Microsoft Says Windows 10 Can Block Anyone from Spying on Governments

Batu69

Redmond bets big on government adoption of Windows 10

In addition to consumers, who are currently under strong pressure from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10, the Redmond-based software giant is also targeting governments around the world with its new operating system.

In a new post today, Microsoft’s Mandy Tidwell, Windows Technology Solution Professional, State & Local Government, explains that Windows 10 offers a very advanced security system to governments, citing the modern approach to user identity, the enhanced protection against malware, and the simplified spyware detection and removal as the main capabilities.

“Windows 10 has been designed to address security threats in a world of escalating risks. As we were building Windows 10, security was a prime focus. And we’ve incorporated several innovative technologies into our new operating system to protect governments against both current and future threats,” Tidwell explains in a post today.

“Windows 10 is our best Windows yet, and the security it provides is no exception. As governments work to keep their information safe, Windows 10 is right there beside them, helping to protect them against the most nefarious threats.”

Russia and China beg to differ

Interestingly, Microsoft’s post on government security comes only a day after news regarding Russia’s initiative to move to Linux made the headlines.

Russian President Vladimir Putin’s new Internet advisor is reportedly planning to push the transition off Windows and move municipal governments to Linux, as they want to have full control of the technologies in use and block any hacking attempts that might be started by overseas states through Microsoft software.

Last year, China decided to ban Windows 8 on government computers, in a similar attempt to switch to Linux. Local officials were said to push for Linux adoption in several state departments, as Windows 8 was believed to be a threat to national security because the United States could have used it to steal documents and country’s secrets.

Right now, Microsoft is trying to fight all this criticism and prove everyone that Windows 10 is the more secure option available right now, and its transparency centers are playing a key role in this. It remains to be seen, however, if this can stop the transition of governments to Linux.

Article source

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Batu69 said:

Last year, China decided to ban Windows 8 on government computers, in a similar attempt to switch to Linux. Local officials were said to push for Linux adoption in several state departments, as Windows 8 was believed to be a threat to national security because the United States could have used it to steal documents and country’s secrets.

this was windows 8 not windows 10 . China has a Microsoft plaint and Microsoft is making a custom version of Windows 10 for the China Government.

Microsoft aims to supply Chinese government with customized Windows 10

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/17/10362638/microsoft-windows-10-custom-china-government

The Russian government are not on good ties with the USA   with trade like China.. they have no plaints from the USA there so the only option  they have is to use the USA mainstream version or make there own computers.

"Microsoft Says Windows 10 Can Block Anyone from Spying on Governments"

It's supposed to be the other way around, morons! 

Munich Germany city government went to Linux several years ago, not for security mainly, but to save millions of marks in software costs.

MS lost a lot of ground with Win 8 and they keep loosing with Win 10.

People with some basic knowledge on computers can easily realize how 

messed up full of spyware bloatware junkware bullshitware Win10 is.  

I have a dream.....to use linux as my main OS some day :) 

13 hours ago, jtmulc said:

"Microsoft Says Windows 10 Can Block Anyone from Spying on Governments"

It's supposed to be the other way around, morons! 

Supposed to be. But unfortunately, that's the way it is.

Very hard to spy on anyone if everything you do is monitored, logged and reported.

Which is why most blackhats use Linux.

5 hours ago, haxzion said:

I have a dream.....to use linux as my main OS some day :) 

I dream about a User-Friendly version of Linux...:beg:

4 hours ago, pc71520 said:

I dream about a User-Friendly version of Linux...:beg:

Ubuntu :)

Lol  Windows 10 Can Block anything it wants  here is the latest report i read of it blocking legitimate  apps

Windows 10 now blocking IrfanView

IrfanView is a great photo software I've been using for years. I kept getting messages this morning that it "caused a problem" and was resetting all my defaults back to their crappy Photos. Tried resetting it but kept giving the same problems.

So I saw there's a newer version, went to install it but Windows is blocking saying an admin had blocked me from running this ap (I'M THE ONLY ADMIN ON THIS PC). I tried running as admin but the same red x error with 'publisher not trusted' in bold. Antivirus is saying it's clean, there doesn't seem to be a way to get around this hard stop. Any way to install the programs I actually want?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/45g44o/windows_10_now_blocking_irfanview/

Here's the  workaround  to use all the legacy  apps it blocks.

http://www.howtogeek.com/230063/how-to-circumvent-this-app-has-been-blocked-for-your-protection-to-install-apps-in-windows-10/

This is the very reason I stopped  using it it requires a workaround for just about everything  unless you're just dont care they collect data  , block apps etc . Most time consuming  O/S  i ever set up  and i been installing O/S  for 15 years.

