I'm Back (Reintroduction)

Avitar

Hey there everyone. Some of you know me, some of you knew me and some of you may have forgotten me. I've been AFK for about 6 months, so lemme explain why.

Apparently a variant of the CryptoLocker virus found its way onto my system. However it couldn't install its bootloader nor could it mess up my MBR.. so it did the next best thing: It corrupted and encrypted my Hard Drive. This meant that YEARS and GIGABYTES of software, cracks, music, movies, games and hacking tools were all LOST. It's a shame on me because I only partially backed up my documents not the entire drive. As such, I didn't have to start over from scratch and I've restored an old backup of my system... but most of what I had was lost. In my recovery attempts, I had to wipe EVERYTHING to get the virus out. However when flashing my BIOS, as if by an act of fate.. the electricity went and I didn't realize the battery wasn't in the laptop >.< Yes folks, I corrupted my BIOS and had to get a new motherboard.

After the laptop went down, i took a break  from everything digital. No more online games, no more extended hours on the internet and no more coding/reverse engineering. The biggest hacks and OPs went down and I was just MIA the whole time. In this time of digital rehab... however... I found life. I had no laptop and nothing, save my Samsung Galaxy s4 to keep my facebook and emails active... so i went outside and sat for a few hours looking at the world. There's a whole amazing world out there outside the digital realm. There are places to go, people to meet, the good and the bad experiences in life, the joys of building something and the despair of loss. In these last 6 months my eyes were opened. I met some interesting people and started being a regular guy, working a normal job. I visited other countries and learned new things, saw new places and learned a new language (Spanish). I found a place to live on my own and as fate would have it, the sweetest and most innocent girl ever just walked up to me one day and hugged me... and told me that I was hers now ^_^ She's a lot younger than me, and haven't made the mistakes I did. I guess she reminded me a little of myself, that's why i kept her. At this age however, the puppy love that teenagers feel, somehow you learn to see beyond that... and realize that true love is sacrifice, trust and hard work to commitment. It's not as easy as we once dreamed it to be.

In 6 short months, my life changed. Being away from a laptop for this time changed me into a normal person. Coming back to the digital realm, I see the forums have changed,  there's a new Operating system (WIN 10), all my drivers are outdated, all my software have new version, all my online games have changed so much (looking at you League of Legends and Clash of Clans). I now feel like a stranger to the online world. My interests have changed, although my love for technology and software remains the same. So here I am, writing an unnecessarily long post sharing my thoughts and my confusion with you, my beloved community. After being away from the online world so long I feel like a stranger. Where do I start? What do I do first? 

Or should I embrace the inevitability... that I've grown up :( 

Are there any members over 24 years old on these forums? How do you stop yourself from growing up and outgrowing the games and silly things you once loved? How do you keep your inner child alive... and safe from the mental burdens of adulthood?... 

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welll..  Now that I've cleared the tears of laughter from my eyes, I've decided to leave you this personal "Welcome Back"....  I'm not laughing at your unfortunate encounter with a virus, (I personally would like to hang virus writers and senders by their heals and torch their privates with a flame thrower), but laughing at your age reference...  Just to let you know, you're not alone, and probably not the oldest one out here. I personally am nearly 3 times the average age.  I'm willing to share the secret of the eternal computer geek age lock.  So lean in close and read on....   All you need is a little dose of Tinkerbell's Fairy dust.....   No.!!. Wait...!!!  That's not right...  That's supposed to make you fly....  Oh hell...!!!!  Now what was that anti-aging/eternal youth secret....?????  Damn, at my age, CRS has kicked in and I can't remember.... Sorry.....  ;)

2Old2Remember

@Avitar.  Welcome back man. I wish i would get a girl like you did.  ...Just walk up to me and hug me and tell me that I'm theirs. :) ...but then again that might creep me out and I might totally ignore her.

.,anyways, embrace your growth and try to enrich someone else life with what you've learned. Your experience was a refreshing read.

6 hours ago, Avitar said:

Are there any members over 24 years old on these forums? How do you stop yourself from growing up and outgrowing the games and silly things you once loved? How do you keep your inner child alive... and safe from the mental burdens of adulthood?... 

I'm a few years over 24 (OK, I'm a few years over 34... OK, I'll be 40 next month) and the answer to your question is "kids".  I'm not saying you and your charming young lady should immediately get hitched and have your own, other people's will do.  By mid-20s, odds are someone in your family or circle of friends AFK either has already or will soon decide to have kids.  Congratulations!  You are now Uncle Avitar.  You now have a smaller person to instruct and share in the ways of The Force and why Han Shot First, of The Doctor and the TARDIS, of OS installations and Linux distros, and so much more.  The beauty of being Uncle Avitar is you're only there for the fun stuff.  The actual parenting is still up to mum&dad. 

Im newer then some when it goes to these forums. Im holmes (like you couldnt tell lawls) nice to meet you and very interesting story Im happy you have grown up and got a girl and life is looking good for you.  Im thirty three years old Ill be thirty four november twentieth and I have grown up some not done (I hope Im five six and a half tall I know Im a short son of a gun) and I know talking about maturity my maturity not as good as it is supposed to be better then I thought I would be at this age.  I have no kids (I want kids some day) and I myself am looking for that girl for me to.  Im happy you got the girl for you not everyone is that lucky.  As for the cryptolocker virus good news now is there are some ransomwares that have decryption tools cryptolocker is one unfortunately the site appears to be down right now:

www.decryptcryptolocker.com

Security firms and government agencies took it down during operation tovar.  Im sorry you got the virus and happy you got some of your files back.  As for the bios hahahaha not laughing at you just funny I made similiar mistakes in the past now I look back and laugh.  Welcome back to nsane website and forums.

Me alegra que hayas aprendido español, no es tan difícil, ¿verdad? :D

And I'm glad you had found someone special in your life. All we need unplug ourselves sometimes to re-discover the world and its beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your warm words. 

But does anyone know how to edit your signature? Like that long image i have as mine and i don't know where to go to wrap it in a spoiler tag... :unsure:

18 minutes ago, Crazycanuk said:

i'm good at removals 56a15acc8cc76_biggrin.gif.69a37abe303eb8 i got myself a special button for this..   Both%20Thumbs%20up_zpscspgwilv.gif  ...let me know if i can help

hahah not removal buddy... need to edit the signature to wrap the image in a spoiler tag... How do you edit your signature? anyone knows?

Hi and welcome back (i guess i arrived after you left as i don't remember you, but hope to have some fun with you now back :D)

38 minutes ago, Avitar said:

hahah not removal buddy... need to edit the signature to wrap the image in a spoiler tag... How do you edit your signature? anyone knows?

About the question, here you have the answer

2016-03-03_212341.thumb.png.860ee98e8ea5

On 3/3/2016 at 3:25 PM, asf said:

Success!! Now what's funny is that your signature can contain HTML and obeys formatting rules.. you can literally attach a site or make your signature a webpage...

Archived