Does VMware Have a Real Future?

steven36

We all apperceive that technologies appear and go. Sometimes, technology companies do the aforementioned thing. I’ve continued anticipation that VMware’s canicule were numbered, and not because there’s annihilation amiss with its technology. 

UYXdk7A.png

VMware has bedeviled the virtualization bazaar anytime back that bazaar came into being. It has done so the ancient way: by alms acceptable software and support. What could go wrong? Well, amount is a big weakness if every amateur in the market, VMware included, is either alms a chargeless virtualization affairs or baking one into their operating systems. It’s harder to attempt with free.

Though VMware provides its low-end offerings for free, it can’t break in the bold by relying on those alone; it makes its money alone from affairs high-end virtualization and virtualization administration software. Unlike its competitors, VMware doesn’t accept abundant of a acquirement beck from operating systems and added products. And if it attempted to affected that weakness, it was blindsided. Added on that in a bit.

VMware’s better botheration is one that has laid added companies low: Microsoft. Slowly but surely, Microsoft’s Hyper-V has been authoritative assets adjoin VMware’s ESX . Gartner projects that in 2012, Hyper-V will annual for 27% of the market, up from 11% two years ago. Within that projected 27%, Gartner says Microsoft will yield 85% of all baby businesses that use basic servers.

On top of that, Windows 8 Server boasts a abundantly bigger adaptation of Hyper-V. Enterprise barter who accept they can’t go amiss affairs Microsoft are traveling to alpha allurement why they charge VMware as they move to Windows 8 Server.

But Microsoft isn’t the accomplished story, not even if you bandy its associate Citrix, with XenServer, into the mix. Multiple big IT vendors, including IBM, Hewlett-Packard, BMC Software, Intel and Red Hat, accept affiliated calm in the Open Virtualization Alliance to advance an open-source virtualization belvedere — Kernel-based Basic Machine (KVM) — as an another to VMware.

KVM has been maturing. Red Hat’s third adaptation of its KVM-based Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization affairs is abundantly improved. Some experts, like IDC analyst Gary Chen, anticipate it has what it takes to compete. And, of course, Red Hat is the Microsoft of the Linux market.

VMware has acted as if it, too, can see what’s coming. It wisely approved to get into the operating arrangement bold by affairs Novell and its SUSE Linux distribution, but at the endure minute, aphotic horse Attachmate swooped in and airtight up Novell . How could asleep little Attachmate cull this accord off? With a lot of advice from Microsoft , that’s how. To my mind, that adventure suggests that Microsoft still knows how to play hardball. Or maybe the accessible allegory is chess; Microsoft was searching several moves ahead. It didn’t wish VMware to be able to amalgamate its able virtualization portfolio with a able business Linux server.

And so, today, VMware is sitting exposed, admitting application a huge market-share bend in the virtualization market. It’s in a anemic position because it can’t action barter a complete virtualization/operating arrangement vertical stack.

Of course, VMware will say its rivals’ commoditized virtualization hypervisors aren’t about as acceptable as its able programs. That may be so, but it doesn’t absolutely amount if what the antagonism is alms for chargeless is acceptable enough. That’s a accord that’s clumsily boxy to beat.

The Source

• Replies 3
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What to use on Windows now? VirtualBox is completely inferior in every way I've used.

On OS X, just use Parallels, but Workstation was the undisputed king of VMs on Windows. Much better than Hyper-V the last I tried that.

I use VMware workstation I just installed version twelve and I dont think vmware is going anywhere and if it does Ill use the version they released before they died to me VMware is not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Holmes said:

I use VMware workstation I just installed version twelve and I dont think vmware is going anywhere and if it does Ill use the version they released before they died to me VMware is not going anywhere.

If its still around  its going  have to change a lot  for the future . If they always  make windows 10 it will be almost  dead  . Developers  used  it for xp , vista , win 7 , windows 8.1 and now windows 10 . Microsoft is saying there going keep making windows 10  meaning by 2022  they will be no other windows O/S on the market . This is if it just wasn't a lie and they get as many on Windows 10 as they can and make Windows 11.   If windows 10 keeps going the Windows VM biz  will never make them no real money.

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger is banking that network virtualization will be a bigger deal for the company than its bread-and-butter vSphere server virtualization lineup in the not-so-distant future.

He’d better hope so. As Gelsinger himself put it Wednesday, vSphere has 80% market share in corporate data centers, so there’s not that much room for growth there.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/10/vmware-ceo-network-virtualization/

There switching over to the cloud like Microsoft is . Microsoft dont make no money selling windows much any more since windows 7 .. they make there money  from cloud  products and servers.  Microsoft not only has the highest market share  for PC O/S  also they hive high market share  for virtualization software.

Archived