I bet once they get the majorly  of the world on windows 10 in like 2018 or 2019  next thing they do is ban legacy  apps and make you use only windows apps there trying too phase out legacy  apps all together  .

36 minutes ago, pc71520 said:

Never again...;)

I you're going be closed minded  about Linux best to stay with windows ..I had no trouble  learning  Ubuntu and its derivatives its just as easy for me to use as windows once i put the stuff i like in it.

You can pay for a class or basically  everything you need to know can be Googled or if you ask the right way the people  on the Linux  forums  will help you  .

Most Windows users  expect Linux to be like Windows the 1st thing you learn Linux is not windows or will it ever be . Windows have to many patients for it to be very much like it. :)

It is not being open/close-minded.

It was impossible to find the appropriate drivers that

support various peripheral devices:

1) The App showing how much Ink is in my Printer was Not working under Linux.

2) My cell-Phone software Updates, transfer files etc.

was Not functional under Linux

compared with the programs offered by Windows.

Last, the "elitist" attitude of most 'Linux Forums' experts

was very discouraging.

Am I the only one,

who went back to Windows,

after trying Linux? Hell, no!

After trying Linux, I learned the hard way

why 'more than 90% of PC users run Windows'...

1 hour ago, pc71520 said:

After trying Linux, I learned the hard way

why 'more than 90% of PC users run Windows'...

The reason 90% of the world runs windows is because Microsoft owns most all the contracts for business and pc vendors   , hardware vendors and even proprietary software devolpers there in it to make a profit  .GNU Linux  is free .  If they can ever figure  out how to sell stuff  on it then it would grow.

It was impossible to find the appropriate drivers that

support various peripheral devices:

Alot people have the problem with windows that's why some people still use XP  .

2) My cell-Phone software Updates, transfer files etc.

was Not functional under Linux

compared with the programs offered by Windows.

This why i have 3 computers   if i need windows for a task I cant do on Linux I just turn on my windows pc.  This goes back to  more developers  make stuff for windows because its driven by profit .

Last, the "elitist" attitude of most 'Linux Forums' experts

was very discouraging.

What do you expect from a bunch of  people who give you help for free ? Only reason paid ITs  dont act like this  is because they are getting paid and the costumer  is always right , money talks , but there taught  that there clients  dont know jack  but really i know more  than some who went to school  for years for it  . :)

Just now, dac said:

Linux has a long way to go before attracting very many users.

Wish they would step it up and give Windows a run for it.

Its never going happen dac . The only brand of Linux that's going give windows a run for its money already is doing it  . Its called android ..because phones can do what many  people need ..people are about portability now days . By 2020  most people left on pcs will be off in the Cloud with Windows 10  Hybird/Clould PCs the only people that will be left on traditional desktops  will be the Linux community. I dont use Linux  because its better  than windows I use it because i value  tradition and freedom of not being a slave of the corporate  system .

What about the Windows OS user-Friendliness?

It is a major reason why users

-Home users; not just Government and Corp. ones-

have selected Windows by more than 90%.

Why most users still prefer Windows,

which is Not Free,

over Linux which is Free?

*Because Linux is Not User-Friendly compared against Windows.

*Because Linux is Not compatible with Hardware the way Windows is.

Both my Printer and my Cell-Phone couldn't properly operate

the way they do with Windows.

Sorry, but If Linux fails to offer me what Windows does,

why should I use it?

Unless Linux changes drastically, most users will stay with Windows.

As far as the 'elitist' attitude of the Linux experts,

it is Not justified by the fact that they offer Free advice.

I know many Windows OS Forums,

like the Malware Removal Forums (where advice is Free, too),

where volunteers are patient and polite.

The 'elitist' attitude of the Linux experts is explained by

their false sense of being something special; unique.

This awkward way of treating users (and especially the novice ones...)

has been another reason for keeping users away from Linux.

25 minutes ago, pc71520 said:

-Home users; not just Government and Corp. ones-

have selected Windows by more than 90%.

Only reason  Microsoft makes the claim Windows 10 can block anyone from spying on governments is because  what  happened to the FBI  was a attack  on open source . They think they can make  many government to update there windows or switch from Linux . But most in Government uses paid Linux  Red Hat .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

But Russia is  talking about switching to Linux to spite Microsoft.

Russia might switch thousands of government computers to Linux to spite Microsoft

http://news.softpedia.com/news/russia-plans-to-move-to-linux-500278.shtml

When you go buy a pc it comes with windows every PC i ever bought did , so of course most home users use it, most people never installed a O/S in there life they buy pcs with windows and pay techs to fix them. Linux  is more a computer geek's thing at home . Most people never even tried Linux i didn't try it tell like 2014 1st i tired was in a vm  . Now i use it all the time.

