What a Modern Version of Windows 10’s File Explorer Could Look Like

Batu69

Concept designer envisions new version of File Explorer

1XdeVql.jpg

This is what File Explorer looks like in Windows 10

File Explorer is one of the default apps that received only small changes in Windows 10, despite the avalanche of feature requests coming from users participating in the Insider program.

But while Microsoft doesn’t seem to be very keen on overhauling File Explorer, concept designers across the world put their imagination to work and create modern versions of the app that could help the company figure out what its file manager should look like.

This is the case of this concept created by DeviantArt user Steppiman89, who designed his own interpretation of the classic File Explorer.

With such a design, File Explorer can easily become a universal app and be available not only on PCs but also on smartphones powered by Windows 10 Mobile, although there still are some things to be improved here and there.

No tab support?

At first glance, the concept looks brilliant, and there’s no doubt that many Windows 10 users would love to have such a file manager in their OS. There’s one big problem, though: this design lacks the biggest feature request for File Explorer - tab support.

At this point, tab support in File Explorer is the number one request in the Windows 10 Feedback app with thousands of votes, but Microsoft remains tight-lipped on pretty much everything regarding this feature and refuses to say even if there’s the slightest chance to get it at some point in the future.

“It’s 2016 and we still have to open more than one File Explore in a new window. We really do need tabbed browsing on here, as it would make most users’ lives so much easier to manage their files,” such a request reads.

But in the end, this concept surely looks great and brings forward some ideas that could easily be used by Microsoft for an overhaul of File Explorer. If only such an overhaul were planned…

Article source

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh, all he did was to extend the accent color to the ribbon. that can "easily" be achieved with a theme.

the rest of the icons...yeah, well, that would be more difficult, but wouldn't make much of a difference.

after all, it is only a mockup.

51 minutes ago, davmil said:

Yuck.

Can you show/design your no 'yuck'? Please.

Or if you can not design anything, please show your no 'yuck' taste come from.

I like to know/see your no 'yuck'.

12 hours ago, Batu69 said:

Can you show/design your no 'yuck'? Please.

Or if you can not design anything, please show your no 'yuck' taste come from.

I like to know/see your no 'yuck'.

OK, I'll keep my opinion to myself in the future as I evidently don't have rights to express it here.  I can't do better but I know what I like.

coromonadalix
13 hours ago, software182 said:

File Explorer + Clover Tab = ^_^

File Explorer + no tab = :thumbsdown: 

Directory Opus : :rockon: 

xyplorer, explorer ++ 

There are more better alternative than the explorer crap in windows,  for me i simply hate tabs in any software they have produced,  it began with office  ...   had to put  classic menus ...  ubit menu  etc .... simply wasn't productive for me,  and lastly i moved to open office.

If i want a list view, i want it that way, and stay that way, nothing else,  but micro$oft has never done somthing simple that work without battling over settings, group policy  etc ....  simplicity and efficiency are not in their vocabulaire.

I

13 hours ago, software182 said:

Erick_Smile17

You should look DOPUS combine with XYplorer plus M$ File Explorer. I like XYplorer's folder tree combine with DOPUS's Dual Horizontal and Viewer Pane.

But File Explorer is very good looking on menus. It's more efficient to combine 3 File Manager there than making more tabs. 

Archived