during mp3 compression)  won't be back and files - even with .flac extension - will still maintain their shitty quality.

I need music properly ripped DIRECTLY to FLAC / WMA lossless.  Ripped files have to contain 100% data of the original.

whatever you do; make sure you look for EAC accurate rips with cue + log!

The best forum is WhatCD but you can only get in by invite from an existing member

2 minutes ago, Skunk1966 said:

whatever you do; make sure you look for EAC accurate rips with cue + log!

The best forum is WhatCD but you can only get in by invite from an existing member

Thanks  @Skunk1966 for the info.

Looks like entering "audiophile world" won't be easy.  ;)

"EAC accurate rips" ? Not sure what that means, but gonna work hard and find out soon.

BTW  Aren't YOU a member there (on WhatCD) ?

I Recently Discovered RuTracker..And it Became My Favorite Source for Music Ever Since  

26 minutes ago, mona said:

Thanks  @Skunk1966 for the info.

Looks like entering "audiophile world" won't be easy.  ;)

"EAC accurate rips" ? Not sure what that means, but gonna work hard and find out soon.

BTW  Aren't YOU a member there (on WhatCD) ?

EAC= Exact Audio Copy ( http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/ )

Accurate rip is exactly what it says: 1 on 1 perfect rip

True; I'm a member there but unfortunately I don't have any invites left at the moment.

If you want to learn more about EAC and you need a tutorial for configuring the program so you can create perfect rips  that pass any logfile checker let me know. I wrote a tutorial years ago

1 hour ago, mona said:

Got high quality  audiophile headphones  as a Birthday present just a few days ago.

Plugged them in .... only to learn that my huge music collection (mainly in mp3 format) can't be played on them.  These cans are simply too good for heavily compressed mp3 files.

I'll have to use lossless formats like FLAC or WMA lossless from now on.  But at this moment have very few CD rips of this kind. Seems like I need to start collecting my music almost from scratch.

......................................................................................................

And here comes my request :

Are you aware of any good sources for downloading any kind of music (all genres including classical music) ?   Post them in this thread, please.

I would appreciate just links to the sites with music, as well as links to particular album downloads.

However one limitation applies here :  they have to be in one of  lossless formats  (FLAC / WMA).

Thank you in advance.   :)

MODS : If  by chance you think this topic will better fit in DOWNLOAD section  -  please, feel free to move it there.  I wasn't sure.

I don't think it is your headphones, since I have a pair of  Sennheiser HD800 Over-Ear Circum-Aural Dynamic Premiere Headphone ($1200) and they work fine playing MP3s using Foobar2000.  I also have a cheap set of Dr Dre BEATS ($400) and they work fine also.  FLAC sounds better but they will play MP3s since the headphones can't tell the difference between an MP3 and a FLAC file and it is only the output quality of the soundcard and software that matters.

it is only the output quality of the soundcard and software that matters

EAC + perfect setup is the main thing for producing perfect quality

the better the soundcard and player the more you can enjoy your perfect rips

1 hour ago, Xionic said:

I Recently Discovered RuTracker..And it Became My Favorite Source for Music Ever Since  

True. RuTracker is really good.  @bolo33  has mentioned it already above.

1 hour ago, Chatman said:

qanks20.png?1

When I needed good stuff, I'm looking on this website:http://hdclub.org/

If you don't understand Russian, click the button for English.WO9XNuf.png?1

But  HDclub.org  is a new place for me.  

I can manage with Russian somehow, I  guess.  Great thanks,  @Chatman .

1 hour ago, Skunk1966 said:

True; I'm a member there but unfortunately I don't have any invites left at the moment.

If you want to learn more about EAC and you need a tutorial for configuring the program so you can create perfect rips  that pass any logfile checker let me know. I wrote a tutorial years ago

......     Then remember about me and reserve one invitation for me, when you have them.   :P

Sure I want / need  to learn everything related to hi-fi stuff.  So if your tutorial is ready - please send it  to me by PM or post the link here if you prefer.

Hey  @Skunk1966  are you audio hardware expert too ?  I need some advice regarding amplifier - whether I need one or not and which one ?

My music source is my desktop computer with dedicated music card : ASUS Xonar D2.

My loudspeakers are old and shitty, so I don't even mention them.  New headphones are Beyerdynamic DT 860 . Their sound characteristics is described on the linked page (scroll down the page).

I've read that the best method of learning whether an additional  amplifier would make any good  to the sound quality is just experimenting.

That's why I'm waiting for one amp. (HOLDEGRON AUDIO FMB v.2) to be sent to me for tests.

But in the meanwhile - any hardware suggestions would be appreciated, since I'm quite new in "audio world".