Frankly, I don't care at all about

what Governments and Corporations claim or do

in respect with their PCs.

As a Home user, I went back to Windows,

because Linux failed to offer me

what Windows has done.

It is Linux that disappointed me.

As simple as that.

18 minutes ago, pc71520 said:

Frankly, I don't care at all about

what Governments and Corporations claim or do

in respect with their PCs.

As a Home user, I went back to Windows,

because Linux failed to offer me

what Windows has done.

It is Linux that disappointed me.

As simple as that.

That's why i told you to stay with windows you didn't  adapt to it as easy as some do . If windows is more easy for you stay with it,  but you dont speak for everyone . Don't forget Microsoft  even loves Linux even there Ceo  use it and they support it  in a product that sells better than windows  . Microsoft has not made no real money off windows since Windows 7. Microsoft makes most all its money from Microsoft Azure: Cloud Computing Platform & Services  witch support Linux And Servers  now.

Re: The REAL reasons more people don't use Linux

The real reason is that Linux isn't windows.

Most users already had enough trouble learning windows.

On top of that, no one wants to download, burn, and install the OS.

And were considered nerdy.

kYHXB6d.gif

One more time...

The problem was Not me.

It has Nothing to do with me as a User:

Patient to learn Linux or not, Clever or Not.

It was Linux that failed to support my devices (i.e. Printer, Cell-phone etc.)

Clear enough?

And I do Not speak for everybody...

However, less than 2% of PC users run Linux.

This must tell you that almost everybody (about 98%) of PC users

do Not have Linux on their PCs.

Linux is the exception; not the rule on a world-wide  PC usage.

*I am glad that Linux worked for you.

*In my case,

-like the majority of PC users-

Linux failed to respond to my needs.

1 minute ago, pc71520 said:

One more time...

The problem was Not me.

It has Nothing to do with me as a User:

Patient to learn Linux or not, Clever or Not.

It was Linux that failed to support my devices (i.e. Printer, Cell-phone etc.)

Clear enough?

And I do Not speak for everybody...

However, only 2% (or so...) of PC users run Linux.

This must tell you that almost everybody (about 98%) of PC users

do Not have Linux on their PCs.

It sort of like windows and all issues  it faces today i can complain and millions more do  but tell Microsoft  decides  to fix them were powerless but they have power to fix them but they dont.

I think GNU/ Linux  does pretty good  considering it runs on donations and they dont have money to do everything they want .

Why would they have it on there PCs they dont sell many pcs with it on it?

I dont want billions of noobs using Linux than it would become commercialized then it would take the fun out of it.

Have fun on you're same old windows 10 for the next 20 years . The biggest misconception about Linux is that the Linux community cares if its popular or not.

The only people worried about being popular is the Windows user base  were use to not being popular ,  Phones are just popular as pcs and its killing Microsoft . Android is a forum of Linux and its the most  popular and Apple is a close 2nd  but Microsoft is to phones as what Linux is to desktops  :P

"The ones who boast about Linux supremacy

are the same ones who keep aside Windows-running PCs."

-Why keeping Windows-running PCs when Linux is so perfect?

Because, Linux failed at least once (e.g. to support their devices)

and Linux proponents were forced to use Windows.

So, they keep Windows-running PCs just in case Linux fails again.

That's the sad truth, but only a few are eager to admit it...

"The ones who boast about Linux supremacy

are the same ones who keep aside Windows-running PCs."

-Why keeping Windows-running PCs when Linux is so perfect?

Because, Linux failed at least once (e.g. to support their devices)

and Linux proponents were forced to use Windows.

So, they keep Windows-running PCs just in case Linux fails again.

That's the sad truth, but only a few are eager to admit it...

You're  very unformed about the Linux community   some use  Linux and Windows , Some use Mac and Linux . Some use all 3 .   some just use Linux period for there own use but they still repair windows pc for a living  .  Most people who use Linux  are computer geeks.  Last i checked this this topic is about windows and you're using it for you're hate for Linux . I dont hate windows i like windows 7 and windows 8.1 a lot . I like to learn about all things computers  I even gave windows 10 the benefit of the doubt and tested it for 4 months . Some Linux users would never use Windows  . They stop  using it back in XP  times  or sooner  .They hate Windows as much as you hate Linux . But really i dont  I can use ether  and im fine . Last time i turned on  my windows machine was  Feb 07 8 days  ago i could live without it. LOL 

YnnnQaF.jpg

On 14/2/2016 at 6:14 PM, steven36 said:

if i need windows for a task I cant do on Linux,

I just turn on my windows pc. 

Most Linux proponents have done the same...

But only a few admit it...

:towel:

Archived