Microsoft promises to implement full Windows 10 data tracking controls

Petrovic

Microsoft informed Forbes recently that it plans to release updates later this year that puts users of the company's new operating system Windows 10 in full control over data sharing and telemetry, if they so desire.

Microsoft has been criticized heavily on many tech sites and forums on the Internet for how it handles privacy in Windows 10.

While it makes available preferences to turn off some features that users may find privacy-invasive, no version of Windows 10 ships with a full turn-off option to disable all data tracking and telemetry.

Even tools designed to turn off these invasive features are not blocking connections to Microsoft server completely.

Microsoft told Forbes recently that it will implement those controls this year. While it did not mention exactly how it plans to do so, it appears that there will be an option to turn of data tracking and telemetry completely according to Forbes.

In the worst case scenario, it will simply enable the Windows 10 Enterprise only option to turn off Telemetry completely.

Provided that the changes will indeed plug any data connections to Microsoft that are not required to run the operating system, like Windows Update checks if the operating system is configured to make those, it could convince opponents of Windows 10 to give the operating system a try.

It is likely that the defaults won't change, and that Microsoft will implement new controls to turn off data collecting much like it provides options currently to reduce the telemetry data that is collected and shared by the Windows 10 operating system.

It is a win for consumers and a surprising change of events. While we don't know why Microsoft made the decision to implement these controls, it is likely the bad publicity that it received ever since the first public release of Windows 10 in regards to the operating system's privacy-invasive features that made it realize that it may be better to implement these controls.

If you check comments here on Ghacks in regards to Windows 10 for instance, you will notice that the majority of negative comments is about the operating system's data hunger and the lack of options to block the collection and transfer of these data sets.

Article source

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jamesDDI said:

we believe it? :rolleyes:

I trust Microsoft about as far as I could throw Nadella's chair... with Steve Balmer sitting in it... and Bill Gates on his lap... holding his entire fortune in gold... and wearing really heavy glasses. :)

Knowing Microsoft's fondness for lying not telling the entire truth, users will have full control over all privacy settings, except the ones they won't.

3 minutes ago, Karlston said:

users will have full control over all privacy settings, except the ones they won't.

;)

20 minutes ago, jamesDDI said:

we believe it? :rolleyes:

Its reason enough to test windows 10 again  if they really  do this lol . It may be so since there going to try to  sell it  in July   sounds about like them to remove it when the stop giving it for free . .

58 minutes ago, Karlston said:

I trust Microsoft about as far as I could throw Nadella's chair... with Steve Balmer sitting in it... and Bill Gates on his lap... holding his entire fortune in gold... and wearing really heavy glasses. :)

Knowing Microsoft's fondness for lying not telling the entire truth, users will have full control over all privacy settings, except the ones they won't.

After I read  more about this seems forbes just posting old  news over and over .. they posted  it before  and this wont help Home  or Pro users no way you will still to block it yourself it  only will be for Enterprise .

Interestingly Belfiore himself won’t be around to oversee this as he is about to take a year long sabbatical. When he comes back, however, I suspect this issue will still be raging as Windows and Devices Group head Terry Myerson recently confirmed Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to disable every single aspect of Microsoft data collection.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#40345db32f4a

they already said this before in NOV 2015 . it will only help big business  out . it wont help small business out or home users out so my opinion windows 10 remains the same  .   A person cant buy  Enterprise only it helps out pirates  and big business. I dont pirate windows so this of no value too me .

1 hour ago, Karlston said:

This gave me a good laugh. I appreciate that!

I'm so tired  of reading the same old  Windows 10 rubbish  im about ready to going join a Linux forum  and do like the rest of the smart people there and act as windows dont exist lol.  Maybe check back in June  when its not a free giveaway. :) 

As many sites that have talked sh*t about microsoft they can read these tech sites to maybe there starting to say fine we are going to give you full control it would be the smart and responsible move on microsofts part.  When they release the full controls if they do Im sure there going to have all the data needed and they can chance users shutting there tracking and telemetry off.

6 hours ago, Petrovic said:

Microsoft informed Forbes recently that it plans to release updates later this year that puts users of the company's new operating system Windows 10 in full control over data sharing and telemetry, if they so desire.

And who knows in another update, the full control will be "fine-tuned" to include new loopholes? Is this how you do privacy, Microsoft?

At this point in development (e.g. =released) and with so many add-ins & "apps", I'm not confident they have much of a handle on how badly it's leaking.  Given sharing data and other telemetry were built-in,  it's going to be as tough as securing it to close all the holes even assuming they wanted to do so.

Microsoft will give you as much control as they want, basically they can give you control over everything but not all of everything.

They will give you a poop covered in Air Wick, it's still poop but smells differently.

8 hours ago, davmil said:

At this point in development (e.g. =released) and with so many add-ins & "apps", I'm not confident they have much of a handle on how badly it's leaking.

I would hate for my computer to become as porous as an Android cellphone.

This article is  missleading it says Microsoft promises to implement full Windows 10 data tracking controls

Microsoft never promised  this ,  they only promised  to implement full Windows 10 Enterprise data tracking controls.

And  Forbes  had already posted Microsoft  planed to do  this in Nov 2015  .

50 minutes ago, snatale42 said:

And that's why I run Linux!

Me too

jDlJMog.png

But im not a Linux teetotaler yet.. Most likely by the time updates run out for windows 8.1  2023   i most likely  will be though if Microsoft  dont come too there senses . :)

Apparently this has been debunked, it isn't happening...

Microsoft has no plans to change Windows 10 consumer privacy settings

"(Microsoft) Executives believe that existing privacy controls are reasonable for consumers and there's no need for a drastic change."

In other words (bold text added by me)...

"(Microsoft) Executives believe that existing privacy controls are reasonable intentionally difficult to locate for consumers and there's no need for a drastic change that would give consumers easier control of Microsoft's rampant data mining."

All guessing and predictions (could be good guessing and good predictions).  As gullable as I have been in the past Im not making the same mistakes again Im keeping a open mind.  Not saying these guesses or predictions are wrong or right Im just saying Im staying open minded I have seen to many times where someone said I told you so trying to fix that.  Ill standby and see if microsoft pull what some women do change there mind then change there mind again then change there mind again lawls.  I can say if this post is right Im not going to be happy not happy at all.

Archived