......     Then remember about me and reserve one invitation for me, when you have them.   :P

Sure I want / need  to learn everything related to hi-fi stuff.  So if your tutorial is ready - please send it  to me by PM or post the link here if you prefer.

EAC tutorial:
Site: https://mega.nz
Sharecode[?]: /#!MJ03RJab!Q8Y6ljvWwXTUmA0CAODr5ThFYYJ_p5He0c1jG2dz_DM

......     Then remember about me and reserve one invitation for me, when you have them.

I can't promise anything because it could take some time before I get a new invite to share (but I'll keep you in mind)

I'm not really an audio hardware expert but there are lots of sources to find on the web

5 minutes ago, Joe13 said:

Head-Fi.org is the web's headquarters for discussing (and reading about) high-end personal audio and headphones. Whether you're looking to find new earphones or earbuds to completely transform your iPod (or other MP3 player), or for a full-blown multi-thousand dollar desktop headphone rig, Head-Fi is where to go.

Thanks, Joe.  However my cans aren't by any means hi-end.  They are just good quality middle range ("main-stream") product.

The snobbish, really hi-end audio equipment is insanely and ridiculously expensive. 

37 minutes ago, mona said:

The snobbish, really hi-end audio equipment is insanely and ridiculously expensive. 

Example :

2 x  Equilibrium Sun Ray cables (3meters long)  for  connecting loudspeakers   -   USED !!!  -  have been offered for sale on the Polish bidding portal (ALLEGRO) a few days ago :             price  -   3000.00 PLN   --->   roughly  1000 CAD (Canadian dollars)                 Isn't it a bit crazy ?        :s

http://allegro.pl/equilibrium-sun-ray-2-3m-wtyki-banan-i6034840821.html

IWlMT5Y.jpg

The cans are as they meant to be.

I wanted headphones for HOME USE exclusively (I even work from home). As they are meant to be used continuously for many hours daily, they need to be comfortable. Open backs are more "easy going" for ears, since they allow fresh air in, avoiding perspiration.

Besides open backs have also one very important advantage in terms of their sound characteristics : they usually have much wider scene and the sound is more natural than in close backs.

Downside ? Yes, their basses are not so strong as in close back headphones. But here is where PROPERLY CHOSEN (IMPORTANT !!!) amplifier is coming into play.

The right amplifier in this case should have a bit "darker" sound characteristics in order to correct basses in certain kind of music - if necessary.   

But let's stick to the main subject of this topic : 

I'm still expecting links to excellent quality rips with music of all kinds being posted here.  :D:P:stereo:

Have you downloaded something interesting recently ?  Is the quality really great (not converted from mp3 to flac) ?

Please, share your finds here !

1 hour ago, gipsy said:

@mona,if u started "to fight" for a sound quality-buy a soundcard! first+good headphones after.

try (as a variant)

imo it's not for everybody,friend of mine is damn audiophil-hv much of not cheap stuff (approx 20 kilobucks) &  listenin' jazz only.isn't mine,

i luv music,so do not care indeed flac,wav or mp3 music format is,for me it's just an emotions which depend of my own mood.

i'm usin' Technics RP-DJ1210 indoor , JVC explosives (for laptop) & AKG 416 outdoor .

1./  I've been using a sound card for a few years now. It's  ASUS Xonar D2.

I mentioned my hardware here.

2./  Got Beyerdynamics as a Birthday present, couple days ago - so won't change them.

3./  I haven't cared for audio files format until recently. But my old loudspeakers have been giving a lot of noise lately, so I started looking for some new gear.   Then  got Beyerdynamics and found that my old good mp3 files sound terrible when using new cans, worse than on old shitty loudspeakers (it's quite understandable).  This way I've no choice - I'm forced to switch to lossless formats.  It wasn't planned by me in advance.

@gipsy   I generally agree with you that emotions are, what finally counts the most in music / in all kinds of art.    :)

4 minutes ago, gipsy said:

Beyerdynamic DT 860 is very specific one,will  pretty hard to get good sound with any format,

Why do you think so ?  In what way are they specific ?  Users' opinions are almost 100% positive as far as sound characteristic and quality is concerned.

Some people are complaining they are not enough comfortable though.

Sure, closed back headphones gonna sound differently, but I chose open ones for the reason :

1. much wider scene and more "airy" sound (excellent in ambient relaxing music, that I like)

2. open back cans are more comfortable in continuous long time use (my old loudspeakers are almost dead, so headphones are the only choice, and for ALL computer needs).

3.  potential bass deficit that is often a problem in open cans can be balanced by the right amplifier.

Closed back headphones are definitely better choice if you are a basshead. But I'm not.   :P

• 5 months later...

Archived