Microsoft: You Must Install This Patch No Matter Your Windows Version

Karamjit

Redmond releases security update for all Windows versions

One of the updates that Microsoft rolled out as part of this month’s Patch Tuesday cycle comes to address a critical security flaw in absolutely all Windows versions that are still being supported, starting with Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and ending with Windows 10.

MS16-013 is an update flagged by Microsoft as critical and fixes a Windows Journal vulnerability that would allow an attacker to get control of an unpatched system.

Microsoft explains:

“This security update resolves a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Journal file. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights.”

“For an attack to be successful, this vulnerability requires that a user open a specially crafted Journal file with an affected version of Windows Journal. In an email attack scenario, an attacker could exploit the vulnerability by sending a specially crafted Journal file to the user and then convincing the user to open the file.”

What to do until the patch is installed

In case you haven’t yet installed the patch, Microsoft recommends users to avoid opening suspicious file attempts, but also to remove the .jnt file type association to make sure that Windows Journal won’t be launched to allow cybercriminals to exploit the flaw. Needless to say, if you still want to open .jnt files, you need a third-party solution with support for this extension.

Additionally, you can remove Windows JOunrla by disabling the Windows feature that installs it (which is called Tablet PC Components in Windows 7 and 8.1) or deny access to Journal.exe through a firewall.

Obviously, the best way to remain protected is to install the new patch, which is currently being shipped via Windows Update to Windows computers, but as a general recommendation, it’s better not to open any files coming from unknown sources anyway.

From: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-you-must-install-this-patch-no-matter-your-windows-version-500207.shtml

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see "Tablet PC Components" in my win. 8.1 x64, of course when I installed mine I went for as much as a desktop PC as possible. I looked in turn windows features on or off - not even listed. Who would open a journal file anyway? 

As long as its not a get windows 10 patch i dont care .Whats the deal with windows 7 updates being so slow it takes hours to get  updates to come up on a laptop  that i  turned updates off on the other day. I never had this problem with Win 8.1.  I had my share of problems with Windows 10 updates when testing it but they just errors  it was never slow ether . I think M$  is making Win  7 updates slow on purpose

Microsoft: You Must ?! Install This Patch No Matter Your Windows Version

suck my....lollipop micro$oft :)

my today's update (from whole package) snap  below

gbiz5l4p2rle.jpg

think is more than enough for so old & balanced OS as win 7 is.

@steven36

any issue with win7 updates here.

Yeah, same problem on my Win7-laptop,already a very long time searching...............

Those M$-guys will do everything to push you over the edge , just use your patience !

btw; still no info about KB 2920718 !

Maybe a tricky "get Win10"-update ?

12 minutes ago, gipsy said:

suck my....lollipop micro$oft :)

my today's update (from whole package) snap  below

think is more than enough for so old & balanced OS as win 7 is

@steven36

any issue with win7 updates here.

I search  the internet about this, it seems to be a common problem with windows 7 to take a very long time to come up. Before it never was no problem because i just kept it on auto updates . Now with so many get  windows 10 patches i dont  want them on all the time.. the PC OP  wanted  it turned off automatic  . Its a real pain to fool with since im doing it for another PC user  in my network not my own ones. :) 

I will only install the updates which gave me clear explanation what they for and what they do on my system .............

Just now, Pete 12 said:

I will only install the updates which gave me clear explanation what they for and what they do on my system .............

yeah man,keep believin' to an explanations :).

btw.what kind of win7 do you usin? means VL or retail?

10 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

No security update  will be really ones  you have to worry about.. the ones  to look out for are ones not labeled  security..  its not my  pc no way .. so i dont care as long it dont update to windows 10 .

They will never fix Windows 7 updates ether  because main stream support  ended January 13, 2015 . So only ones you will get is security updates , Spy updates and get windows 10 ones lol.

I got that laptop  updated today had to leave  it on a hour checking for updates  and check  the box for the  new .Net  23 updates for windows 7/Office 2010 . I had to hide  2 get windows 10 updates on  this go around .  After you install the new .net  there's  2 more updates  for  it as well  so you need  to check 2 times.  I will do my windows 8.1 PC  the next time i bother to turn windows  on . :)

9 hours ago, SURbit said:

I don't see "Tablet PC Components" in my win. 8.1 x64, of course when I installed mine I went for as much as a desktop PC as possible. I looked in turn windows features on or off - not even listed. Who would open a journal file anyway? 

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-013

Workarounds:

On Windows 7 or Vista:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and then click Programs.
  2. Click Turn Windows Features on or off.
  3. Uncheck Tablet PC Components (Tablet PC Optional Components on Windows Vista Systems).
  4. Click OK.

Impact of workaround.  Users will be unable to use Windows Journal or other Tablet PC Components.

Note Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 do not provide a mechanism to disable Windows Journal.

Remove the .jnt file type association SEE-

Interactive Method or Using a Managed Script or Deny access to Journal.exe  (same page)          

Archived